AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Charlie. I have a quick question concerning the 54/2800 L-1090 reload. I noticed after assembly of said motor reload in an older AT 54/2800 Motor (10/31/2008, Sn#13) that there is an awful lot of grain travel and that the rear closure is seated with 3/16" of thread showing. There is 9/16" of liner visible before Nozzle installation with the nozzle shoulder being 5/16" or less. That leaves 1/4" of grain travel. I checked on my 54/2560 loaded with a K-270 reload and there is only about 1/8" of grain travel, nozzle being of the same shoulder dimensions and the rear closures seats fully with no threads exposed. (Brand new AT motor just purchased last month) I did install all 4 of the grain spacers and actually reloaded the motor several times to insure I didn't miss anything. I fly predominantly "W" loads and have always noticed a little grain travel on all of them but this seems a little excessive. Please advise if this is normal or should I trim 1/8" or so from the liner length. The date code for the reload is 082515. Thanks in advance for your help with this matter. Oz

It's been too quite for too long...

If one were supposing that there were products constantly in development at Aerotech, then one might assume there was a development and introduction schedule giving some idea when products might make it to market...

For those of us who watch this thread and this forum, what are the chances that we could be given some idea when such products may become available for purchase. It is popular to inform the buying public in advance of introduction in many industries. "Xx product coming to stores in November" is not unusual to see. It would seem Aerotech is big enough and mature enough to do something similar for more of their products with longer lead times.

There have been many hints of products in development on this thread but no timeline to help us plan our buying strategies. The holidays are coming and, to take advantage of the gift-giving spirit, some of us need to be planting seeds very early. If a product hinted at is not really going to be available until February 2016, then to subtly ask for it as a present (possibly even to oneself) by December 25 may create a dilemma if one can't obtain said product in time.

So, Aerotech, could you offer us a listing of products (including the ones you have already hinted at) and their approximate release dates for the next quarter? We know that there will be time to get products to dealers and all that, but it would really help knowing what lies ahead for those of us who are waiting for certain new products with baited breath.

A few items on the personal short list - 75mm RAS, 24/60 F33FJ and F34R reloads.

Anything you can share?

The short answer is that no dates will be announced for anything until I am confident in them. We have several projects going on and many of them will be released in the next 15-45 days. On deck is the 54mm short spacer to complete the 54RAS. Official Announcement will be made on Monday.

The 75RAS is about 3-4 weeks out but it will still need time for certification which varies quite a bit.

The 24/40 loads are being developed but that is all I can say. Delay issues shelved the F33 and F34 so we are looking at some cool alternatives.

I can confirm 6 new kits but that process is just beginning so at least 4-6 months. I will start posting our press releases here so you all can be apprised as to what is new at AeroTech and Quest.

The new products may not be out yet but I just got a good sized order with no back ordered items and a 1 week turn around. That right there tells me things are improving in the world of AT.

Thanks for the feedback Bob, we are really focused on quicker turnaround times and completeness of orders. 2-3 weeks is a realistic goal and we are almost there.

I've shot two I357-14 EZ's in the past month. One I drilled 2 seconds off and it deployed way too early and zippered my rocket. The other I didn't drill and still it was WAY too early. Seems the delays are way off.

Now this one looks exiting - the kind of exiting where I can't resist of making a fool of myself by speculating.

Counting pixels, the motor appears to be about 10-20% longer than the longest 98mm comparable casings in the market. Tony's picture doesn't look like White Lightning, so I assume we're talking about Propellant-X. Looks like an O7000 with 22-24kNs. How many rockets do you plan to shred with that thing? ;-)

Reinhard

Man that is pretty good analysis! We haven't put it on the stand yet but it is around an O5000X. DMS. We will leave the shredding to the researchers😀

I have a new question that hopefully wont be un-answered for long ...

Are you coming out to Oktoberfest in Las Vegas next month ??!?

Kenny

Well I wasn't planning it but I may need to be out there anyway. I will be at November ROCSTOCK though for the last launch of the year.

Hi AT folks-

I'm hoping you can briefly discuss a couple of small-motor development points that I believe you're working on... Appreciate any info you can provide on:
  • 24mm sparky reloads (as pictured on your website with the caption "Barbara Grocki`s rocket on a 24mm diameter `F`-class Aerotech Metalstorm motor at MDRA`s Red Glare VIII Launch (photo by Dan Michael)")
  • development of (or challenges associated with) additional reloads for the 24/60 case
  • any progress on re-issuing a redline reload for the 29/40-120 case
  • Are any other propellant types being examined for the 29/40-120 case? I'd love to see a sparky!

Thanks in advance!
Erik McKee

A lot of good questions on the hobby line stuff that many others may have so I'll chip away here bit by bit.

24mm sparkies are something I'll have to find out more about but I believe Karl has been messing with something back there.

24/60 loads had some delay issues so that is also being worked on. We would like to be able to eventually offer the different propellants in as many sizes as possible. The hobby stuff isn't as bad but sparkies have regulations that have to be kept in mind.

29/40-120 redline is also being worked on as well as some other new flavors.

Hello Charlie. I have a quick question concerning the 54/2800 L-1090 reload. I noticed after assembly of said motor reload in an older AT 54/2800 Motor (10/31/2008, Sn#13) that there is an awful lot of grain travel and that the rear closure is seated with 3/16" of thread showing. There is 9/16" of liner visible before Nozzle installation with the nozzle shoulder being 5/16" or less. That leaves 1/4" of grain travel. I checked on my 54/2560 loaded with a K-270 reload and there is only about 1/8" of grain travel, nozzle being of the same shoulder dimensions and the rear closures seats fully with no threads exposed. (Brand new AT motor just purchased last month) I did install all 4 of the grain spacers and actually reloaded the motor several times to insure I didn't miss anything. I fly predominantly "W" loads and have always noticed a little grain travel on all of them but this seems a little excessive. Please advise if this is normal or should I trim 1/8" or so from the liner length. The date code for the reload is 082515. Thanks in advance for your help with this matter. Oz

I'm not sure Oz, let me find out and I'll post it tomorrow after I get with either Gary or Karl.

Man that is pretty good analysis! We haven't put it on the stand yet but it is around an O5000X. DMS. We will leave the shredding to the researchers��

Shred means airframe failure ;) It's a compliment to the motor.

I've shot two I357-14 EZ's in the past month. One I drilled 2 seconds off and it deployed way too early and zippered my rocket. The other I didn't drill and still it was WAY too early. Seems the delays are way off.
AT announced an issue with 38mm EZ reloads this summer, specifically the molded delay element, and is offering free CRDKs to use standard forward closures. Check the announcements on their web site. Happened to me too, -6 was actually a -0... AT replaced the motor, as it did significant damage to the rocket, no hassle.

-Paul

I know someone had concerns about 24/40 availability, I just got mine today from Wildman. Looking forward to abusing some more estes kits :)

Also, it's great to hear from Aerotech, I'd love to see a red hobbyline load, and I'm excited about the prospect of new 24s. Good to have an update from you guys.

Nate

Thanks for the reply, Charlie. That's just the kind of intel that can help shape important decisions. Look forward to hearing more in the next few weeks. And seeing your press releases on TRF will benefit many!

The "24/40" below is probably supposed to be "24/60" based upon later posts.

The short answer is that no dates will be announced for anything until I am confident in them. We have several projects going on and many of them will be released in the next 15-45 days. On deck is the 54mm short spacer to complete the 54RAS. Official Announcement will be made on Monday.

The 75RAS is about 3-4 weeks out but it will still need time for certification which varies quite a bit.

The 24/40 loads are being developed but that is all I can say. Delay issues shelved the F33 and F34 so we are looking at some cool alternatives.

I can confirm 6 new kits but that process is just beginning so at least 4-6 months. I will start posting our press releases here so you all can be apprised as to what is new at AeroTech and Quest.

Sorry to hear that. We have issued a notice on the EZ reloads that instructs users to use the RMS-Plus delay system until we figure out the EZ issue. If you have anymore EZs, PM me so I can send you the delay kit.

This thread is rather large so I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I was going to purchase some 18/20 reloads and I see the price increased 70% from 9.99 to 16.99. Why such a large increase? The 18/20 use to be a very economical alternative to BP motors.

This thread is rather large so I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I was going to purchase some 18/20 reloads and I see the price increased 70% from 9.99 to 16.99. Why such a large increase? The 18/20 use to be a very economical alternative to BP motors.

Wow, that is excessive.

Shop around, Aerotech Value Rockets $12.99 - Red Arrow - $11.99. Your vendor must of added a few percent to the increase.

That Value Rocket price is for the smallest R/C re-load. For a re-load like the D13 it is $16.99. Can anyone verify they have actually received an $11.99 re-load from Red Arrow? This price increase will eliminate my use of the 18/20 reloads.

Tom

Shop around, Aerotech Value Rockets $12.99 - Red Arrow - $11.99. Your vendor must of added a few percent to the increase.

$16.99 is the Value Rockets price. Value Rockets charges $12.99 for the R/C reloads.

I can certainly understand a small price increase but 70%? I agree with Kartman - this price will eliminate my use.

That Value Rocket price is for the smallest R/C re-load. For a re-load like the D13 it is $16.99. Can anyone verify they have actually received an $11.99 re-load from Red Arrow? This price increase will eliminate my use of the 18/20 reloads.

Tom

You are correct, my bad on the Value Rockets site. I see the 24/40's went up in price too. I guess almost everything did. Small increases aren't bad but hard to absorb major ones. Wildman has great prices on all the hobbyline motors, but looks like he does not stock the 18mm's.

You are correct, my bad on the Value Rockets site. I see the 24/40's went up in price too. I guess almost everything did. Small increases aren't bad but hard to absorb major ones. Wildman has great prices on all the hobbyline motors, but looks like he does not stock the 18mm's.

18mm is no longer on the dealer order forms since value rockets is selling them direct. I sure wish they were still on it as I have customers ask for them and have to turn away sales on it.

Welp, I won't be flying any 18s anytime soon at those prices. I really, really loved them at $10 a pack, that was great. But now it's just not worth it. I'd probably even pay $13, or thereabout, but $17 is just too much for me.

Nate

Back