AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received this yesterday, didn't see it on their facebook page, home page or listed here anywhere

Thanks for passing this along. I have a J450DM I purchased in April and was planning to fly in July, dated 10/14/16. I'll definitely hold off until my vendor has replacements. I dealt with the damage when the front of a J250W DMS blew apart on my Dad's first L2 attempt, I have no interest in going through that again. :p

Thanks for passing this along. I have a J450DM I purchased in April and was planning to fly in July, dated 10/14/16. I'll definitely hold off until my vendor has replacements. I dealt with the damage when the front of a J250W DMS blew apart on my Dad's first L2 attempt, I have no interest in going through that again. :p

I had the front of a J250 fail on me as well. Still have another one with the same date code as the failed one. Contacted AT and Karl replaced both for me. I like the ease of the DMS, but it seems like the date codes on each motor are hit and miss.

Why dose AT use a date code like they do. I have a J450 24th day 10th Month year16. Why can't they just stamp 10/24/2016?
A lot of businesses do something like this so uneducated consumers won't complain about 'old' product. Obviously I can't speak on behalf of AT, but it seems rational enough.

I had the front of a J250 fail on me as well. Still have another one with the same date code as the failed one. Contacted AT and Karl replaced both for me. I like the ease of the DMS, but it seems like the date codes on each motor are hit and miss.

I ask the same question- did you fill out a MESS report at motorcato.org?

CTI has no problem with printing their date codes so it can be understood. You don't need to be to smart to read the date on the package and file a MESS report. It should not be written in a secret code.

CTI has no problem with printing their date codes so it can be understood. You don't need to be to smart to read the date on the package and file a MESS report. It should not be written in a secret code.

I absolutely understand your desire for an easily read date, but that should not prevent filing MESS reports. You don't need to be able to understand the date code to fill out the MESS report; just enter what printed on the packaging.

You are right Steve. Sometimes when buying reloads on site I look at the dates on a motor I am looking at. The way CTI does it is just simpler to remember. AT needs to do it as they see is the best for them.

I ask the same question- did you fill out a MESS report at motorcato.org?

I did for mine as soon as I got back to internet, had a picture of the blown DMS casing and 240fps pad cam video of the event that I provided along with my report. It was at XPRS and AT was on-site, we showed them the failure and they handed us another J250W DMS, after we put the rocket back together on the field he flew that one for a successful L2 cert. We were both a bit hesitant to throw the same type of motor in it that just caused us a full day of extra work and lost opportunity for other flights, but the second try was successful at least.

I did for mine as soon as I got back to internet, had a picture of the blown DMS casing and 240fps pad cam video of the event that I provided along with my report. It was at XPRS and AT was on-site, we showed them the failure and they handed us another J250W DMS, after we put the rocket back together on the field he flew that one for a successful L2 cert. We were both a bit hesitant to throw the same type of motor in it that just caused us a full day of extra work and lost opportunity for other flights, but the second try was successful at least.

Thank you also!

Just to clarify- this is a new issue with the L1000 (and others), that's separate from the thrust ring issue from before, right?

Why dose AT use a date code like they do. I have a J450 24th day 10th Month year16. Why can't they just stamp 10/24/2016?

IIRC, Estes switched from a date to a code when consumers started complaining that retailers were selling motors past the expiration date. In other words they thought the date was an expiration date or a 'sell by date'.

Charlie (and anyone else...), I have two questions. First, on 38mm motors can I use a the aluminum forward seal disk on the forward and aft ends of the liner instead of those fiber washers (for ex use)? The fiber washers are a pain to keep replacing and the seal disks work great, just not sure yet about putting one on the aft end. Second, has anyone tried 98mm graphite nozzles in AT cases? I'm wondering if the heat soak would destroy the case. It would not be a long burn with graphite, just an average few second burn. I use graphite nozzles in 54mm cases and they work well, but I'm not trying to make a 98mm case single use...
I'll post this on the research forum as well, as I may get more people with experience but they use mostly snap ring cases and I prefer to stick with AT.

The new cases are in and we are shipping the replacement motors at this time. Get with your dealer and check the status on replacements.

I received this yesterday, didn't see it on their facebook page, home page or listed here anywhere...I had one of the "small number" of L-1000's this last weekend at NXRS mfg november 15, 2016 that had the casing separate and cato, a reminder for the date code, for it's YMDDMY 111516 so first and last make the year, ie 16, second and fifth make the month, ie 11, 3rd and forth make the day, 15. I did have two that I had previously flown from May and August that worked fine. Gary was there at NXRS and looked at it and thought the wind angle may have been at fault, which this confirms.

Dear AeroTech Retailer,

We have recently received reports of a very small number of case failures of the 54mm J450DM and L1000W, and the 75mm M1350W.

After investigation, we discovered that the wind angle on the fiberglass cases used in these motors is out of specification. This reduces the strength of the case and could result in an increased incidence of motor failures.

Please pull any of the above mentioned motors from your stock that have been received since January 1, 2016. Also, return the M1350W case assemblies (nozzle, case & liner) you currently have to AeroTech/RCS as soon as possible. Do not sell any of the M1350Ws until the case assemblies have been replaced.

Please contact any customers you may have sold these to and let them know so they can be replaced if not already used.

Let us know the number of these motors that you have in stock and we will send you replacements as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your continued support.

If you haven't, you still should. MESS reports are currently the only way to track how well the manufacturers do at providing consistent products. It's very important that users help.

The only way for us to find out about motor failures consistently is to fill out the MESS report. It is a great tool for us to use to ensure our products are operating correctly.

Charlie (and anyone else...), I have two questions. First, on 38mm motors can I use a the aluminum forward seal disk on the forward and aft ends of the liner instead of those fiber washers (for ex use)? The fiber washers are a pain to keep replacing and the seal disks work great, just not sure yet about putting one on the aft end. Second, has anyone tried 98mm graphite nozzles in AT cases? I'm wondering if the heat soak would destroy the case. It would not be a long burn with graphite, just an average few second burn. I use graphite nozzles in 54mm cases and they work well, but I'm not trying to make a 98mm case single use...
I'll post this on the research forum as well, as I may get more people with experience but they use mostly snap ring cases and I prefer to stick with AT.

Hey Daniel,
I'll ask Gary and Karl what their thoughts are and post their response here.

It will likely torch the aft seal disk hole open destroying it. The gas flow accelerates as it approaches the nozzle and will erode the hole open.

ATG (Charles),
Any word on when you might be shipping the 54FFCE?
I've had one on back-order with my dealer for several months now.
-Chuck

ATG (Charles),
Any word on when you might be shipping the 54FFCE?
I've had one on back-order with my dealer for several months now.
-Chuck

Hi Chuck,

We have those in stock and have had them for some time. Not sure who your dealer is, I feel they might not be 100% forthcoming about the delay though. That's all I will comment at this point. Let me know how it goes via PM.

ATGM/Charles- any news on the 29/40-120 red load? or is it still currently hanging out with NAR S+T?

The physical testing is the only thing preventing us from moving forward on the 24/60 loads, F67WS and the Quest 18mm AP motors.

Thanks! I'm TOTALLY waiting with $$$ for the F67s :) In the meantime I've placed several orders of F44-4's to find that they are backordered again. Is there any guidance as to when supply on those will start rolling out? They've been backordered from my two favorite vendors for three months now.

Back