Jet Hitch Thrusters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dumbest and most irresponsible idea ever for a rocketry vendor. I was hoping for a new and exciting new product not something like this. The web site indicates future 75 and 98 mm engines. Bumper mounted M's any one? Unbelievable. All that I can hope is this is actually a hoax setup by hackers (not likely however).

This whole thing is incredibly stupid and irresponsible... I posted a message on FB and I sent in a "contact us" form on the website. I really don't wanna lose this vendor because of something so stupid....

I still think it is/was an avenue to circumvent TRA testing and allow people to fly AT motors at research launches without the rigamarole of certifying the loads.

Just to add a data point- none of the "follow us" buttons work.

Nate

This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life.

If it's seriously an effects motor for trucks they wouldn't be "rated" rocketry style motors, have thrust curves, or be so styled to rocketry. They'd be lower thrust and longer burning.

Which leaves it as an end-run around motor testing. Which makes ZERO sense, and is indeed a spit in the face to all of us. We are the NAR and TRA.

I've loved AT motors, but if this is the direction they're going I'll be dumping my hardware shortly when it's still worth something.

Aerotech has let their catalog lapse, and been all over the place with product releases. The entire product line is disjointed and disorganized. They started an update to the forward closures with RMS-EZ, then never finished it through the productline. Users are all invested in hardware, and they release a bunch of DMS motors. I've lost count of how many delay drill tools I need, and need to consult the rosetta stone before drilling anything to make sure i have the right one. The hardware manufacturer drops out, and they seem to have fumbled picking that back up.

And now this.....stupidity. It seems like something's going on over there, and it's either a lot of drugs, or they're going down the drain fast.

Unreal.

Here's a couple of thoughts for AT:

1. How about instead of spending time focusing on coming up with idiotic products that jepordize our hobby they focus on clearing out the gigantic backlog of casing orders their loyal customers are pining for?!

2. Guess the laser thing didn't work out. (I stole that from somewhere else. I'm sure Anthony will understand lol.)

3. This has to be the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen since "He who shall not be named" claimed to be the father of all of high powered rocketry...

Last edited:
I contacted them through their webpage with a lengthy explanation of my (our) concerns

Nate

That's a 54/1706 case. Totally not a rocket product at all there.

17699273302_cc2634afa6_b.jpg

I'm still finding it hard to believe this isn't a joke…

If this really is serious, it's a really terrible idea.

I'm still finding it hard to believe this isn't a joke…

If this really is serious, it's a really terrible idea.

It would have to be a very elaborate joke --- fake website, fake Facebook post, someone to answer the phone...

I've loved AT motors, but if this is the direction they're going I'll be dumping my hardware shortly when it's still worth something

I am almost there and may join you on that one. I have collected a good bit of AT 29-54mm hardware in a relatively short period and up until know was quite happy to do so. The only down-side to this is that it would hurt our local vendors and my local AT vendor is a great family guy that I also fly with. So I hope AT responds appropriately before this thing goes any further, otherwise there may be a few more AT items listed in the for sale threads after this one.

I also believe they owe the community an explanation and apology as this move seems to fly in the face of the challenges that the community, before my time, has fought so hard to overcome, as DAllen listed.

If this continues, I will also be selling my AT hardware after LDRS...

Well, I think the TRA BOD needs to simply ban them from all events, and exclude them from flying as EX.

We should urge our vendors to switch to other manufacturers before this hurts them.

Unless I missed something the first time I saw their page, they've added some new stuff like safety instructions, etc. This is in no way a redeeming quality or progress, just something to look at. I doubt anyone buying one of these will have any interest in safety. This is merely an update.

Nate

Last edited:
We should urge our vendors to switch to other manufacturers before this hurts them.

I am pretty sure my local AT vendor would love to pick up CTI, however I believe he cannot due to an exclusive agreement between CTI and my local CTI vendor, and the two vendors don't play nice. I wonder if Loki is an option for him in Canada. Good time to plant the seed!

Like the "Hold my beer" crowd is going to follow safety instructions. That is assuming they can even read.

Absolutely, I wasn't implying this was progress, let alone a redeeming quality, just something to take a look at- they're serious, aren't they....

Nate

Okay, its drag race time.
11257656_1032882480076088_1791535447_n.jpg

I saw the pic a few months ago when I toured Aerotech. Okay, thats cool and whatever but I didn't think they'd turn it into a product, much less an entirely different devision of RCS.
I think this will die pretty quickly. I don't think AT anticipated the response they would get from the community. All the posts on the FB page, the TRA email thread, THIS thread will probably be enough to make them reconsider.

Alex

Looks like Loki might have to ramp up, if Aerotech truly sells these things then my money will start going to Loki.

Unless I missed something the first time I saw their page, they've added some new stuff like safety instructions, etc.

Nate

lol you're assuming that the type of mentality that would actually strap one of these to his bumper is capable of reading. I view this as seeding for a Darwin award! Notice I said "his", sadly us guys, and I include myself, seem to lack judgment until a certain age, like early 30's for the most part. Even at 49, as Cody said, the idea is appealing, but I am happy to say that this stage of my life I now have the ability to see the potential for repercussions.

My wife is a High school teacher and they had a behavioral psychologist come in for a seminar to discuss the differences between the adolescent female and male. Apparently the male brain is physiologically late in developing the area that is responsible for cognitive reasoning skills :confused:. I would say that some guys seem to never develop this area of their brain.

lol you're assuming that the type of mentality that would actually strap one of these to his bumper is capable of reading. I view this as seeding for a Darwin award! Notice I said "his", sadly us guys, and I include myself, seem to lack judgment until a certain age, like early 30's for the most part. Even at 49, as Cody said, the idea is appealing, but I am happy to say that this stage of my life I now have the ability to see the potential for repercussions.

My wife is a High school teacher and they had a behavioral psychologist come in for a seminar to discuss the differences between the adolescent female and male. Apparently the male brain is physiologically late in developing the area that is responsible for cognitive reasoning skills :confused:. I would say that some guys seem to never develop this area of their brain.

Nope, I'm not, in fact, assuming that anyone buying this would have any interest in safety. It was just an update- something new going on, so Ifigured I'd post it. I have updated said post to better reflect my intentions.

Nate

The website is either gone now, or it has been overrun with traffic and depleted its bandwidth.

A few years ago, some of our Northwest Florida bubbas were seriously injured leaning over the bed of a pick up truck, drinking beer, and playing with a live hand grenade. They were lucky the sheet metal of the truck bed stopped most of the shrapnel.

Back