Jet Hitch Thrusters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it's definitely real. How stupid. Someone is going to "shock and awe" themselves right into the grave. Or more likely the victim will be an innocent bystander. "Hey, Bubba! Watch me smoke this guy behind us!"

How could such a product even be legal?

I doubt it is, at least in many states. Here in Florida, if you light off a smoke generating device on your vehicle and a cop sees it, you're going to get arrested.

I wonder how many neighborhoods are going to be burned to the ground by the J375 Metalstorm.

Not gonna lie, I kinda want one...

You're not the only one, but you are also not an idiot. This is the kind of thing referred to as an "attractive nuisance". It has a lot of appeal, but is dangerous.

You'd need an L2 to buy these motors for rocketry. That process screens out yahoos, for the most part.

HPR motors used to be restricted to certified users, and these can very well be used in rockets as well. Now anyone 18 and older can get their hands on them. Say good by to Rocketry as we know it, and after all the time and money spent on the lawsuit with the BATF.

Bond a thrust ring to the case and use electronic deploy and it's perfectly flyable... So stupid. I'm wondering if the rocketry community should start distancing ourselves from Aerotech so we have a leg to stand on when this becomes a regulatory issue. I had nothing against Aerotech, I flew a I327DM for my L1 a month ago. People are worried my flight computer project will get us in trouble but it's things like this, and guys shooting rockets with with blanks in a rifle that will cause us problems.

Last edited:
Aerotech has a really good chance of screwing themselves big time with this. They should not be looking around for novel new uses for rocket motors outside of legitimate rocketry. Someone will do something very stupid, and the resulting legislation will sweep up their useful products as well. Whoever at AT decided this product was a good idea is very short-sighted.

We may need to boycott Aero Tech products in protest. It would be better to force one supplier out of the hobby rocketry business than have the entire hobby legislated out of existence.

I've already made up my mind. Although I do have a CTI 38mm. starter set, bought three years ago, I never bought a load for it yet. That is mainly because Aerotech came out with sparkies. When I became a BAR did not have much of a choice for reloads, and bought all the DR.Rockets hardware. Always liked the Aerotech loads still do, but that's it for me. I still can't believe this crap!!

Burn 'em while you can!!

Last edited:
I am shocked. This is truly pathetic; I really have no words. What numbskull thought it would be a good idea to sell high power rocket motor to anyone who wants them, and then go so far as to say, almost literally, "hey, strap this to your truck, It'll look cool!!"!!??? Furthermore, whatever idiot had this idea, they clearly knew plenty about the rocket community, being a rocketry vendor and all, I hope they know what they're doing, because it has the potential to destroy the hobby. This hobby has become what it is (from what I gather) based upon everyone being smart, logical, making good decisions, and regulating ourselves logically and reasonably. This terrible decision by RCS goes against all of these characteristics. This is a stupid, illogical idea, that will force the Gov't into further regulation. If they're selling previously regulated things in an unregulated fashion, that's when the Gov't steps in, which leads to further regulation than we've experienced before.

Then there's the sheer safety aspect of it all. Imagine your average Joe, someone with no knowledge of rocketry, safe practices, etc having unregulated access to K+ class 2", 3", and 4" motors. It's crazy! The possibilities are terribly endless, "ameteur rocket motor blows up, kills 2 in car" "presumed terrorist blows up rocket motors, injures 7" "house catches fire after ameteur rocket goes wrong" Plus, besides the "intended" use, there's plenty of destructive uses for a 2" sparky motor I am seriously concerned for Aerotech. This has the potential to easily shut them down, and shut down the hobby. As soon as someone kills him/herself with one of these (which won't take long) it's all over. Then the regs will come in, membership will decrease, manufacturers will be regulated into non-existence, and the hobby will be gone. I am saddened, and, frankly, enraged.

It is astronomically irresponsible of them to make these motors available to the general public, and put their own survival, let alone the survival of the hobby, in severe jeopardy. This is not where they should be focusing their resources. they need to be focusing them on fixing backorders, communicating information better, improving their website, and developing new, better products, ones that move their focus in a specific direction, not a new DMS motor here, a new product line here, a major switchover here, etc. Again, I am truly shocked, I expected more out of Aerotech. This is a truly unfortunate move.

Nate

Last edited:
I am not in any way a social media junkie, however I suggest folks consider posting to the Aerotech Face Book page their displeasure to this.

I am not in any way a social media junkie, however I suggest folks consider posting to the Aerotech Face Book page their displeasure to this.

Yup, just decided I'm creating a facebook account- something I swore I'd never do- to express my extreme displeasure.

Nate

How long will it be before someone thinking this is a display item akin to roman candle, not understanding it has significant thrust, tests one in a garage or backyard?

You're not the only one, but you are also not an idiot. This is the kind of thing referred to as an "attractive nuisance". It has a lot of appeal, but is dangerous.

You'd need an L2 to buy these motors for rocketry. That process screens out yahoos, for the most part.

I do find it strange how Aerotech seems to of completely disregarded a well precedented and approved certification process, which they no doubt had a hand in establishing. I cannot think of any reason why they would bring this product to market which has potential to do harm to the industry and our hobby except in that they believe they may pick up a small amount of market share.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I for one will not be investing in anymore AT hardware as this moves seems more desperate than innovative.

Someone needs to post a link to this outpouring of knowledge and reason to their Facebook page

Yup, just decided I'm creating a facebook account- something I swore I'd never do- to express my extreme displeasure.

Nate

BEWARE, once you create that account there is no getting rid of it! You can close it down but it will remain and as soon as you log in again it will reactivate.

BEWARE, once you create that account there is no getting rid of it! You can close it down but it will remain and as soon as you log in again it will reactivate.

Exhibit A of why I never wanted to join.

Nate

Good idea but unfortunately, that's rather pointless as they'll just delete any negative posts as they did to mine just now.

Another thought. Let's petition NAR and TRA to decertify all AeroTech motors until they shut down this idiotic product line.

That would hurt our vendors, and I'm sure everyone including myself would like to use up our stock. Hopefully NAR/TRA will express their feelings about this to Aerotech, RCS, whoever.

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek....). Two thoughts here. First, what do you suppose will happen if there is some kind of fuel leak in the vehicle, and this is set off? Second, I don't think this will fly in California. Once the CARB (Calif. Air Resources Board) gets wind of this, it will be outlawed as failing to pass the vehicle emissions standards.

Phil L.

From facebook:

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace
May 12 at 1:23pm ·
Join us at the Dairy Aire launch this weekend near Lemoore, CA as we unveil some new AeroTech motors and other RCS products that are sure to generate controversy and excitement!! Also get a chance to meet our new General Manager, Charles Savoie!

They've removed their facebook post announcing Jethitch just a few minutes ago. Hopefully that idea is dead, but I wouldn't count on it.

I saw it's gone, and it's either a step in the right direction towards getting rid of it, or a step in the wrong direction, towards hiding the logic and reason that dictates this being a bad idea.

Nate

I won't buy anymore Aerotech products. Simple as that.
You just know some idiot has already ordered some of these with plans to use them in "Non-Recoverable Rocketry".:mad:
And of course they will post their idiocy to youtube.

They've removed their facebook post announcing Jethitch just a few minutes ago. Hopefully that idea is dead, but I wouldn't count on it.

Yeah but the web site is still up.

This pisses me off on so many levels. A lot of you here haven't been in the hobby long enough to remember the good 'ol days when we were fighting the ATF. Between the NAR and the TRA we spent countless hours and roughly $400k as I recall fighting the ATF's onerous and incorrect regulations. Imagine having to store any motor H or higher in a magazine which means having to go to your local authority to get permission to have the magazine in the first place which means your neighbors got to have a say in the matter. So what gives Aerotech? You want to go back to those days?

You know, Aerotech BENEFITTED from ATF ruling in 2009 so I feel they are spitting in the face of all those who donated and spent copious amounts of volunteer hours fighting that battle.

Latest posts

Back