Jet Hitch Thrusters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jet-Drag-Cars.jpg

In my teens I lived in Dedham, MA ~ 5 miles from the New England Dragway South in Norwood, MA where they ran jet-powered drag cars down the strip on Friday nights. You could heard them clearly if there was no wind. They were loud.

Bob

Anybody remember this?

[video=youtube;7Jp_RTcXLis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jp_RTcXLis[/video]

Not enough search time to find the data, but what I did find indicates that somewhat off axis of the motor in the near field the sound pressure levels may be as much as close to 30dB higher than the top fuel dragster, but it is directional. The onset of auditory pain threshold is somewhere around 120dB. Top fuel dragster can hit 150dB in the near field. Safe distance in the nozzle direction could be very substantially greater than safe distances for the dragster but it will be directional.

I exceeded auditory pain threshold with one M motor test, at safe standoff distance (relatively low particulate in the chamber and exhaust so low damping, plus high pressure). That is considerably attenuated vs being more in lline with the nozzle. I've exceeded it with small K static test at what was admittedly probably a little short of safe standoff distance but probably quite a bit greater then what may be encountered in the proposed situation!

The frequency distribution is going to be a function of the size of the motor. Larger motors, lower frequencies carry more energy.

Gerald

This is a stupid idea...at first I thought they were strapped onto RC vehicles but real vehicles for what? I mean really!! What are you to gain and why would you do it?? I don't get it??

I figured as much, with Germans unable to get guns they resort to stupid stunts like exploding aerosol cans...

Aaaah. The good old days.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,,
There is a glitch with TRF..
I cannot send or receive PM's..
I just get an email that says when someone tries to PM me..
Would you please contact me through my salesatonebadhawk email address..
Or through the contact us page on my site..

Thanks Dennis..
Sorry to interrupt the thread guys,,, lol...

Teddy

Hi Dennis,,
There is a glitch with TRF..
I cannot send or receive PM's..
I just get an email that says when someone tries to PM me..
Would you please contact me through my salesatonebadhawk email address..
Or through the contact us page on my site..

Thanks Dennis..
Sorry to interrupt the thread guys,,, lol...

Teddy

Thanks Teddy. I just sent a message through your website.

Now, we return you to the regularly scheduled discussion....

Dennis

Back