Jet Hitch Thrusters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe Estes will join the madness with a like of "non-rocketry" motors and hardware that can be fitted to bagpipes.

[YOUTUBE][video=youtube;cnVjkE87FDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY[/video][/YOUTUBE]

That guy would probably mount 3 54mm thrusters in his pipes.

wile+coyote+acme.png

coyoterollerskates.jpg

I think it's pretty clear at this point they never intended these to go on trucks. That doesn't make sense in any world.

That leaves two options.

a) it was a total joke, and it kinda blew up in their faces

b) it was intended to skirt motor testing. and it blew up in their faces.

We'll likely never know, and at this point should just let it die. Was there any friction between AT and TRA over testing recently?

That is awesome, Bagpipe dude should go to Maker Faire, happening this weekend in San Mateo.

Another thing that is completely taken down is my post on the NAR Facebook page.

I have not been an active user of Facebook in the past, so I don't have a lot of experience with posts taking off and going nuts. My settings send me an email whenever someone comments on one of my posts, so I get emails now and then, but not much. After posting something about Jethitch on the NAR page, I watched a few dozen other people pile in and comment. Then I went and had dinner, watched a couple of movies, and around midnight I happened to glance at my inbox --- 128 new emails from Facebook with comments on the post! Yikes!

Today there were two more emails from Facebook regarding the post, and when I tried the link, the post was gone.

Interesting side note --- the very last comment on the Facebook post was from our very own tmacklin (slightly off topic, as usual). Congratulations, sir! :wink:

They can't give us some decent single use 13mm composite motors but they have the resources to make rockets for trucks.:facepalm:

Twenty-five years ago AeroTech made 13mm composite B7 motors which were sold through Apogee Components.

Sales were weak and that's being polite.

There is not enough of a market for a 13mm composite motor line to make it viable product.

Another thing that is completely taken down is my post on the NAR Facebook page.

I have not been an active user of Facebook in the past, so I don't have a lot of experience with posts taking off and going nuts. My settings send me an email whenever someone comments on one of my posts, so I get emails now and then, but not much. After posting something about Jethitch on the NAR page, I watched a few dozen other people pile in and comment. Then I went and had dinner, watched a couple of movies, and around midnight I happened to glance at my inbox --- 128 new emails from Facebook with comments on the post! Yikes!

Today there were two more emails from Facebook regarding the post, and when I tried the link, the post was gone.

Interesting side note --- the very last comment on the Facebook post was from our very own tmacklin (slightly off topic, as usual). Congratulations, sir! :wink:
I saw it, liked it, and today it was gone.

It was a great post TB, I almost always like reading your posts.

A O motor would probably push a car fast enough for you to feel it. As far as how much I wouldn't know and won't want to find out. Mythbuster's Rocket Car take two anyone?

If they wanted to do special effect on trucks any pyrotechnic companies could do it for far cheaper and safer than using rocket motors. Also if anyone lights rocket motors on the road they will most likely be arrested.

A O motor would probably push a car fast enough for you to feel it. As far as how much I wouldn't know and won't want to find out. Mythbuster's Rocket Car take two anyone?

If they wanted to do special effect on trucks any pyrotechnic companies could do it for far cheaper and safer than using rocket motors. Also if anyone lights rocket motors on the road they will most likely be arrested.

Pyro is extremely expensive. It is not uncommon for a show with 10 gerbs to cost $7000. A gerb is similar to a sparky motor.....in the A or B impulse range.

I was wondering about the whole CATO thing too. The idea is kinda cool, but I don't think they should market it.

I'm honored to have been of service. Call anytime. :wink:

Glad to see Aerotech making innovative products, instead of doing something silly like making the casings we would give them money for.

I'm going to have a hell of a time making fly-away rail guides for a monster truck.

Stepping back and looking at everything now.... This appears to actually have just been a horrible trainwreck of a launch for a 'real' product.

My advice? Do this. But market it to pros in the industry. That seems to be the general idea anyways. To do that better, get some hooked up on a jetboat, monster truck, or other professional performance and use that for promo instead of a pickup.

The motors were designated using rocketry terms. Newtons, average thrust, etc. All fairly meaningless to a truck pyro guy. Motor style, burn time, brightness, and most importantly "blastzones" are what they need to work with. Along those lines, the burn profiles seem designed for flight. For a display, you don't give a crap about thrust, it's light and burn time. Even the louder sound from high thrust is most likely to be drown out from whatever you've got it hooked up to. So slow it down a bit.

Also, you've taken steps to make it easy to ID these motors on the flightline. thats commendable. however, epoxying a lock and key style block on the motor and a cut out on the mount would 100% prevent easy use of these in flight, while still allowing you to use widely available motor sizes.

Blocking out flight use, and marketing directly to pros in the target industry I believe, would alleviate many of the concerns presented by fliers here. If there is a market for this in the professional realm, you'd be crazy not to go for it.

Last edited:
Stepping back and looking at everything now.... This appears to actually have just been a horrible trainwreck of a launch for a 'real' product.

My advice? Do this. But market it to pros in the industry. That seems to be the general idea anyways. To do that better, get some hooked up on a jetboat, monster truck, or other professional performance and use that for promo instead of a pickup.

The motors were designated using rocketry terms. Newtons, average thrust, etc. All fairly meaningless to a truck pyro guy. Motor style, burn time, brightness, and most importantly "blastzones" are what they need to work with. Along those lines, the burn profiles seem designed for flight. For a display, you don't give a crap about thrust, it's light and burn time. Even the louder sound from high thrust is most likely to be drown out from whatever you've got it hooked up to. So slow it down a bit.

Also, you've taken steps to make it easy to ID these motors on the flightline. thats commendable. however, epoxying a lock and key style block on the motor and a cut out on the mount would 100% prevent easy use of these in flight, while still allowing you to use widely available motor sizes.

Blocking out flight use, and marketing directly to pros in the target industry I believe, would alleviate many of the concerns presented by fliers here. If there is a market for this in the professional realm, you'd be crazy not to go for it.

+1 to what David says, the initial launch was poorly thought out, but there is no reason that they cannot be marketed to professional pyro types, just needs a little tweaking.

+1 to what David says, the initial launch was poorly thought out, but there is no reason that they cannot be marketed to professional pyro types, just needs a little tweaking.

I don't know if poorly thought out is fair.... Things sound good at first, and then they hit the public and go WAAAAY off from where you thought it'd go.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned sound pressure levels. Rocket motors can be very effective generators of noise. The sound pressure level gets dangerous to hearing at a moderate distance, and can be deadly dangerous closer than that.

Gerald

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned sound pressure levels. Rocket motors can be very effective generators of noise. The sound pressure level gets dangerous to hearing at a moderate distance, and can be deadly dangerous closer than that.
Have you ever been to a top fuel drag race? I promise you, those nitro burning V-8's are plenty loud.

Doug

Back