Spraying body tubes, how do you yours?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
I got some 4'' body tubes and only body tubes to spray. How do you yours, mounting the tube etc

What ever I'm painting, I place it vertical, where I can walk 360 around.

Usually a bucket upside down or cinder blocks to raise up, so no need to bend over to much.

Place item to paint on top.

100_5173_2.jpg

Me, I use a dowel carved to fit inside the MM, accept (and release) the hook, or retaining ring. then I hold it with something (often my patio chair (solid metal, not one of those lightweight, hollow metal tubing, camping chairs)) that will hold my rockets horizontal (or nearly horizontal).

I make painting jog sticks. I usually get 3/4" to 1" wood dowels. I cut center rings out of lite ply say 1/4" to fit the ID of whatever body tube I'm painting and then use a hole cutter to cut the smaller hole for the dowel. I glue the rings on the dowel spaced about 4-5" apart. Then I place the dowel in a milk crate or something similar to hold it vertical and then I pant

for just body tube (no motor mount) I run a dowel through it a hang it between a pair of sawhorses. Shoot a line, turn a bit (handling the inside of the tube), shoot another line, turn, repeat ad nausem.

Funny how this topic comes up twice on the same day.

View attachment 263333

I made a couple of stands from pvc pipe and fittings to support a center pole of any material or size/length. I set the contraption up on my outdoor paint work bench (4'x8') and spray. Rocket in the picture is a bit over 3' long.

The largest diameter rocket I've painted thus far was a Polecat Goblin 5.5 and the longest rocket was my Not So Mean Machine.

Cost of the painting supports was probably less than $5 in sprinkler pipe and fittings I had on hand. No glue involved, just press fit so I can adjust the supports as needed. I have used metal pipes, pvc pipe, and broomsticks for the center pole.

I used a road cone. Worked well for a 3 inch tube can't see any issues with 4 inch tubes.

Whatever I'm painting are mounted vertically on a modified "Paint stick" placed in a Lazy Susan (one of several sizes) placed inside my paint chamber.

Most of the Standard size Models 10.5mm (.448") to BT-101 (3.98") are either motor mount installed or forward end adaptor installed on 1/2" Hardwood dowels (different Lengths) with epoxy mounted spent 18mm motor casings on one or both ends. 1/2 Dowels fits 13mm motor mounts, Spent 18mm motor casings fit both 18mm motor mounts and inside spent D12 (24mm) motor casings which are used as a base attachment Socket epoxy and screw mounted to the Lazy Suzans. 24mm motor casing fit larger D12, E & Clustered motor mounts as well as form the base for larger ID mounts built up with duct Tape or other materials to fit larger mounts either motor of forward end ID's. smaller diameter dowels are drilled and added to some of the 1/2" dowels to fit T4 (.448" -10.5mm), T3 (.375") & T2+ (.281" MMX motors).

I use both Spring driven or manual driven Lazy suzans for models of all sizes MMX to BT-101 Upscale 3.3lb models.

Drying racks are 2x4's or 2x2's with out-riggers and holes drilled to accept 18mm spent motor casings (3/4" dia) and 1/4" for smaller dowels. With this system I can spray, and move many models without having to every touch the model.

Std 2x4 Vertical model drying rack-a_01-24-08.jpg

Last edited:
I LOVE the traffic cone idea! I'm in PA, so the state flower is now in-season!

Later!

--Coop

My Paint both isn't tall enough to paint vertically so I have to paint them horizontally on a dowel stand.

IMG_20141025_092835_948.jpg

Upturned Jawstand top section with a trash bag over the spindle to keep paint off it. Works great for 38mm up through at least 4" paper and glass tubes.

Not with me...I'll try to remember to take a couple tonight. I take it you can get Jawstands in the UK?

With larger tubes I'll just put on rubber gloves and put my hand inside the tube.

Back