Love this paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarillo_rocket

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I started using Valspar Paint and Primer combo paint and I am really happy with the results. I used to curse Krylon. To me the reason it's named Krylon is it made me cry every time I used it with it's inconsistent results orange peal and bubbling. So far I have used Valspar paint and primer on a fiberglass rocket and a Public Missles Quantum tube rocket (primed with valspar plastic primer) and the paint has performed great. I've shot clear lacquer on it no problems. I have spayed it over a lacquer no problems. It doesn't run easily and covers in just a coat or two. Is it me or does anyone else like this paint?

I had nothing but problems with it. It took WEEKS before it was hard enough to handle. YMMV though.

I've been happy with Valspar in general...with one exception color-wise. Yellow. It seems to take FOREVER to completely cure unlike their other colors. I've also had problems with 'spitting' ... ruined a Mega Mesquito nose cone with it once. Again...only with their yellow spray can have I encountered this.

FC

I've been using Valspar as well. Coats evenly, and with very little paint. But just like Chris said, it does seem to take a long time to dry. Used pink, purple, lavender, red, white and clear. A lot better than Krylon IMO

My only comment about Valspar Paints is as other posters have mentioned. Seems to take days to weeks for the stuff to cure.

Yellow is the hardest of all colors to spray paint regardless of brand or type: automotive basecoat/clear coat to rattle can. Yellows are just difficult to spray. Much better to spary yellows by timing passes and distance from surface then by eye. Spray at single speed and distance, 1/4turn model. repeat same speed and distance. 1/4turn. repeat until once around model. let tack for 10 minutes. repeat spray and 1/4turn stepped process until even coat/color is obtained.

Hmm. I haven't had any problems with it taking a long time to cure. I painted 3 rockets yesterday and they are all dry today. Are you using the Valspar enamel (which I hate) or the Valspar Paint and Primer all in one paint?

001_zpsucwkbaqx.jpg

The above is painted with DupliColor Engine Enamel with Ceramic and if you could see the actual rocket* it looks like it is made from glass.

Chrysler Hemi Orange.
Gloss Black
Aluminum
Gloss White

It has become my favorite paint to use when a desired color is available.

*Which you never will, as on its maiden flight neither the booster nor the sustainer managed to deploy their chutes resulting in both being reduced to piles of wreckage suitable for burial in a shoebox.

red1.JPGred.JPG

A couple of pics of rockets painted with Valspar Paint and Primer combo. I have used the red and yellow paint so far with good results. The paint covers well with 1 or 2 coats and does not run easily. I like using this paint much better than standard Valspar Enamel which takes forever to dry. My favorite paint is Duplicolor but the Valspar is a lot less expensive and does not require as many coats.

Is this a spray can product? Or do you use and air brush? Or a brush? I looked on Valspar's web site and didn't find paint and primer combo in a spray can. I get lots of orange peel, bubbling, and running with Krylon, but I figured it was my fault.

I've used red and black valspar spray before with excellent results. Though I don't remember if it was paint and primer in one, I usually tend to avoid paint and primer paints simply because primer is supposed to go on before the paint. Thats just how I look at it. I have had decent results with Krylon Max but wasn't going for that smooth finish either. Well I cant upload pics still, bah.

Mike

... Well I cant upload pics still, bah.

Mike

The <INSERT IMAGE> function was disabled for security reasons (there is a thread about it around here somewhere). Try this:

click <GO ADVANCED>
click <MANAGE ATTACHMENTS>

upload and insert picture files.

I painted my Estes Viking with 3 light coats of Rust-Oleum Painters Touch 2x Ultra Coverage Paint + Primer Gloss Sun Yellow #249092

It dried relatively the same as most other colors and came out like a smoothe, glossy Porsche. I love it.

Decided to weigh in on this. No insult intended to OP.

I had a can of Krylon spray paint and primer combo in black, and I was looking for the same thing in red, for my MDRM. However, the local Lowe's had no red in that combo. So, I decided to try this Valspar spray paint and primer combo.

The Krylon black on the NC was dry to the touch in one hour, and fully dried in one day. It has been three days since my last spray, and the Valspar is still tacky. I can't apply my decals or rail buttons until the Valspar dries.

I will not be using the Valspar again any time soon.

It has been three days since my last spray, and the Valspar is still tacky. I can't apply my decals or rail buttons until the Valspar dries.
Suggestion: Place the rocket in your car and park in the sun. The car becomes a free curing oven. If it's too tacky to lay on a seat then put plastic or waxed paper under it. That is, unless you've got a curing oven, but I assumed that you'd already have that paint dried if you do.

I recently applied a couple of coats of Rusoleum white enamel. The first was ready for recoat in one day and they were fully cured in two days after the second. We all know how rattle can enamels can take forever to cure, but the car in the summer sun made short work of it.

Suggestion: Place the rocket in your car and park in the sun. The car becomes a free curing oven. If it's too tacky to lay on a seat then put plastic or waxed paper under it. That is, unless you've got a curing oven, but I assumed that you'd already have that paint dried if you do.

I recently applied a couple of coats of Rusoleum white enamel. The first was ready for recoat in one day and they were fully cured in two days after the second. We all know how rattle can enamels can take forever to cure, but the car in the summer sun made short work of it.
I went to ROCstock this year and had several rockets in the back seat of my Tundra on a comforter. When I got back home, I had to peel one of my rockets off of the comforter because it had gotten so hot in the cab. I went from a mirror finish to a fabric texture. These were rockets that were already completed a while back, but it was very hot and humid that day.

I went to ROCstock this year and had several rockets in the back seat of my Tundra on a comforter. When I got back home, I had to peel one of my rockets off of the comforter because it had gotten so hot in the cab. I went from a mirror finish to a fabric texture. These were rockets that were already completed a while back, but it was very hot and humid that day.
Hmm, so my idea is not for every situation. That shouldn't really be a surprise, I guess. I wonder if it has to do with the temperature, the paint, or the duration.

Hmm, so my idea is not for every situation. That shouldn't really be a surprise, I guess. I wonder if it has to do with the temperature, the paint, or the duration.
I discovered that it was the KRYLON acrylic glossy clear coat that was getting tacky from the heat and humidity, not the enamel paint. Only the rocket with that particular clear coat.

Had a very bad issue with Valspar today. It's Valspar Paint + Primer premium finish with micromist spray. My son and I were finishing up a rocket, and was putting a light coat of color Gloss Deep Sea Diving on top of a white primer finish. The cap was a light blue, but it went on dark blue. No worries, still goes with the color scheme. As we were applying a second coat the can coughed out a very light blue splotch. It didn't run, which was good. I usually shake my cans up a lot, but this time I shook it a LOT. I waited an hour for the light coat to dry, then shook the can up a LOT MORE before applying another coat. Back to the original blue, only this time it coughed again, and a dark blue splotch appeared! ARRRG!
Between the long drying time and this issue, I may not use Valspar any more. It's hard to say that as I already have at least 10 cans of the stuff.

It's just old paint.
HINT: Store cans upside down.
This keeps the bottom of the can clean.
Any chunks should float when uprighted for spraying once spraying begins.
I learned this over 40 years ago with the little Tester brand model spray paints.
Most everyone ages paint by how long it's been on their own shelf.
But who knows how long it has sat on shelves between factory and date sold. :confused2:

I have nothing but issues with Valspar paint. From inconsistent drying, to cans that have either dirt or something in them that makes them really rough. When it works, it has a nice gloss. I went back to the original Krylon formula which has always been easy to use.

Back