cool link

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?That's the one that just crashed during a test flight.

From: https://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/13/aeromobil-flying-car-crashes/

Aeromobil wants to have its flying car on sale to customers by 2017, but a recent crash during a test flight suggests that development is still far from over.

The plane/car was flying in Slovakia at the hands of its inventor, Stefan Klein, when something went wrong. According to the company, Klein deployed the Aeromobil's parachute at around 900 feet, and it brought him safely back to Earth. Photos of the incident posted by Paleofuture showed extensive damage to the vehicle, and witnesses claimed that the aircraft went into a tailspin before Klein deployed the 'chute. He wasn't harmed in the crash, though.

Aeromobil intends to treat this setback as a chance to improve its vehicle even more. The company is examining the data and plans to start test flights again once the plane is repaired.

The Aeromobil has evolved through multiple functioning prototypes over the past few years, and videos have shown previous, successful test flights. The design features power-folding wings that stow behind the passenger compartment when not in use. If the flying car does go on sale, prices are expected to start at several hundred thousand dollars.

The whole concept of flying cars or making air travel cheap enough for commuting just cracks me up because people struggle with 2 dimensional travel so now we're going to add a third dimension?

Hasta la vista LOOK OUT BELOW LOL

This has been done before many years ago.
I see no storage space at all, which makes both features impractical to me for the price.
You have to have a pilots license, register each and every flight like any flying vehicle. Regular inspections and all rules of the FAA.
I'm sure combining the 2 features will create even more inspections for both features to insure the publics safety. IMHO, it's a one off and will never get to production in our lifetimes.
I would rather buy/rebuild a 1966-68 Piper dual engine airplane. Or even splurge for a new one if I could get wing tip pod fuel tanks.
I found one almost completely restored inside and all flying functions 1966 in Florida. Everything but exterior paint and decals for less than $90,000.
With wing tip pod fuel tanks. If I was going to fly this is the route I'd go. With up to 5 passengers and storage space, would make a weekend trip to AZ for launch not so out of this world for me.
I fell in love with this plane as a young kid, and it's always been my dream to have one. Though it will probably never happen, Life is but a dream.

Back