First time av bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an old post but Cz I would mount the batterys on the opposite side of the electronics.

In case the payload section comes in ballistic this will prevent the batterys from sliding forward and stripping all of the components off of the circuit board

Bobby

So this is my first time building an av bay, and I've got a few questions... This may get lengthy, but any help would be great.
... See the picture... Oh, and this is going in a 3" DarkStar

1) does it matter which way the RRC2+ is facing? I should have mounted it to the right of the RRC3, but woops... If I spin it around, it'll be easier to mount the wires since that's where the block is.
2) my plan is to mount the two batteries one behind the other using cable ties for attachment. Any thoughts on this?
3) my plan is to connect the e-matches directly to the altimeters, knot the wire on the inside of the av bay to prevent pulling, and use either the glove tip method or maybe the surgical tube. No terminal blocks or charge wells on the av bay lids. I've got poster putty to seal the holes. Any thoughts on this method? I'm thinking it'll just be more straight forward for a newb at DD.
4) Based on the setup in the picture, what do I need to know or think about?
... I'll be bringing this with to the next club launch to ask the same questions, and I don't plan on launching DD, but if I've got it all ready and it gets the okay after a little help, I just may go for a DD flight...
I'm extremely nervous about it cause I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Hate that feeling when I've got hundreds of dollars and lots of man hours involved in the project...

I know this is an old post but Cz I would mount the batterys on the opposite side of the electronics.

In case the payload section comes in ballistic this will prevent the batterys from sliding forward and stripping all of the components off of the circuit board

Bobby

+1 Can possibly save your expensive electronics from being smashed by a $3 battery in a ballistic recovery.

We get college teams at our club launches and two of the just taped the 9V battery to the sled. The first team that did this had a ballistic recovery as the battery came loose during the thrust phase and destroyed their electronics. The second team was at our field a month ago and no one could fly high power due to heavy fog. They had their rocket apart and I told them to secure the battery with zip ties. Tape will not be sufficient. We shall see if they listened to me sometime in the next few months.

+1 Can possibly save your expensive electronics from being smashed by a $3 battery in a ballistic recovery.

+10 on that!

I am still using a HiAlt45 that survived a ballistic recovery because the battery was on the opposite side of the sled. The battery showed good voltage and the boot up sequence worked perfectly, but it had been involved in a drogue only landing and I believe the internal contacts were loosened and failed during launch. The altimeter was on the section of sled that didn't break and it was OK. The battery was poured out of the remains of the av-bay in about 9 peices. 300 mph to 0 mph in about 18" is a lot of negative Gs

Back