Ugliest Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertrand

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new returnee to LPR. I've built 6 kits, some were Estes, some Quest, and one Newways square rocket.

The other day I was looking at a paper towel roll and wondered, "could I make a rocket out of that?"

Two days later I have what I believe is the ugliest scratch build known to man. Pictures will be forthcoming. The hardest part has been the engine mount. I rolled my own 18mm body tube from copy paper. I tried to make centering rings but that did not work. I ended up winding strips of cardstock around the 18mm tube until it fit snugly inside the paper towel tube. I fiddled with it too much before the glue set and the whole assembly popped loose. I had cut off a short section from a used 18mm engine to serve as the stop at the end of the 18mm tube. This also popped loose, and when I reinserted it, it stuck halfway down. Long story short, the whole assembly was goofed up. I went back to the drawing board and fixed the mess. It's ugly, but I think it will work.

I built the nose cone with a plastic easter egg, masking tape, construction paper, and squares of cardstock. I went through a couple tries before I arrived at a decent looking design that fits. I am now on the way to Hobby Lobby for some elastic cord. I am going to use some fireproof party streamers for a streamer. If the rocket survives its first flight I am going to finish the exterior with primer and paint.

It may be ugly, but it's mine.:grin: Pictures to come when I get home.

It sounds like your building something like what I built when I got started in model rocketry!
Hence the name "BuiltFromTrash".:)

I like to re-purpose pringles cans, glad wrap tubes, and even used cellophane tape rolls, which I used to make a centering ring for a rocket made out of a paper towel tube. Some of stuff I don't use any more, as my rockets have gotten bigger and/or more ambitious, but much of it is very useful still especially if I want to make a smaller rocket again.

Hope it flies!

P.S.-It can be cheaper to build rockets this way, and if enough attention is given to it, they can look pretty good!(A good paint job helps...)

I like to prototype with found materials. If it works out, then I'll build it pretty with nice parts. If not, oh well, no big loss. Right now I'm working with a TP tube, Q-Tip shafts, and cardboard from a cereal box. I used this tool https://rocketry.newcenturycomputers.net/cluster.html to print out my centering rings, then glued them to a double layer of cereal box. It could have just as easily been a single layer from a shoebox, or even some corrugated cardboard. Try rolling index cards for motor tubes. Cutting slices out of used motors makes great engine blocks. A little bit of tape can hold an engine in as well as a retainer.

I love using stuff from around the house for smaller stuff. :) hope it flies nice! Make sure to post pics and a video!

thank you thank you thank you for that centering ring generator! that will save me much time in the future!

Pictures still forthcoming. The rocket is substantially unstable. Screwed up the motor mount more than I'd realized. Doesn't appear to be fixable, so it's on to the next build.

I'm coming to your front door if you don't post a pic---running out the back won't work, the wolf is waiting and she's not a happy puppy !!

Here's a picture. Note that the nose cone took damage on its first and only launch.

0521151319.jpg

Next question: any tips on how to improvise engine clips?

And what size of Estes body tube corresponds most closely to the standard paper towel tube? BT-30?

Here's a picture. Note that the nose cone took damage on its first and only launch.

View attachment 263848

And what size of Estes body tube corresponds most closely to the standard paper towel tube? BT-30?

Most paper towel tubes are around BT-60ish.

thanks! the one I'm using in my newest scratch build is just a touch bigger than a BT 60.

0523151929.jpg

Scratch build #2. Still ugly, but not as bad as the first attempt.

Body tube comes from a paper towel roll. Motor mount is made from a 3x5 card and cardboard from a cereal box. Spent a little money on balsa for the fins. First time I've cut my own. They came out all right. Next time will go better. Nose cone comes from a Big Bertha kit. Overall, this build went much better than the first one.

View attachment 263958

Scratch build #2. Still ugly, but not as bad as the first attempt.

This is what I was waiting for. A picture. I designed one to look ugly intentionally. But some of the other viewers and one in particular, thought it was cool and the one guy, built a HPR upscale....go figure! Anyway, It's called U.F.T.Y.E.S. And acronym I can't say on the forum.

Attachments

• DSCF3482.JPG
    DSCF3482.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 85

Try using the metal insert strips in old windshield wiper blades. Good and springy, width is perfect, just cut to length and bend ends with needle nose pliers.
-Ken

Back