supergirl costume

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
question, would adding a cape really help her turn and or maintain stability? just saw the CBS trailer...apparently she can't turn worth a darn w/o a cape:).
Rex

Got a link? I'm always up for debating the flight characteristics of things like Capes.
I often have dreams where I can levitate and fly. Never been wearing a cape in my dreams though.

Found a Link. Looks worth a watch. Hot girl, superhero stuff, special effects....I'm in.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/supergirl/

Last edited:
Been a Superman fan since I was a kid and had the comic books.

Saw the trailer, show looks pretty good. I'll watch.

Odd thing though is it "feels" like a show that would be on the CW, not CBS.

The cape looks cool. That's its only advantage.

All of us rocketeers know that having a banner-size piece of flapping fabric attached anywhere on a flying body creates considerable drag.

Presumably the super-powered Kryptonians have way more than enough flying impulse (derived from some unknown pseudo-gravitational source) to easily overcome the drag of a cape.

I agree w. George; I expected this to be utterly gawd-awful and the trailer actually looks semi-decent.

I can already give them one piece of advice: Limit Callista Flockhart to about 10 seconds of screen time every third episode. Yeeccch.

Another piece of advice: You've already reached the limit of people who ought to know her secret identity. Shows like this, i.e., like "Smallville," get (particularly) ridiculous when literally thousands of people know the hero's secret identity.

Last edited:
Shorts vs skirt...I think I am going with shorts!

I agree. The shorts were better. They take away the shorts and the nice little top and give her a skirt and long sleeves instead. Then they add a cape. And then they add some kind of leggings or hosiery. The show hasn't even started yet, and she's already losing her superpowers!

Touch of cape history:
Mongols wore silk caps riding horseback.
Proven on a show on history channel, "Ancient something or another" that a silk cape fluttering behind the rider will stop arrows.
Not that Supergirl would need that, just a bit of history.

In the good old days, a superhero wore a costume because it was cool. You expected a superhero to have a costume. It would be weird not to.

Today, the opposite has become true. Writers have to go to some crazy extremes to justify putting a costume on someone. And when they do, it is some dark parody of the actual costume. It's as if productions companies today think that costumes are bizarre and spell instant doom. I think they should give audiences more credit, and trust that we like our superheroes in bright, shiny costumes.

In the good old days, a superhero wore a costume because it was cool. You expected a superhero to have a costume. It would be weird not to.

Today, the opposite has become true. Writers have to go to some crazy extremes to justify putting a costume on someone. And when they do, it is some dark parody of the actual costume. It's as if productions companies today think that costumes are bizarre and spell instant doom. I think they should give audiences more credit, and trust that we like our superheroes in bright, shiny costumes.

Agreed, they are special and should dress so...

[video=youtube;M68ndaZSKa8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M68ndaZSKa8[/video]

[video=youtube;esM8NUzKF5Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=esM8NUzKF5Y[/video]

question, would adding a cape really help her turn and or maintain stability? just saw the CBS trailer...apparently she can't turn worth a darn w/o a cape:).
Rex

Rex, can you turn without a cape?

😀

qualified yes, at speeds up to 20mph and running on dry ground :). in the trailer Sgirl is doing neither.
Rex

I agree. The shorts were better. They take away the shorts and the nice little top and give her a skirt and long sleeves instead. Then they add a cape. And then they add some kind of leggings or hosiery. The show hasn't even started yet, and she's already losing her superpowers!

A female superhero without hosiery and boots or at least tight leggings is like ribs without sauce. Wonder Woman wouldn't have gotten so far without the suntan hose. It's part of the mystique.

I agree wholeheartedly.

And for the record, I can deal well with shorts, briefs like Wonder Woman had, or a miniskirt. Or a Cat Woman style catsuit...

Just my opinions, based on my own tastes.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mrichhcirm View Post
OK...let's say this theory is valid. Then why does Superman wear a cape too? (He asked, then suddenly realized he might regret it)
Ummm...Superman is obviously compensating......

Hey. He's buff. He's got massive abs. I, no no no, I've said to much.... :kill: :kill:

Adrian

Yep, I definitely regret asking :facepalm:

Quote Originally Posted by mrichhcirm View Post
OK...let's say this theory is valid. Then why does Superman wear a cape too? (He asked, then suddenly realized he might regret it)
Ummm...Superman is obviously compensating......

Yep, I definitely regret asking :facepalm:

Well at least you can admit it...

One huge problem for this show is that it's scheduled head-to-head against "Gotham," which will split the comic-book geek audience.

The cape…… it's one of those iconic things. Of course in the real world it would not help any, the drag and the fluttering would be tremendous. But this is not the real world, we are talking about fictional "beings" from the fictional planet Krypton, with fictional powers like flying, super-strength, x-ray and heat vision, and so on, plus being 100% invulnerable to everything unless exposed to a piece of their fictional home planet. But I loved it anyway as a kid and still do.

BTW - Kal-El and Kara aren't the only Kryptonian superheroes wearing capes….

discovery.jpg

doghouse.jpg

And finally, here's something I found that shows various versions of Superman thru the ages. Wow, I'm glad i missed the 1990's comics version, really looks wrong without the cape….

Superman-at-75.bmp

The cape…… it's one of those iconic things. Of course in the real world it would not help any, the drag and the fluttering would be tremendous. But this is not the real world, we are talking about fictional "beings" from the fictional planet Krypton, with fictional powers like flying, super-strength, x-ray and heat vision, and so on, plus being 100% invulnerable to everything unless exposed to a piece of their fictional home planet. But I loved it anyway as a kid and still do.

BTW - Kal-El and Kara aren't the only Kryptonian superheroes wearing capes….

discovery.jpg

doghouse.jpg

And finally, here's something I found that shows various versions of Superman thru the ages. Wow, I'm glad i missed the 1990's comics version, really looks wrong without the cape….

Superman-at-75.bmp

In the black Dan Jurgens 1990's version, the aerodynamic function of the missing cape is accomplished by the addition of a mullet.

What do you think of the pose of the Bruce Timm Animated 1990's? Seems less than super to me.

Been a Superman fan since I was a kid and had the comic books.

Saw the trailer, show looks pretty good. I'll watch.

Odd thing though is it "feels" like a show that would be on the CW, not CBS.

Reminder, Supergirl is on TONIGHT, after the Big Bang Theory.

I got to see the entire pilot awhile back. I liked it.

Last edited:
Back