Wifi or cell service

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbinion

Reaction score
How is the cell reception at the field? 3G, 4G, etc. I am hoping to have internet, and am looking at some hotspots. I have ATT, but wonder if ATT coverage is as good as Verizon at the field. Any chance that there will be wifi available at the field?

Thanks

Paul Binion
TRA# 280

Sad to say Cell coverage is AWFUL! Verizon has the best..... 3g at BEST and mostly 1X edge. Internet is mostly a NO GO! don't plan on anything that uses Internet. We tried to get VZW to bring a cell extender truck to the area, turns out we are to far for the standard equipment and the "heavy duty" units are not available.
The only WiFi is at smugglers corner in town (5 Minutes away) NO Cell service in town!

I've had good luck getting maps with verizon for my GPS rocket app. I had NOTHING on the field with sprint.

I do OK with ATT from the flightline. You could likely hotspot, but it's gonna be sllllooooowwww. In the field is spotty, but I usually do OK.

Does anyone have first hand T-Mobile mobile network usage experience?

I've had service ( Verizon) at the field then have it drop to 1G service.
It drains you battery in no time.

JD

I will answer my own question,
Yes there is service, Verizon
Its reaLoy not that far from interstate 80, trucks can be seen

With LDRS having moved to Lucerne Valley and hosted by the Rocketry Organization of California, I can confirm that T-Mobile’s cell service there is decent. Data isn’t as fast as if you’re in a large city or connecting your phone to Wi-Fi, but it gets the job done.

Back