Thailand Spinny Rocket STL file

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Alrighty.... I got bored and started playing around in SolidWorks. Anywho, I was watching that video of the big spinny rocket from Taiwan.... and figured one of those couldn't be too hard to 3D print.... And I had solidworks open.... And #$%^&* whaddaya know :)
Saucer.PNG

Anyone interested in 3D printing this? It is about 10 inches across. If you are going to LDRS, I'll make sure you get to see the flight. :)

Attachments

• Saucer Assembly - Saucer-1.STL
    44.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Alrighty.... I got bored and started playing around in SolidWorks. Anywho, I was watching that video of the big spinny rocket from Taiwan....

That was Thailand, not Taiwan.

[video=youtube;YVOevUSM8LQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVOevUSM8LQ[/video]

If it was Taiwan, I'd stand a chance at understanding a word or two.

Still it looks pretty Cool!

Last edited:
Thing is, I doubt the effect would even be close. The low impulse BP motors and massive size are what make for the slow twisting takeoff. That part would likely spin very fast and probably be hard to ensure ignition of all the motors. Be fun to see, just not like the originals

Thing is, I doubt the effect would even be close. The low impulse BP motors and massive size are what make for the slow twisting takeoff. That part would likely spin very fast and probably be hard to ensure ignition of all the motors. Be fun to see, just not like the originals

+1..
Matt,,
You'd need a much longer burning lower average impulse motor...
Maybe ask someone you know is knowledgeable with ex as too
what the dimensions of the motor would have to be to get it to burn for that long ??

Teddy

I plan on launching this on 6x1/2A motors and a central D12.

The 1/2A-6 has a .4 sec burn time, the D12 1.7 seconds. The effect is going to be a real quick spin and then the thing will go straight up until the D12 burns out. I looked at the various long burn motors and was not able to find anything that would come close to really mimicking the Thai rockets.

What about something along the lines of an I170G in the middle, and then six I49Ns in the ring? I suppose at that point you've gone a bit beyond 3D printing something small and easy...

Nate

Yeah.... Like I can afford THAT many motors....

Of anything.... I'll be doing this on EX motors :)

I WILL visit the Bang Fai festival before I die...even if it is the very last thing I do!

Cheers,
Michael

Close enough. :)

Au contraire mon frere. No closer than American is to Guatemalan. Next time you're in Orangeburg, come see me. I will share with you some of the wonders of the Thai culture.

Bang fai!

Cheers,
Michael

What about something along the lines of an I170G in the middle, and then six I49Ns in the ring? I suppose at that point you've gone a bit beyond 3D printing something small and easy...

Nate

Looks good to me..........
Those I 49's in the ring and how bout the I 154 J in the centre...
That aught to do it Matt.....
Now that you've got us all seriously all watered up to see this thing cookin,,,,,,,,
May we expect it at LDRS.....lol...

Seriously,,, I would really love to see you take a shot at this...
Motors must be an extremely long burn though,,,
I think these quoted the best....
If you were to email a few people ( such as myself ) we may be convinced to all chip in a bit
if it would make the difference in making this super interesting thing fly.......
The more people the less expensive per person.....

Teddy

You may want to read some of Boris's (Delta22's) posts. He's done some stuff somewhat similar to this before. I've read through some of those threads- Some awesome stuff.

Nate

Hmmmm.... if you can help me find the motors.... I'll get a rocket up to LDRS to fly on them. :)

BTW, I can't find a I154 anywhere.... you sure you're thinking of the right motor?
Looks good to me..........
Those I 49's in the ring and how bout the I 154 J in the centre...
That aught to do it Matt.....
Now that you've got us all seriously all watered up to see this thing cookin,,,,,,,,
May we expect it at LDRS.....lol...

Seriously,,, I would really love to see you take a shot at this...
Motors must be an extremely long burn though,,,
I think these quoted the best....
If you were to email a few people ( such as myself ) we may be convinced to all chip in a bit
if it would make the difference in making this super interesting thing fly.......
The more people the less expensive per person.....

Teddy

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... if you can help me find the motors.... I'll get a rocket up to LDRS to fly on them. :)

BTW, I can't find a I154 anywhere.... you sure you're thinking of the right motor?

If I can find the motors....
That's exactly the point I was trying to bring out...
If one person has to bear A $300 price tag to see this thing fly,,,,
it may not happen....
If YOU get 6 commitments for $50 each before any funds trade hands,,,
I am sure each of the committers will gladly transmit the funds knowing all details are accounted for already........

I'm not joking Matt,,,
You really impressed me with the TRF calander thing..
That was no joke,, it was a lot of work,, and sometimes was a pain in the XXX...
You know what else REALLY impressed me,,,
When I found out you were ( { I apologize,,} or were going for ) Eagle Scout......

You're a good man Matt...
You can do this....
It's an exercise in logistics.........

Teddy

Oh yeah,,,
I 154 J Aerotech 38 / 480 3 second burn Black Jack..........

Hey Matt,,,
I'm not lookin break your chops...
I just think this would be a seriously cool thing for you to accomplish ,,,
on many levels.....
I do apologize for saying this publicly...
Maybe I should have offered this to you in private first.....
I'm sorry if I overstepped........

Teddy

Back