Open Rocket predicted sim drasticlly changed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a simulation that I have been running for a while now in OR, RS and RASAero. RS has the max alt at 17k and OR and RASAero both were around 20K. However for some reason OR is now constantly predicting 6500. I checked the rocket, re-downloaded the eng file, mass override, even performed a mass optimization on the rocket to see if it would significantly go up and it does jump to 8K but no where near the original 20K. Now to add to the confusion other simulations are still at their original predicted altitudes...what am I missing?

More information needed. Clearly something changed in your OR settings, the ork file, or the eng file.

Do you have an ejection event set wrong? It could be an early flight termination.

Do you have an ejection event set wrong? It could be an early flight termination.

Most likely this. Sometimes when you save a file and then reopen it in openrocket, it seems to reset the ejection settings to the default which is at motor ejection, which is then usually drastically to early causing the sim to predict the very low apogee as compared to what it was before with deployment set to apogee.

Most likely this. Sometimes when you save a file and then reopen it in openrocket, it seems to reset the ejection settings to the default which is at motor ejection, which is then usually drastically to early causing the sim to predict the very low apogee as compared to what it was before with deployment set to apogee.

This is why I save all my sims with crazy-long delays on the motors - like 20 or 30 seconds - well past apogee. This also helps the simulator from getting confused on optimal delay calculations. I then use optimal delay to pick an ejection setting. I want delay as an OUTPUT to my simulation, not an INPUT.

This is why I save all my sims with crazy-long delays on the motors - like 20 or 30 seconds - well past apogee. This also helps the simulator from getting confused on optimal delay calculations. I then use optimal delay to pick an ejection setting. I want delay as an OUTPUT to my simulation, not an INPUT.

Too funny that was it.

Now the issue seems to be that OR is not saving the motor configuration when I save and close the rocket. I am relatively new to OR is this normal behavior on a Mac? It saves the rocket no problem but not the motor config.

Last edited:
If you create a motor and run a simulaton when you save OR choose "all simulations". This will cause OR to save the rocket, motor info and simulation. I'm not an OR expert but from my experience if you add a motor but do not run a simulation OR will not save the motor info with the rocket file.

If you create a motor and run a simulaton when you save OR choose "all simulations". This will cause OR to save the rocket, motor info and simulation. I'm not an OR expert but from my experience if you add a motor but do not run a simulation OR will not save the motor info with the rocket file.

Hi Barre',

Thanks for the suggestion. However I don't have an option to choose "all simulations" and there is nothing I can see in the application preferences on the topic either. I also did run simulations and saved but it has no effect. From the small numbers of people that responded it's seems possible that either this feature was not designed into the product or is a bug.

But I am not bitching as overall I am super happy with the product and grateful to those that put it together on their own time and dime...thank you.

I should have been a little more specific. When you save the Open Rocket file do a "save as". This should will give you the option to save "all simulated data".

Back