Estes Vintage D.A.R.T build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Here is my recent vintage build from Estes, the D.A.R.T. All parts in great condition other than the die crunched soft balsa. Built in a matter of hours and ready for primer.

DSC_0896 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0920 (1024x1013).jpg

FYI... The nosecone (PNC-60B) apparently was originally intended for the Estes SS-1C SCUD-B missile. It was also used on the Mach 2 rocket. I don't have any of these kits, so I have no idea on how to create an accurate .ork file for it.

Last edited:
This rocket looks cool but the color scheme is ugly. I was going to paint it a different color, but it is a vintage build so I will keep it as shown.

This rocket looks cool but the color scheme is ugly. I was going to paint it a different color, but it is a vintage build so I will keep it as shown.

I agree, bizarre. And why the Federal Republic of Germany decals ? Leo, what do you know ?? :)

I am still on my building fast kick and this was no exception. Of course in one day I had it built sealed and ready for paint. Of course the weather did not agree so I had to wait a few days for it to clear up and today it was sunny. I sprayed one coat of primer followed by the top coat. I will let the gloss white dry overnight then mask and paint the red tomorrow. I keep my freeflight and rc builds simple since I have a lot of them to build and also learning how to speed up my plastic builds. I pretty much build my plastic kits out of box no mods and try to fill and sand as little as possible. I am also getting away from my airbrush and back to hand brushing, a skill all in its own. My 1/72 Corsair was hand brushed, still need more practice but I like it.

DSC_0900 (1024x1015).jpg

DSC_0903 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0904 (910x1024).jpg

DSC_0906 (1024x681).jpg

D.A.R.T is all done and ready for flight and onto the next build. I started painting yesterday, and she is all done today not bad. At this rate I should be able to speed up my builds and make a dent in my stash of kits. I went with the catalog scheme and in person she does not look that bad. The decals were super thing and a challenge to use, you can see how transparent they are against the dark blue rocket.

DSC_0897 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0900 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0904 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0920 (1024x681).jpg

MAN!!! That looks killer!
If I ever happen upon one of these I'll snatch it right up.
It's very 80's looking and reminds me of 8 Bit Nintendo games.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that I saw that cone cloned on Shapeways, and decals for both this and the SCUD missile from Excelsior. So either ought to be able to be cloned fairly readily. I never gave this one much thought when it was new, but it seems interesting enough that I might want to do that before long...

Back