Estes Mercury Redstone / Groen Wraps?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's a "Groen Wraps"???:confused:

A google search reveals some interesting things, but aside from this thread no rocketry related thing called a Groen Wrap.

The highlighted text in your post only links to a picture of a real Mercury Redstone.

Groen Wraps are some fairly detailed drawings of the Mercury Redstone done by a fellow named Erik te Groen. There are pdf's linked in this thread in YORF: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?p=194318#post194318

Oh, the pdf's are in the link the OP provided as well. :blush: Sorry, I don't know of any build threads using them.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the 2167 build link.

I think the files in the YORF link may be older versions. The ones I found on Erik's website with 'update' in the filename seem to have additional small details added in some places.

I need to measure when I get home but it looks like the length in the current Mercury Redstone kit from Estes may be to scale so that Erik's wraps can be used without having to extend the tube.

I did a quick check, the length of the tube in the Estes kit is 19.5" and the length of the wraps is about 19.75" so pretty close. I had to scale the printouts of the wraps at 94% for the circumference to be correct.

I did a quick check, the length of the tube in the Estes kit is 19.5" and the length of the wraps is about 19.75" so pretty close. I had to scale the printouts of the wraps at 94% for the circumference to be correct.

So how do you plan to make your wrap? Will you print it on an adhesive backed paper or regular printer paper and glue it on?

I'm not very experienced with this so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but I just finished a Zooch Saturn 1B and used 110 lb cardstock for the wraps and it came out very nice.

I used Elmers white glue since it allowed me a least a little time to adjust the wraps properly before they set. Once I had the wraps where I wanted them I used rubber bands to keep everything in place while it dried overnight.

I'm a little concerned that 110 lb cardstock might be too heavy for this build. According to the Estes website this model only goes 200' (typo?) on the recommended C6-3. The kit parts weigh about 112 gm and according to my calculations the wraps would add about 15 more grams.

I'm going to use full sheet self adhesive pages to print the wraps on. Also I calculated that the wraps would be about 11mm longer than the stock tube in the kit. The instructions with the Groen wraps say to build up this extra length with card stock. I say no to that. So I ordered: T204-34 2.024x2.0x.021x34 Centuri ST-20 from Balsa Machining. It just came in today and the cone base fits nicely into it. I put the fin sheet into my home scanner, copier, printer and did several copies of it so I can cut the fins out of basswood. Pretty much the only thing from the kit that I'll wind up with is the capsule. Shoot the whole thing with a flat clear coat, when it's done. I plan to fly it on Aerotech D10 motors so I'm not too concerned about adding extra weight. Likely will need some weight in the nose too, by the time I get done with it.

@Jeff: If you're using adhesive-backed paper, may I suggest you put a bead of white glue along the seam. I use ProTac, which works great on flat surfaces but tends to peel up on curved surfaces like tubing. Pre-bending the paper helps some but glue is the only way to ensure it won't peel over time.

@Trachten: I just finished a BT-70 Saturn Ib using Frank Claunch's wraps with terrific results. I used bright white 20 lb paper with Avery Permanent Glue Stic. The glue stick allows you a little bit of time to reposition the wrap. Plus, it doesn't soak or wrinkle the wrap.

Joe_Shockcord,

Thanks, I haven't started the Redstone yet but I may try the wraps your way. I've been seeing a few build threads where the Redstone came out really nice with just paint and decals though so I'm on the fence about the wraps now. Decisions, decisions. I'm in the middle of a build of the 1970's Honest John kit with the paper nacelles and and faring shroud so I have to finish that first.

Got started on the Estes Mercury Redstone. Picked up some printable adhesive-backed vinyl at my favorite crafting store (HL).

cricut printable vinyl.jpg

The first page of the pdf file has a thin black band that you print to size the wraps around the 2.05 inch diameter of the body tube (AKA the Centuri ST20 tube). I came up with a print size of 95% with this little exercise. Then I printed the 4 main wraps on pages 2,3 and 4.

MR8 wraps.jpg

I got some Krylon Workable Fixatif to set the colors on the vinyl. After that dries for at least 48 hours I can proceed to wrapping.

Last edited:
Interesting.:cool2: I'm subscribed as well.:pop: I just picked up a MR kit last evening at HL.

I built one using the wraps a few years back for the anniversary of Grissom's flight at the Cincinatti NARAM. It turned out pretty nice, but I did have to extend the BT about a half inch (the old Estes model was not quite scale length - don't know about the new one). Those old kits were a pain to assemble the escape tower as nothing really fit together properly. If I remember correctly, I printed them on cardstock - most likely 110# stock. I think I used white glue on both BT and wrap, let both dry, then used a covering iron to apply the wrap (pre-curled as well). It turned out pretty good. I'd post a pic, except it didn't deploy at ejection and came in hard into a concrete paved feed lot at the farm where we fly. Not much left, I'm afraid.

I got the wraps on today ! Yeah I'm slow. It's a hobby dammit !! :blush:

That Hobby Lobby vinyl worked out well; it allowed me to lift and stretch slightly to get a good fit. I think my poor man's solution might just be good enough.

IMG_0874.jpgIMG_0875.jpgIMG_0876.jpgIMG_0877.jpg

I ended up with an airframe length about 7/16 longer than the stock Estes tube using the Groen wraps.

IMG_0878.jpg

Back