Don't let this happen to your AT RMS case!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhein

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am sharing my tale of woe that others might learn:
Recently I was flying my scratch built L1 rocket with an AT RMS 29/240 case. The case had a G79W load using the Reload Adapter System (RAS). The motor was retained by an Estes 29mm plastic retainer.

On that fateful morning I assembled the load in the case. The rocket is small enough that I only need half of the 1.3 grams of BP provided. Well I accidentally poured all of it in the ejection well. No big deal I thought. I inserted the motor in the rocket. I grabbed a well used Estes retainer that I noticed didn't quite attach as well as a new one would, but if you ever used an Estes retainer on the HP cases, you know that they don't fit perfectly. They do work though.

Well the flight was great. The rocket reached just under a 1000ft and I clearly heard the ejection charge go off. As the rocket started it descent with the parachute deployed, I heard a distinct metallic ping in the distance. Not unlike the ping of an aluminum baseball bat hitting a pitch.

As you might have guessed the combination of the extra BP and the worn Estes retainer resulted in my nice case being ejected at about a thousand feet up! I was lucky enough to search in the direction of the ping and I found my case. Luckily the aft retainer was fine but the forward....well not so much.

case-1.jpgcase-2.jpgcase-3.jpg

Thankfully the fine folks at Wildman had a new AT 240 case and a new RAS they could ship to me right away.

The question is what to do with the old case? My thought is to cut it down to a 120 length. I KNOW that this case would not be certified but could be used as a research case. I also fly on a private field so I am not too worried. The case would need to be threaded for the forward enclosure but I don't know the exact thread specs. Does anyone know? Would a machine shop do this for a reasonable fee? Reasonable defined as cheaper than just buying a new 120 case.

thanks
Jim

Ouch! That's painful to see. I know I've heard of some people having cases cut down, I think They said they used Tru-Core, but I'm not sure. You could cut off both ends and use it as an aluminum av-bay for a 29mm MD rocket if you can't get it cut to another motor.

Nate

I don't believe that TruCore does threading. I agree with Eric, put it on your shelf.

f6c.jpg

I keep things like that with some other souvenirs / reminders. I never remember what they are supposed to remind me of though. Mainly research mistakes.

AMW Pro-X will trade you a brand, spanking new CTI case the same size as your Aerotech case for any Aerotech case.

Did the retainer threads fail or did the glue holding the retainer on the MMT fail?

Did the retainer threads fail or did the glue holding the retainer on the MMT fail?

The actual cap that screws on was no where to be found after the 'incident'. It had been used on about 10 or so flights with this case. It showed some minor heat damage. The thing is I 'knew' something didn't feel right when I screwed it on, but I ignored my gut. My bad:facepalm:

If you cut it down to a 180 or 120, you are not relegated to research launches. Gary recommends this all the time.

I would definitely shorten it to a 180 and keep flying it. Take it to a few local machine shops and ask for quotes. The machinist will be able to determine thread count by looking at the good closure you have. Just tell them you want identical threading on either end. It's not hard.

I would check prices for the shorter tubes. Anything more than that and it's cheaper buying a new shorter tube then cutting that one.

I would expect that you can buy a new shorter tube much cheaper then a machine shop will cut down and thread that case. If you can't do it yourself, it probably isn't worth it.

Chances are any machine shop willing to cut those threads is going to charge you more than a brand new case.

Every machine shop I have dealt with has had a minimum set-up fee; usually around forty or fifty dollars.

Back