20 kgs rocket parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EssamOmar

Reaction score
for my 20 kgs rocket with 6 inches tub diameter
i made the drogue semi ellipsoidal parachute with 61 inches diameter for decent rate 49 foot/s
and the main semi ellipsoidal parachute with 183 inches diameter for decent rate 15 foot/s

what do you think about my recovery ?

Last edited:
The descent rates are good. Some people might say as long as you're between 15-25 fps you should be good but it really depends on the landing surface and how well built your rocket is.

So what motor do you plan on using?

Last edited:
your drogue is very big, the decent rate on my ultimate wildman is 110 feet/sec. Of course the advantage of a bigger drogue is less shock on the system when the main deploys. The disadvantage would be more drift, so what's your launch field look like? The far extreme would just to do mains at apogee....

I think the drogue is a bit large. I would think more like a 24" or so.

Landing speed is fine, but I agree with the guys above: drogue speed could be faster. I usually target 75-100 FPS (which doesn't always translate out during descent).

Later!

--Coop

Yeah, If one is going to use a deployment bag that remains attached to the shockcord for the main chute, it is desireable to have a high descent rate and a properly sized pilot chute to pull the bag off the main. Too slow a descent and too small of a pilot chute and the main is going to hang in the bag.
I used to smugly "scoff" at the Sky Angle philosophy of attaching the bag to the nosecone and have to recover the bag and nosecone separately from the main
sustainer. I don't anymore as it's a better way to ensure the main gets out. Kurt

Back