New Launch Rods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgthawker

Reaction score
I took the advice of several members and ordered new launch rods from McMaster-Carr, and ordered the three standard thicknesses. I came home today to this with a big smile on my face anticipating better launches:

ZC

The bend in the tube is not lonely, all three rods inside have matching bends. The story does get better though. I called McMaster-Carr and spoke to Stephanie, explaining what happened, she said they would credit me the three rods and reship for arrival this Thursday. Today is Tuesday. Is that great service or what? I then queried if she wanted the damaged rods shipped back and she replied no need. I don't even have to front shipping charges back to McMaster-Carr. :surprised:

That tube almost looks the same as my shipping box from Loc after USPS delivered it, 2 crimps in box and one in the 54mm MMT tube inside (about 12" from one end).

Loc is awesome, I sent an email on Saturday to their contact email with tracking and invoice numbers, and Monday morning a new package was on the way, should arrive tomorrow.

I took the advice of several members and ordered new launch rods from McMaster-Carr, and ordered the three standard thicknesses. I came home today to this with a big smile on my face anticipating better launches:

ZC

The bend in the tube is not lonely, all three rods inside have matching bends. The story does get better though. I called McMaster-Carr and spoke to Stephanie, explaining what happened, she said they would credit me the three rods and reship for arrival this Thursday. Today is Tuesday. Is that great service or what? I then queried if she wanted the damaged rods shipped back and she replied no need. I don't even have to front shipping charges back to McMaster-Carr. :surprised:

I received my rods from McMaster-Carr in the same packages. It took some doing to bend those tubes, they're pretty tough. I'm betting they hardly ever hear back on damaged goods shipped in those tubes and wonder, as I do, what exactly happened.

Mine arrived the same way... it must be bad karma!
My 6 ft long stainless 1/4 inch has a bow in it. My 6 ft long 3/16 and 1/8 came through fine. (those 2 are being cut down into 3 ft lengths)
Am going to try to straighten the 1/4 inch. If not successful, I'll cut it down.
Any best approaches any of you have come up with to straighten a bowed stainless rod?
Greg

Any best approaches any of you have come up with to straighten a bowed stainless rod?
Greg

That depends on the degree of bow - is it over the entire length, or just a portion of it? Is it uniform in radius, or is it bent more in one place than another?

I think that (despite some folks recent disgust with UPS) there has been ample evidence that, regardless of carrier, there is risk in shipping items that are long and potentially bent. That means rods, rails, body tubes, etc. I've now recently witnessed similar failures of UPS, USPS, and FedEx, so it is not fair to single any one of them out. All are potentially brutal on packages. If you are shipping - or having something shipped - you really have to assume that you are at risk, and package accordingly. Most vendors are good about dealing with that. Ones that aren't should be weeded out. But you really need to pack stuff to fit the system, because the system does not tailor how it handles packages to what's in them.

That depends on the degree of bow - is it over the entire length, or just a portion of it? Is it uniform in radius, or is it bent more in one place than another?

I think that (despite some folks recent disgust with UPS) there has been ample evidence that, regardless of carrier, there is risk in shipping items that are long and potentially bent. That means rods, rails, body tubes, etc. I've now recently witnessed similar failures of UPS, USPS, and FedEx, so it is not fair to single any one of them out. All are potentially brutal on packages. If you are shipping - or having something shipped - you really have to assume that you are at risk, and package accordingly. Most vendors are good about dealing with that. Ones that aren't should be weeded out. But you really need to pack stuff to fit the system, because the system does not tailor how it handles packages to what's in them.

Most vendors that aren't good about dealing with damage "weed" themselves out....

An update:

They told me to expect delivery on Thursday, I came home to a straight tube today (Wednesday) with perfect rods. Fast shipping! McMaster-Carr has won a repeat customer. :cheers:

Back