Successful First Attempt at Dual Deployment - THANK YOU!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjkcolorado

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to reach out to The Rocketry Forum community and the good folks of NCR (Northern Colorado Rocketry) and say a big 'THANK YOU'. This past Saturday I completed one of my goals for this year in successfully launching and recovering my first electronic dual deploy rocket. It was BEAUTIFUL! Sorry, I'd share some video, but a fellow flier is having trouble sending me the file. Anyways, I spent a lot of time reading threads and posting questions here to learn about all the different ways to do things for dual deployment. I also asked a lot of questions and looked over a lot of shoulders at launches at NCR over the last year. I would never have made it to this point without all your help, so again, THANKS!

Congrats! I've been flying with NCR for a decade and they are some of the best people you'll meet! Look forward tos eeing you at a launch.

Edward

Congratulations on your DD! I've been with NCR off and on for around a decade. (more off than on, lately, but I hope to get back)
They's good people.
-Ken

It's a great feeling that first time you see the drogue and main come out, isn't it? Congrats!

It's a great feeling that first time you see the drogue and main come out, isn't it? Congrats!

You aren't kidding! I was also surprised at how nervous I was right before launch. Knowing how much time I put into this scratch build and researching all the different aspects of dual deployment made the successful flight very satisfying. My next goal with this build is my Level 2 attempt at Mile High Mayhem. That goal added to my stress at launch realizing a failure would set me back to 'square one'.

Congrats on the successful DD.

I think you'll find once you do it a few times, it is more reliable then motor eject and definitely easier on the rocket because it always hits right at apogee (unless your vent holes are too small, then it will arch over some before firing the apogee charge). I did my first DD on a G motor test flight of my L1 cert rocket. I did the cert with DD and an I motor. I never even considered doing my L2 without DD. Right now I don't fly anything over an H motor without DD since it's become such a standard part of my flights.

Once you've done a few flights and get comfortable with DD, you'll want to fly with it more then without.

Dual deploy was the first goal with this rocket. As I noted earlier, goal number 2 is my Level 2 certification flight (with dual deploy). Hope to do that the first weekend of June at NCR's (Northern Colorado Rocketry) Mile High Mayhem. If all goes well with that, goal number 3 is to learn to use a radio/GPS tracking system (nose cone bay already built into this rocket). Goal number 4 is to stuff the biggest 54mm motor that will fit in it and go over a mile AGL.... and find it after (see goal #3 :))

And 'YES' dual deploy is fun!

Back