Any one interested in a Tristar Drag Race?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob jablonski

Reaction score
as I warned in my Black Friday sale, I will be offering up the original LOC Tristars for a Dragrace at LDRS. I wasn't sure weather to go with 3 H115 DM DMS with adapters or 3 I 140 W DMS. the I's would go higher but the H's are Dark Metal (I like sparky's). So I am going with the H sparky's. If interested let me know so I can get enough H motors togeather.Aand if you don't have a Tristar and would like to get in on it I have more.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
like us on facebook

I can hook you up. Kits on the web store. But the drag race folks get a deal on the motors and adapters.

Hate to be bummer but as it turns out the Launch Director, ME had a terrible understanding of the mass launch rules! I wont bore anyone with my feeble understanding of those lines of legal morass but drag races must follow the NFPA guidelines which are stringent. Basically, with the range layout at LDRS or Most any TRA or NAR affiliated launch I ever been to Drag Races, even on H motors is extinct!

Sorry for the misunderstanding guys. Let beatings begin!

Last edited:
Rulz iz rulz. It will be a little strange without a drag race at LDRS but I have a King Viper going up there. And I still have Tristars available.

The funny thing is you could get away with flying 4 H motors but you would have to do it from the 500 foot pads! How "Exciting"

Not if we only use Tripoli rules are Drag races still allowed?
Yes. Drag races are still allowed but the separation distances have been lengthened greatly as of July 2013.
F. When three or more rockets (at least one high power) are launched simultaneously, the minimum distance for all involved rockets shall be the lesser of:
1. Twice the complex distance for the total installed impulse. (refer to V. Distance Tables)

a. The separation distance for complex H thru J motors is 200' so the minimum separation distance for any high power drag race involving 3 or more rockets is 400'. As few as 4 full H motors and up to as many 7 minimum H motors are the number of rocket that can be launched from 400' simultaneously, and not more than 3 minimum I motors can be launched at 400'.
b. The separation distance for complex K motors is 300' so the minimum separation distance for any high power drag race with a total installed impulse of all rockets involved is in the K range is 600'. As few as 8 full H motors and up to as many 15 minimum H motors are the number of rocket that can be launched from 600' simultaneously, and as few as 4 full I and not more than 7 minimum I motors can be launched at 600'.
c. The separation distance for complex L motors is 500' so the minimum separation distance for any high power drag race with a total installed impulse of all rockets involved is in the L range is 1000'. You can do the math here.
d. The separation distance for complex M motors is 1000' so the minimum separation distance for any high power drag race with a total installed impulse of all rockets involved is 2000'. This means that when the total installed impulse is over 5120 NS, you are at 2000'

2. 2000 ft (610 M).

3. 1.5 times the highest altitude expected to be achieved by any of the rockets. So if the event is going over 1333', you launch from 2000'.

So basically you can't have a high power drag race from any distance closer than 400', and the anything goes distance is 2000'. Since most events to not have a large number of pads at 400' or more, HP drag races are effectively stymied since it is a major undertaking to move many HP pads during a launch for just one drag race.

Bob

I am sure the Independent clubs like MDRA, QCRS, Indiana and alike will still have fun with mass launches.

No drag race but how about this contest? I'll set out 4 Tristars with motors. First one to build, fly and bring it back with all 3 motors lit wins a gift certificate?

OK got 2 in. I would have ordered more sparkys till the plug was pulled on the drag race. But after the first 4 slots are filled I can add a few more slots with I140W DMS. Cost for the kit, motors and pre assembled adaptors for the H's is $160.00 winner gets a full refund.

2 weeks left to let me know if your in. Gotta make sure I have enough kits and motors loaded but don't want a bunch extra items in the already overloaded Rocket wagon.

Well at least you will win this one. I look forward to seeing your KVIII clone in my rear looking camera...

(trash talk, the second best thing about LDRS)

Well at least you will win this one. I look forward to seeing your KVIII clone in my rear looking camera...

(trash talk, the second best thing about LDRS)
So you gonna slide the LCO a $20.00? I did a warm up at Indians Purdy Sod farm yesterday. On my 3" Tristar and 3G74 emaxes. All lit and left the pad like now. King viper will do the same. You right trash talking is fun!

Back