Estes Snapshot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
I found an Estes Snapshot for sale on an auction site, so I put in a bid. I was the only bidder (this should have told me something), so now I have a Snapshot. The rocket also came with most of the pieces of a Portapad II (no blast deflector), and an Electronbeam controller, so my daughter and I can get some use out of it.

Snapshot.jpg

I was surprised--the rocket had a C6-5 already loaded, with an ignitor, and it was full of wadding. The camera has film installed; the exposure window show "2". While trying to pull the engine out, the whole fin can came loose, so I epoxied it back on. The main issue, though, is the shock cord--it looks a little dried out and it's very short. It seems to be attached to the launch lug. I'm thinking I should replace it with a kevlar/elastic combination. Anyone tried that, or something similar? How do you anchor the kevlar? Pool of epoxy?

Also, where does one get 110 film developed nowadays?

Yes you really should add a longer shock cord. The camera is heavy and will snap back hard. My astrocam would foul the parachute every time. Kevlar will work as a lower cord but you really need at least 2x the length of the entire rocket in elastic shock cord. Get 1/4 inch wide elastic from the sewing notions area of wall mart and either use an Estes teabag style shock cord mount or kevlar epoxied to the body tube.

Back