Scratch build Falcon 9 v1.1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're actually building it as a cluster. Awesome.

Too bad you can't actually fit 27 motors in there...

You're actually building it as a cluster. Awesome.

Too bad you can't actually fit 27 motors in there...

Actually thinking of building another 2 1st stages to make Falcon heavy at some time in future. Just need to figure out mechanism to separate outer stages while centre is still under boost. Anyway I need to finish the Falcon 9 first.

Anxiously waiting for updates to this build thread. Are there any?

I have been a little busy lately and just stated to get back to the build. I have made the tube for the 38mm second stage MMT and I'm in the process of building the mandrel for the coupler tube.

Sorry, I meant no offense. CATO is a real if unfortunate possibility in all rockets, large and small, as we all know. I was only trying to be ironic, not snarky.

Sorry, I meant no offense. CATO is a real if unfortunate possibility in all rockets, large and small, as we all know. I was only trying to be ironic, not snarky.

I understand, and no offence taken. I would have made a similar comment myself. Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure my low powered version (10 x D12) will not CATO. Since the 1st stage MMT is removable I intend to build a separate MMT for larger motors (sometime in the future). And although the design will not be intended for CATO, 9 high power engines certainly increases the risk.

anxiously waiting to see how this one turns out. I'd also like to see how the cluster set up goes and the electrics needed to ignite.

Very, very impressive. Nothing I have ever built has had this level of quality design and craftsmanship. I'm really looking forward to following this build to launch! Quick question, though (and anyone, please feel free to answer): Where do your designs come from. By that, I mean, do you simply invent the wheel from scratch (for example, the way you mount the fins), or do you have a resource that helps you come up with good designs?

1:39 for several reasons. I had a 90mm mandrel, which gives a 94mm OD, and that works out to 1:39. I wanted to use 24mm MMT and the 9 engine octaweb with 24mm MMT just fits in a 90mm tube. If I went with 4" tube the weight would be too much for 9 x D12 motors. Since I make my own tubes and nose cones I can use any diameter that suits the application. The only requirement is standard MMT sizes. I have mandrels for all MMT from 18mm to 38mm.
How did your 1:48 Falcon work out. Have you flown it?

And...HOW do you make your own nosecones? I've made some crappy ones in the past, but nothing that I'd write home about. If anyone has a trick for making nice nosecones, I'm ALL ears!

Very, very impressive. Nothing I have ever built has had this level of quality design and craftsmanship. I'm really looking forward to following this build to launch! Quick question, though (and anyone, please feel free to answer): Where do your designs come from. By that, I mean, do you simply invent the wheel from scratch (for example, the way you mount the fins), or do you have a resource that helps you come up with good designs?
Existing designs, one's own, other people's, and commercial. Use methods that have worked before.

And...HOW do you make your own nosecones? I've made some crappy ones in the past, but nothing that I'd write home about. If anyone has a trick for making nice nosecones, I'm ALL ears!
Lathe.

I'm just getting back to rocketry and intend to continue with this build. I'll post again as soon as I make progress. Working on a design for the second stage fin attachment.

:cool:

Great build :)

i haven't decided on the avionics yet - perhaps the TeleMega. Any suggestion here would be welcome.
I have a couple of TeleMegas. Love them. If you can go the $ then it would be my pick. It does sound a little overkill given the project (but that's not bad, is it? :)) so my recommendation would be a Raven or two, or Eggtimer stuff. There are some nice choices there and not much $.

Avionics still a little way down the track. I need to work out recovery method first. Ideally each part will separate and come down with its own parachute. That's Booster, Interstage, 2nd stage, trunk and capsule - 5 separate chutes. I have a plan for the booster and Interstage and still working on a system for the other parts.
The plan for the booster is simple in principle but complicated to describe. The booster BT is in 2 parts, upper (540mm) and lower (480mm). They will not separate for recovery. The idea is that the chute will attach to the top of the booster in the centre so that the booster descends vertically, tail down. To achieve this I'll have a piston in the upper part of the booster that can easily slide from the bottom to the top of the upper section. The coupler between the upper and lower section will prevent the piston from moving any further down the tube (during launch). There will also be a bulkhead at the top of the booster (just below the coupler between the booster and the interstage). A ring (5mm ply with 90mm OD and 80mm ID) will be epoxied to the booster BT just below this bulkhead. This will hold the bulkhead in place and also prevent the piston coming out the top of the booster tube. The shock cord will attach to and eye in the center of the piston and also to an eye in the top bulkhead. After ignition of 2nd stage and separation, a charge in the upper part of the booster will blow the top bulkhead out taking the parachute with it. The piston will be pulled to the top of the booster so now the parachute will lower the booster from the top centre. When I build all the parts for this system I'll post photos to make this description a little clearer.

As an alternate deployment, this design also allows for an ejection charge to push the piston to the top and deploy the chute. Need to have large vent holes in upper part to release pressure from ejection charge. Not sure if that's feasable.

Yes that's true. But the motor mount is also part of the fin assembly, so it requires a whole new assembly and new fins. That is part of the future possible upgrades.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1499173518.289107.jpg
The photo shows the booster stage with lower and upper sections separated. Fin slot visible in lower section. The recovery system is laid out in approx position - except for electronics and parachute. Thrust ring also in photo. From left: thrust ring, piston, shock cord, locator ring (also stops piston near top of booster), top bulk head.

Working on motor retainer and MMT retainer. The motor retainer will hold motors in MMT. Since the whole MMT and fin assembly is designed to slide out the bottom of the booster I also need to retain this assembly. Planning to use 2 x 4mm threaded rod from top of MMT to bulkhead at the bottom of the coupler between lower and upper sections of booster. I'll post photos when it's done.

Motor retainer is complete, I'll post photos soon.
Planning how to do the separation between booster and 2nd stage. I could just use ignition of the 2nd stage motor but I would prefer to have a charge separation (within about 1 second of MECO) and then ignition of 2nd stage within 1 second of separation. Not sure how well that will work - any thoughts?

I have finished manufacture of all the parts I need to build the booster stage.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1499382285.404359.jpg

The parts are (from top left): upper and lower BT, MMT/fin assembly, piston and top bulkhead with 6mm eyes, shock cord, retaining bolts (4mm threaded rod), coupler (avionics bay) with bulkheads, av tray, bolts.
Next job - epoxy parts in BT
What's still required for booster: motor retainer, timer for booster separation (minitimer 4), altimeter for deployment (stratologger CF), parachute (need to buy some more ripstop nylon), charge canister, wiring and switches. I've ordered a nomex blanket for parachute.

The booster will be single deployment at this stage, when I go high power I'll use a Chute Release.

The avionics bay/coupler connects the upper and lower tubes of the booster - held together with rivets. These sections do not separate for recovery. The images show the motor retainer, top plate, and booster hanging from shock cord, with piston at the top of tube. I have my altimeter on order. Once it arrives I'll test the recovery system. In the meantime I'm working on the interstate and second stage. I'll post some details soon.
Photos not uploading from ipad. I'll post photos shortly

IMG_7223.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

IMG_7227.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

Back