Four inch stubby (or close) rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoon

Reaction score
I am looking to get a four in stubby (or close) rocket that I can fly at my club's field that has a 2000' ceiling and a G motor limit. Bigger rockets will be flown when I can get to another launch that is farther away.

So far, this is what I have come up with:

Madcow
Cowabunga - really like it but out of stock almost everywhere
Tembo
Squat - 54mm motor mount is more than I need

Binder
Thug - I like this one a lot
Dragonfly - No too interested in this design
Jackhammer - not sure about the design, but the package looks like it cannot be beat

RW
Lil Rascal SE - like the size and design, 54mm motor mount more than I need. getting packages from RW seems to be an issue for me, $80 w/ no recovery gear

PML
Bumble Bee - marginal on the stubby requirement, but a really nice design
Striker - marginal on the stubby requirement, but I am getting one just because I love the look

There is also the Mega Der Red Max, but it is a little longer than I want, and I am not a huge fan of the design.

I know the Minnie Magg is popular, but I think it is just too big for my field and lack of certification (for now).

Are there any others I should look at?

My short list as of right now is, in order or desire:
Cowabunga
Thug or Jackhammer
Lil Rascal

Thanks for any advice, opinions, and other models to look at,

Steve

Last edited:
Although it's OOP, you might find an NCR Big Brute for sale on line. If you do, and it's from the Estes era, be sure you replace the motor mount tube with a true 29mm tube (I.e. LOC).

Scratch?

May want to just do your own.

Maggie, which you mentioned, is a 5.5" diameter, and while certain G's might do in perfect conditions, she really needs a bigger H or an I to wake up.

AT's Sumo is a short 4" with a 29mm MMT. It includes a goofy piston system I'd toss out, but that may do for you.

I still think, if your needs are that specific, you may be best served making your own...

Later!

--Coop

Last edited:
Here's a few alternative 4" stubby rockets.

https://binderdesign.com/store/page2.html looks at the Thug 29 @ $60 and Thug 38 @ $65 weight 1.5 pounds and designed for E to H Impulse (400' < F < 700' < G < 1300' <H < 2000'), and Jackhammer 38 @ $75 estimated weight ~2 pounds designed for G to J (750' < G < 1000' < H < 2000' < I < 3200' < J < 4000'). These are complete kits and include chutes and shock cords.

Bob

There is also he Polecat Goblin. This also has the 54mm mount, but the Goblin series are good flyers.

Phil L.

Wow, they really are out of Cowabunga's at Madcow...

I also like the Tembo, a lot. Something to consider is, the Madcow kits are fairly complete, coming with the rail buttons and the shockcord. Yes, you have to buy the chute & chute protector, but otherwise the kits are fairly complete, and the instructions are very good...

...although that Binder Design Bat looks really nice. That's it, I have to stop looking now...must...resist...

Although it's OOP, you might find an NCR Big Brute for sale on line. If you do, and it's from the Estes era, be sure you replace the motor mount tube with a true 29mm tube (I.e. LOC).

I have a Lance Delta and really like it, although I have not flown it yet, so NCR is good with me, but I could not find one anywhere. I ever see one, though&#8230;

I still think, if your needs are that specific, you may be best served making your own...
I had contemplated scratch building one, but I think that is a task further down the road for me. I don&#8217;t think my needs are that specific. Four inch airframe, flies on G motors, and I like the looks of it. Pretty simple, I would think.

Bob &#8211; the Binder rockets you point to are already on my list, as are lots of other Binder rockets, as my skills increase.

There is also he Polecat Goblin. This also has the 54mm mount, but the Goblin series are good flyers.

Phil L.

I had not looked at Polecat before, but the Goblin looks pretty good. I also see they have a three inch version, so hmmm&#8230;

Wow, they really are out of Cowabunga's at Madcow...

I also like the Tembo, a lot. Something to consider is, the Madcow kits are fairly complete, coming with the rail buttons and the shockcord. Yes, you have to buy the chute & chute protector, but otherwise the kits are fairly complete, and the instructions are very good...

...although that Binder Design Bat looks really nice. That's it, I have to stop looking now...must...resist...

I also like the Tembo, but the Cowabunga looks a little better to me. I know about Madcow kits. I am kind of addicted to their minis. I have a Pike built, a Patriot in process, and a Frenzy in the build pile. If the Cowabunga was available, this thread may never have happened, but&#8230;

Don&#8217;t get me started on Binder. I know once I own one, I will be in trouble. The three inch Excel, the four inch Excel, the Thug, the Tyrannosaur, the Velociraptor... Good thing cert. level, money, and storage space won&#8217;t allow all that I want.

Is Mercury Engineering still around ? Their RDR I fits the bill. I saw a Mutant Daddy (3") fly many times years ago at our club launches; a very good flyer.

https://www.mercury-rockets.com/RDRI_Model_Rocket.html

They do appear to still be around, and I really like the look of the rocket, and the price, as well. The one thing I am not sure of is balsa fins on a rocket this size??

Thanks again for all the ideas. More are always welcome, as I am sure others could benefit from this list.

Last edited:
I was in exactly your position at one point and I chose the Thug. I'm glad I did. Very straightforward build. Wood/phenolic components easy to work with. Keep it light and a G64 is perfect. In general, I also like Binder kits and Mike is a good guy.

I built a Thug in 2004 and flew it on AT Hobbyline F52T and G motors until I got my L1 in 2007. Even after the cert, the G64W was a staple with that rocket. It's a great flyer!

Back