Your thoughts about TRF Yard Sales, auctions, etc.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When buying items from fellow rocketeers, what's your preference?

• TRF Yard Sale - fixed price, first PM gets it.

• TRF Yard Sale - blind auction (accepting 'best offers' via PMs for a set period of time)

• eBay

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Worsaer

Amateur Propulsionist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Having purchased and sold items here using the Yard Sale forum, and on eBay, I'm curious about others preferences, if any, about purchasing items here or elsewhere from fellow rocketeers.

FWIW, all of my non-vendor rocketry purchases have been made here on TRF. I'm going to guess I have made over 40 transactions here. Only one transaction was problematic but the seller eventually made good on the deal. Others had far more difficulty with that same ex-vendor and lost a lot of money.

My entire collection of Dr. Rocket's hardware came via the Yard Sale.

I've bought and sold and really for my purposes the sale price/first come has worked out best. I know what I have to have to buy and I know what to expect in a sale.

The problem with the first come, first served idea is that not everyone is in the same time zone, or logs in at the same time everyday. I mean, if the vendor gets his price, then it's all good for him. But for the buyers, I like option 2. Seems a little more fair (not that you have to be fair, it's your stuff).

The problem with the first come, first served idea is that not everyone is in the same time zone, or logs in at the same time everyday. I mean, if the vendor gets his price, then it's all good for him. But for the buyers, I like option 2. Seems a little more fair (not that you have to be fair, it's your stuff).

I agree - I might check the forum a couple of times a day, and I have missed a fair number of opportunities to purchase stuff at a good price.

But it seems like the downside of Option 2 is that you cannot see the other bids are doing. I guess it's fair and sort of prevents bid competition (as in an open auction).

I've bought a ton of great stuff here. Some things I don't think I ever would have found elsewhere. I've missed out on exponentially more opportunities because I was not the first in line. My experience is that transactions here are fair for both parties. It is a seller's game, but I prefer listed price, first come - first served.

Cheers,
Michael

As a buyer - I prefer first PM "wins" - simply because I don't want to wait when I see something.

But I've also purchased items in the blind auction format too. Either is fun - and agreed, great ways to pick up items I wouldn't otherwise see or know about.

Only solution to this is a period of entry and draw numbers.... a lottery of sorts. Or by bid then we're an "ebay". There have been sales of things that I just didn't have the money for, once was a dealer clearout of old motors. I whined but it was toung-in-cheek :) I did end up buying a lot of what I wanted even though the seller said he'd pull some out for me. I had enough of the common motors, I wanted the C11-3's and the BlastOff pack of 1/4A3-2's and things I've rarely used...I'm always on the lookout for B14's... :)

Last edited:
I've bought plenty of stuff both here and on ebay...
I've never had a bad experience here
and seldom on ebay...
It's all good,,, and you get some great deals compared to buy new full retail.....

Teddy

Pm and buy , auctions even on eBay its rare that I bid I'm a "Buy it Now" buyer

You know what you have, you know what it's worth.
If someone is as inthused at it as you are, you will sell it.
If not, you keep it and build it and fly it.
Things, all things, have value. The value is determined by 2 things.
What you think it is worth.
And what you will accept for it when you need money.
I voted as the majority did, and expect for the same reasons.
And this is where someone in a bind and get some fast cash, and someone with cash can get a good deal.
For those just fishing to get the big catch on the line, you will go hungry, because we all know what **** is worth.
Would someone please produce a new spine for me so I can sit, lay or even walk without pain again?
Happy weekend ya all

Back