Airfest XXI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't aware the field was open on Thursday. If I get there 9am-ish on Friday morning, will I still be able to get a decent parking spot?

You should be able to. Plenty of room at the Rocket Pasture :)

Chuck? CHUCK? Posted a quaint little reply with a smiley face? :surprised:

It's a sign of the Apocalypse i tell you...See you all on Sunday morning (well, some of you) and, Griff? Play nice...

I wasn't aware the field was open on Thursday. If I get there 9am-ish on Friday morning, will I still be able to get a decent parking spot?

Glenn,
I'm sorry to inform you that all of the decent spots are now taken! All that's left are great spots!
There's a reason we put Tim Lehr on the back row. It's so that flyers such as yourself can get a spot on the front row.
Bob

There's a reason we put Tim Lehr on the back row.

There are at least THREE reasons i can think up for doing so...

#1 Reason would result in a life time ban from future MWP's.
#2 Reason would get everything but, my Birthday taken away from me..
#3 Reason would ban me from ever using Tim's "Arctic Blast A/C in the Motor home" to escape the impending Kansas heat...

So i think ill just shut up for now....;)

No place like the rocket pasture!!! Sitting on top of the hill, currently the last camper in the row watching the ever growing throng is awesome! Not sure how much sleep tonight will bring, looking forward to a LOKI L840-Cocktail to kick off the weekend in the morning. All are welcome to stop by for a visit. Good luck to everyone going to the pads this weekend!

I too am at the Argonia River campground. I stopped out at the rocket pasture and found ten times more campers out there. Looking forward to tomorrow.

What an insane field......
Unfreakinbelivable.......
The earth is different here,,, it's flat,, so you can see so far to the horizon. ...
Just absolutely beautiful. ....
And ya know,, the last 300 miles or so the scenery was beautiful too...
I can't wait to see some rockets fly tomorrow. ...

Leaving in a few minutes. See you all at the field tomorrow morning.

Feeling like a kid.....:D

With the rains that we have gotten in this area, it should be a sea of green. Interrupted only by the occasional tree or tele/power line/pole. I only live 80 miles away:grin: and YES I WILL BE THERE!

Know this is last-minute, but are there any radio communications that would be cool to hear over a radio scanner? If so, what frequencies? Thinking it'd be cool to hear people talking on the radios while we sit and watch.

Thanks!

Pictures people, pictures! At least let us live through a lil :) thx

Hope your flying is great and no Catos,,enjoy your weekend

Here's my video from yesterday:

[video]https://youtu.be/bsM5w10G-fE[/video]

Hey Danno,
What are you using for your on-board camera? Looking to find a more reliable option than the keychain cameras.
Thanks!

Here's my video from yesterday:

[video]https://youtu.be/bsM5w10G-fE[/video]

Last edited:
What an insane field......
Unfreakinbelivable.......
The earth is different here,,, it's flat,, so you can see so far to the horizon. ...
Just absolutely beautiful. ....
And ya know,, the last 300 miles or so the scenery was beautiful too...
I can't wait to see some rockets fly tomorrow. ...

You speak truth!

Great meeting you today, Ted! I hope your journey home is safe and full of cool sites & Americana.

+1 on the Mobius. I plan on flying mine again this morning. Video as good as (or even better) than GoPro.

Here's a quick little post with some of my pictures and video of the Team Wildman rocket we flew at AIRfest yesterday morning. 7 motor cluster, a CTI N2600 and 6x L1410 all skidmark for a total installed impulse of 40,045 Ns. The rocket is a 4:1 upscale of a Wildman kit at 12" diameter and roughly 20 feet tall and a little over 300 lbs.

The business end:

The whole team (L to R: Jason G, Mike S, Tim L, John C, Manny B, Wayne C, Sharon C):

Under Main:

Rocket Plow, Jason and I has to wrestle this one a little bit to get the parachute to deflate:

Tractor Recovery:

Flight Video:

[YOUTUBE]HNzmHh7k0ew&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

My rocket "Chuck" is terminal.....he now lies on sod of my tree farm, cooking in the warm Indiana sun today....:cry: A moment of silence....

This was a very interesting Airfest for me this year. I ran a long/hard shift in my Semi Truck...got home and, packed up and, headed west.
By the time i got in at 4am this morning i figured i drove about 2200 miles in 48 hours...not including time spent in the Kansas sun.

The Kloudbusters deserve a big unending Thank-you/Well Done for their time hosting a Top Notch Event in a place where the environment can be extremely brutal.

It was great to talk to (if only briefly) to my old friends from the OAMC, the Wayne and, Sharon show from Arizona :cool:, run into Mark Grant and, so many other people i only seem too see once or twice a year. That's why i come back every year.

A special thanks to my good friend "Don" Claude Paquin who helped me recover (what was left of my precious) Chuck...It wasn't the 100 degree heat that he had to tolerate, the shoveling, the watching me use a four ton pick-up truck chained to a lump...yanking it out of the ground...but, all the dirty jokes and, rambling thoughts i spew forth from my primitive monkey brain...ALL DAY LONG. You deserve a medal dude...

Had a chance to meet and, briefly talk to Jim Jarvis! WOW! He's bigger in person than i ever would have thought...Of course i only have seen him on this computer screen... Great guy! ;)

Thanks again everyone for the help, well wishes, offers to use their motel room/shower (Manny) but, i had to get turned around heading home...

I'll disassemble Chuck and, recover some *small parts* and, get my act going on Midwest Power 13 to happen soon...Maybe even resurrect Chuck as the "Holy Sh*t Hand Grenade of Antioch"...maybe.

I hope you all had a great time and, safe trips home. It's because of the people that i do this once a year.

If you didn't know already Sharon Hodges is one of newest L-3's in our humble little hobby! Congratulations and, YOU GO GIRL! :wave:

Take care everyone. :D

Incredible event!

I am trying to see who all, if any, happened to get footage of my L3? It was a 12.5' tall Black rocket with Silver nosecone and tipped fins, flew on an Aerotech N2000W. Thanks!!

Incredible event!

I am trying to see who all, if any, happened to get footage of my L3? It was a 12.5' tall Black rocket with Silver nosecone and tipped fins, flew on an Aerotech N2000W. Thanks!!

I have a few photos of that flight. No video. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Last edited:
Here's a quick little post with some of my pictures and video of the Team Wildman rocket we flew at AIRfest yesterday morning. 7 motor cluster, a CTI N2600 and 6x L1410 all skidmark for a total installed impulse of 40,045 Ns. The rocket is a 4:1 upscale of a Wildman kit at 12" diameter and roughly 20 feet tall and a little over 300 lbs.

The whole team (L to R: Jason G, Mike S, Tim L, John C, Manny B, Wayne C, Sharon C):

Great job everyone. Wish I was there to see it.

Had a blast at Airfest. Passed my Cert 2 while I was there and could not have asked for a better time. I would like to thank Christopher Short for being my TAP, Wayne and Sharon for all there help, Edward for mailing me his rocketry nuts before I left for Airfest, Juan for building my eggfinder and quark and all the hospitality at the launch site. This is what makes this hobby great. Here is a video of my launch and and my launch stats https://youtu.be/FjGjvc1SWPU View attachment level2flight.pf2

Last edited:
Back