Airfest XXI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teddy,
Let's recap what I know about at this point.
- There's one "P" motor flight!
- There's one four motor cluster flight of combined P impulse!
- I've kinda of lost count but there must be 6-8 O-3400's flying!
- There have been three high altitude requests turned in for flight above 40K'. (all of them approved).
- There are nearly two dozen high altitude requests sent in for flight between 25K' and 40K'.

The field will be set up with 33 high power pads capable of flying everything from H to O motor impulse. There will be 16 modroc pads. We have a portable wireless launch system to cover any special project that might warrant "bonus distance". There with be a Rocket inspection station both at the range head and at the entrance to the away pads.
Vendors galore, a food vendor on site (be sure to try the roasted corn), and the burger blast set for Saturday night.
I'm sure I missed something!
Bottom line, I certain you will have a great time!

See you all in three weeks,
Bob Brown

I'm trying very hard not to make "squeeeeee" noises like an excited 5 year old!! :D

Gus,

Clearly he doesn't know me well.... Let me answer that before someone else (Wildman) jumps in and beats me to it.

It doesn't matter what color the chute or shock cord color......because I'm gunna forget a quick link anyway so it won't matter. :neener:

:tongue:

Gus,

Clearly he doesn't know me well.... Let me answer that before someone else (Wildman) jumps in and beats me to it.

It doesn't matter what color the chute or shock cord color......because I'm gunna forget a quick link anyway so it won't matter. :neener:

ouch!!! Self-burn!!! That's hardcore, man. Hardcore.

Gus,

So wrong, (I would never say something about you forgetting a quicklink ):grin: Ok yes I would, but not until after we found out if the chute and cord are yellow and black ?

No video. But here are the stills.

E1DDB790-26F0-4B3A-A3E0-691A1A6308C5.png

9F252715-CFAE-4A0A-BCD3-2E0E31511F2F.jpg

Folks I have a Rocket Pasture update:

I drove down to the Rocket Pasture today to see what the field conditions are like. The laborious process of working the farmland around the Argonia Rocket Pasture is progressing in earnest. The biggest news relating to this that we can now say with certainty that Sparky motors will be permitted during AIRFest 21.

sparky_go.png

As always, all Sparky motors regardless of impulse and without exception will be flown from the dirt areas.

Also note, we are still encouraging the use of tracking electronics on flights. There has been a lot of moisture this summer and the area that are not cultivated or mowed will be covered with tall weeds. Recovery will be much easier with a tracker to guide you to it.

Thanks, --Lance.

Last edited:
"Go Pink or Go Home" will fly again at AIRFest, and although August isn't the official month for breast cancer awareness, every month should be.

And not only for women - I have a friend who's brother died from breast cancer. :sad:

I think I know the answer to this, and I think it might have been answered somewhere else, but I can't find it.

My son, Jonah, has decided to come with me to Airfest. Since he is 17 he will be flying LPR/MPR only and just watching the HPR fun (while I, hopefully, get my L1)

Does that mean that I register as a HPR flyer and Jonah registers as a non-flyer, or do I pay the $45 for both of us? (I am an NAR member, Jonah is not)

I think I know the answer to this, and I think it might have been answered somewhere else, but I can't find it.

My son, Jonah, has decided to come with me to Airfest. Since he is 17 he will be flying LPR/MPR only and just watching the HPR fun (while I, hopefully, get my L1)

Does that mean that I register as a HPR flyer and Jonah registers as a non-flyer, or do I pay the $45 for both of us? (I am an NAR member, Jonah is not)
John,

Since Jonah is a minor and will only fly MPR/LPR, he does not need to register as an HPR flyer. He can fly all he wants for free per our longstanding KLOUDBusters policy "G and under fly for free". No registration for Jonah is required - although we know he would like a t-shirt. ;-).

A couple more points that may or may not be applicable: 1) since we fly under the TRA Research Safety Code, Jonah's range access is limited to the dedicated model rocket area while the range is active; 2) If Jonah were to join TRA and pass the TRA TMP test exam, he would have mentored access to the HPR areas.

HTH and if you have other questions - please ask.

--Lance.

Quick reminder to everyone …

The pre-registration period for AIRFest 21 ends Monday August 17, 2015. That is TOMORROW.

Pre-registration lets you take advantage of a nice discount, reserving an official AIRFest 21 t-shirt and the streamlined check-in process at the field: just show your TRA or NAR card, grab you flyer’s packet and DONE.

Go to https://www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/

Thanks, --Lance.

The fin can I have been working on is leaving my shop, bound for a certain "wild" house to be painted. Next step, flying at AIRfest.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1439742285.345606.jpg

John,

Since Jonah is a minor and will only fly MPR/LPR, he does not need to register as an HPR flyer. He can fly all he wants for free per our longstanding KLOUDBusters policy "G and under fly for free". No registration for Jonah is required - although we know he would like a t-shirt. ;-).

A couple more points that may or may not be applicable: 1) since we fly under the TRA Research Safety Code, Jonah's range access is limited to the dedicated model rocket area while the range is active; 2) If Jonah were to join TRA and pass the TRA TMP test exam, he would have mentored access to the HPR areas.

HTH and if you have other questions - please ask.

--Lance.

Thanks! I thought as much but I wanted to be sure before I paid.

As far as Jonah joining TRA as a junior member, that might just be a nice surprise for him when we get there. I am hoping that as we make the acquaintance (in real life) of several of you that we know here on TRF, that we can set up next to one or more of you. I will undoubtedly need a little help with my L1 given my lack of HPR experience, and I suspect that Jonah would dearly love helping anyone else, and being helped. As for passing an exam, Jonah is a sharp kid and I have no doubt about his ability in anything even remotely academic (or athletic for that matter). When you all meet him, I have no doubts that many of you will be wanting to recruit him to help carry your big projects to the pad. :)

This being his senior year, this may just be our last trip together so I won't mind spending a couple extra dollars to make it memorable.

I'm certainly looking forward to meeting you all there!

Thanks! I thought as much but I wanted to be sure before I paid.

As far as Jonah joining TRA as a junior member, that might just be a nice surprise for him when we get there. I am hoping that as we make the acquaintance (in real life) of several of you that we know here on TRF, that we can set up next to one or more of you. I will undoubtedly need a little help with my L1 given my lack of HPR experience, and I suspect that Jonah would dearly love helping anyone else, and being helped. As for passing an exam, Jonah is a sharp kid and I have no doubt about his ability in anything even remotely academic (or athletic for that matter). When you all meet him, I have no doubts that many of you will be wanting to recruit him to help carry your big projects to the pad. :)

This being his senior year, this may just be our last trip together so I won't mind spending a couple extra dollars to make it memorable.

I'm certainly looking forward to meeting you all there!

John,,
Helping and being helped is what the rocketry community is all about to me...
Jonah sounds like an outstanding young man...
I'd be honored if you'd allow me to sign off on your level 1 cert...
( if that's ok of course,, I'm not sure as this isn't a NAR event,, does this signature have to come from the club prefect ?? )

Teddy

Finally registered and very excited to attend!

Last edited:
OK, My son and I are registered and the hotel reservations have been made. I still don't know if everything will be ready in time, but even if they aren't we're coming even if all we can do is watch, we're still coming.

OK, My son and I are registered and the hotel reservations have been made. I still don't know if everything will be ready in time, but even if they aren't we're coming even if all we can do is watch, we're still coming.
John,
Have your son read and understand the TMP materials before he gets down to the launch site. When he passes his TMP, let me "borrow" him for 20 or 30 minutes. I promise I'll give the two of you something to talk about on the trip home!
Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters Inc.

Back