Airfest XXI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cry: Scott your killing me with that video. I'm probably going to miss AirFest this year due to my finances.

I'm super stoked that I can attend this year!
I've not been to Argonia since LDRS 2003 (only a 12 yr. absence).

I'm super stoked that I can attend this year!
I've not been to Argonia since LDRS 2003 (only a 12 yr. absence).

Oh, Jim you will be so, so glad you got back. Lance and Bob B. run one of the very best launches in the country, no, well, on earth!

I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of people. Jim, as I told you today on the phone, I'm super excited to hang out with you again. I know we will all have a great time!! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Notice to anyone coming to AIRFest 21 (or any KLOUDBusters' event): You should be able to get $79 per night at either the Harper or Anthony Cobblestone Inns which isn't too bad now days. They started out with a $129 / night mandate from their corporate HQ and I refused to include them on our list for lodging.

They showed up at our launch site loaded for bear last weekend and I told them I wouldn't include them even for their current rack rate of $99. They told me at that point that if folks call you should get $79.

Also, please be aware that the Oak Tree Inn in Wellington has a brand new property across the street from the former one. It looks nice but I have no first-hand experience there. I will say there are MANY more options for meals in Wellington vs. Harper or Anthony. Wellington is maybe 5 miles further. If someone tries to book the Oak Tree, please let me know their rate.

We're always trying to improve the experience at the Rocket Pasture - any feedback about the lodging options listed would be helpful and appreciated so we can make informed recommendations to folks.

Thanks, --Lance.
KLOUDBusters President

Thanks for passing along this info, Lance. I had a reservation for the location in Anthony and just called and got my rate lowered.

Excellent! I'm glad we could help. More $$$ for AP, right? Was there any squawking on their part?

Thank you very much Lance...
No they didn't even blink...

I am so looking forward to this launch...
I get too finally meet a dozen people I have spoken to for years,,,
And I finally get to check this launch out...

How can ya beat that...

Teddy

Excellent! I'm glad we could help. More $$$ for AP, right? Was there any squawking on their part?

No issues for me either. They did recommend calling the hotel directly for reservations at the group rate instead of reserving online. They were very friendly folks.

John, we first have to dust off to allow your skilled craftsmanship to take place. I'm on av bay duties.....and trust me, there's quite a bit of dusting in that department. I think there are several colonies of spiders and maybe even a rodent that claimed squatters rights to that section of the ol'bird.

John, we first have to dust off to allow your skilled craftsmanship to take place. I'm on av bay duties.....and trust me, there's quite a bit of dusting in that department. I think there are several colonies of spiders and maybe even a rodent that claimed squatters rights to that section of the ol'bird.

Reporting for fin can duty

It's going to take more than a feather duster to dust this one off.......

We're always trying to improve the experience at the Rocket Pasture - any feedback about the lodging options listed would be helpful and appreciated so we can make informed recommendations to folks.

Thanks, --Lance.
KLOUDBusters President

I'm hoping that means that all of the hotels on the list are reasonably decent even if they lack certain amenities?

I think I'm going to try to come, but cost is a major factor. I don't mind camping but that means dragging a whole lot of gear that takes up space I would rather dedicate to rocket stuff.

Can you tell me which of the hotels you would recommend in the "limited budget" category?

I stayed at the Chisholm Trail Inn at the last fun fly I attended down there and it's super inexpensive and seemed clean. Not the nicest place but works to sleep in. It's only about 15-20 minutes away from the field too.

Thanks. We have some $40 per night places around here but several of them are the kind of places where you go home with free six-legged pets. I'd rather avoid that sort of problem too. So thank you for the heads up. I'll probably be making reservations later this week.

Thanks. We have some $40 per night places around here but several of them are the kind of places where you go home with free six-legged pets. I'd rather avoid that sort of problem too. So thank you for the heads up. I'll probably be making reservations later this week.
John,
One of the problems with listing hotels on a website is that they change over time. These are all older 1950's-70's era hotels and depending on the current ownership, they may or may not be habitable. We list these hotels, not as a recommendation, but rather to give options. Living nearby, I haven't spent a night in more than two of them and they were "OK".
With that said, the most modern hotels are the Cobblestone Inns in either Harper or Anthony. They are probably the most expensive at $79 a night. After that, you take your chances.
You might want to re-consider throwing a tent and a sleeping bag into your car. Camping on-site is free, the "free" well shower is invigorating, and the camaraderie of hanging out with several dozen rocket folks at night on the Rocket Pasture is priceless.
Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters

John,
One of the problems with listing hotels on a website is that they change over time. These are all older 1950's-70's era hotels and depending on the current ownership, they may or may not be habitable. We list these hotels, not as a recommendation, but rather to give options. Living nearby, I haven't spent a night in more than two of them and they were "OK".
With that said, the most modern hotels are the Cobblestone Inns in either Harper or Anthony. They are probably the most expensive at $79 a night. After that, you take your chances.
You might want to re-consider throwing a tent and a sleeping bag into your car. Camping on-site is free, the "free" well shower is invigorating, and the camaraderie of hanging out with several dozen rocket folks at night on the Rocket Pasture is priceless.

Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters

Thanks Bob.

I will reconsider my camping options.

Who else is camping? (I know Troj won't because he's already confessed to being too wimpy to give up his creature comforts)

John,
Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters

Wayyyy too cool..............

Teddy

Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters

Exactly. We commuted to Wichita the first year, and could tell we were missing out. The trailer was a perfect way to attend Airfest 20 last year. Well worth the gas to haul it from Goodyear. Made a bunch of new friends spending the night in the rocket pasture.

I know you have an understanding wife, but you really need to invest in a very large Shop-Vac...

Can't wait to see 'Crush' take to the air again!

She doesn't go out to my shop. It's a seperate building away from the house. I had just finished sanding and will sweep before the weekend since I'll be mixing a P motor on that table.

I just spoke to Susan Lear at the Cobblestone Hotel in Anthony. She would be HAPPY to revise any existing reservation made by anyone attending the launch to the pre-negotiated $79 rate. The hotel is 3 years old and looks to be quite habitable based on the photos. They still have adequate room inventory available for Labor Day Weekend as of today.

Thanks for passing along this info, Lance. I had a reservation for the location in Anthony and just called and got my rate lowered.

Last edited:
And she called me just after talking to you, just to verify I was a rocket man. hahahahahahaha

Got a 4" DarkStar on an M650, ready to go!!!

I just spoke to Susan Lear at the Cobblestone Hotel in Anthony. She would be HAPPY to revise any existing reservation made by anyone attending the launch to the pre-negotiated $79 rate. The hotel is 3 years old and looks to be quite habitable based on the photos. They still have adequate room inventory available for Labor Day Weekend as of today.

I didn't stay there but I did get to partake in a nice shower there. I decided to forgo the camping this year and stay there. Nice place and only 20 min. away. Free breakfast too!

I just want to advise folks who are planning on attending AIRFest 21 to go right now and check and make sure your tracking electronics are in good working order. If they aren't, you have 32 days to rectify the problem. Buy some fresh batteries.

We have gone from 3 or so years of extreme drought to the tropical monsoon zone this summer here in southern Kansas. We were out at the field yesterday, and the weeds are prolific, to say the least. While we anticipate that the crop fields will be worked and the Rocket Pasture mowed as usual; the ditches, waterways, and margins around fields will have some tall weeds.

If you have tracking electronics, plan on bringing them and using them.

Just a heads up.

On the bright side - you should be able to get some beautiful photos of our native sunflowers. :)

--Lance
KLOUDBusters

Last edited:
I stayed in the field last year for Airfest 20 in my travel trailer. It was nice to have A/C and electricity in the field, but since there is no running water in the field there was no shower for me. This year I am staying in the River Park in Argonia. That way I will have electricity, water, and sewer for just 10 bucks a night. Another reason why I am doing this is so I dont have to haul a generator and extra gas. I have my reservations for the river park. I am headed there on Wednesday and staying til Monday. Should be great.

Back