Airfest XXI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We usually stay on the south side of Wichita but the 50 min drive wears away at you. It will be nice to be closer.

I didn't stay there but I did get to partake in a nice shower there. I decided to forgo the camping this year and stay there. Nice place and only 20 min. away. Free breakfast too!

Enough shower talk about the launch. It's time to start talking about what everyone is flying!!

I know for sure there will be a 2 way drag race between my self and a certain fellow Chicago Rocket Mafia member. We are both building 5" scratch ARCAS's and will be flying on 12,500 EX white motors. The Albino vs. the Crazy Cracker!! We will see if these new thinwall tubes are up to the task of N motors!!!

Last edited:
How about a cluster of skids jussst squeaking under a P class motors :surprised:
I know of at least 4 punishers that are going to Kansas .( challenge thrown down).:cheers:

How about a cluster of skids jussst squeaking under a P class motors :surprised:
I know of at least 4 punishers that are going to Kansas .( challenge thrown down).:cheers:

I know you will make fun of my Punisher....Izzi got to pick out the paint!!ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1438696934.974404.jpg

My new standard one is "school bus'' Yallar.....just because.

Ya better bring 4 ......6-6xl's ..how bout white thunder, so we can play.:dark:

Challenge accepted.

My new "big" one is the only one that can handle a 12xl..I dare ya to bring one of those!!!!!!! :dark:

DSCN5082.jpg

Or do I have to use 2-6xl reloads with my "special" nozzle that came with my 12xl case ?

Last edited:
Careful CJ, I have not installed the Motor mount yet, hmmmmm L910 or maybe even a L3200.....

I have flown mine on the 6 grain White Thunder. Lets do some 6xl L265 Mellow Yellow (get it, "yellow")

In honor of bringing the Mega Wildman out of retirement to fly at Airfest this year, and the flight is being sponsored by CTI and Wildman Hobbies.
The Mega is flying on a central 98mm N 2600 skid
Surrounded by 6 yes I said 6 75mm 5 grain L1410 skids
For a total of 40047.1 N’s
Wildman’s is having a Cluster or drag race special.
Buy 1 reload and get 10% off
Buy 2 of the same reload and get 10% off the first and 20% off the second
Buy 3 of the same reload and get 10% off the first and 20% off the second and 30% off the third
Buy 4 of the same reload and get 10% off the first and 20% off the second and 30% off the third and 40% off the forth reload.
This is also good for the hardware to go with the reloads.
This sale end on 08/19/2015
Even if you’re not going to Airfest you can still get the deal ,you will just have to pay shipping.
Sale prices will be adjusted in house and you will be charged accordingly all you have to do is put cluster in the comments section and we will take it from there.
Don’t wait too long this sale could end at any time.
Thank You

Tim Lehr
Owner
Wildman Hobbies
815-638-3200
www.wildmanrocketry.com
[email protected]

WOW!!!

That's an awesome sale!! Bravo.

I have to get in on this before the pain meds you are on wear off.....I will assume the sale will be over when you figure out what you have done!!!!

OK, new guy here. We're thinking of making this a family outing. Haven't been to any other launch before, anywhere.

Likely Saturday only. Looks to be about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way, so not too bad.

Pretty new to the hobby, but would like to learn more. I see that you have to be a member of TRA or NAR to fly, but what about the prep work. I see pics and videos of people working on their rockets under easy-ups, etc. Is that all public access?

I've made a few posts elsewhere on the forum, but for now we're only concerned with figuring out LPR. Have a few girls that are pretty excited about it, and we're going to treat rocketry as a combination hobby / homeschool project / 4-H project. Have done some estes kits before, but just for fun... at the time, we weren't trying to get better at it, lol.

Now I've got some Quest Payloader One's from Apogee, a keychain camera, a PerfectFlite FireFly, and I'm starting to mess around with the trial version of RockSIM. I'm interested in moving up eventually, but feel I have a TON to learn in the realm of LPR first.

I'm a pyrotechnician by primary hobby and love, and at our group shoots (ex.-- www.pyromaniaevent.com) there are basically those who can be around the fireworks and those who can't. It's done by registration with the host club. You don't have to be a licensed pyrotechnician, you just have to register under the club's insurance. It's your backstage pass, per-se.

Is there some kind of access level (not to the range itself) that is required that differentiates "strictly spectators" from "not allowed to go to the range, but allowed to see how prep work, launch system, etc. works?" Something for prospective members... not sure I'm articulating that in the best manner, but hopefully it makes sense. :)

So, at any rate, recommendations for first-time event goers?

Thanks!

WOW!!!

That's an awesome sale!! Bravo.

I have to get in on this before the pain meds you are on wear off.....I will assume the sale will be over when you figure out what you have done!!!!

hahahahah..
Now that's a good one...
I did the same thing the night after my last surgery...
They shoot you all up,,,
You feel just great,, and figure,, what the heck--- let me post up.....lol...

Man is he going to be sorry he's posting..
That's just too funny...

Teddy

OK, new guy here. We're thinking of making this a family outing. Haven't been to any other launch before, anywhere.

Likely Saturday only. Looks to be about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way, so not too bad.

Pretty new to the hobby, but would like to learn more. I see that you have to be a member of TRA or NAR to fly, but what about the prep work. I see pics and videos of people working on their rockets under easy-ups, etc. Is that all public access?

etc ...

So, at any rate, recommendations for first-time event goers?

Thanks!
Donnie,

Please read the Spectator Info page on either the AIRFest specific site or the general KLOUDBusters site (https://www.kloudbusters.org). Also, there is some info on range access on the Schedule page at https://www.kloudbusters.org.

Spectators have a parking area separate from the flyers, however all of the flyer parking area is available for roaming, asking the flyers questions, watching the proceedings, etc. Most rocket prep takes place in the parking area under full view. The final prep areas where electronics are armed and igniters installed is beyond the flight line and is accessible only to registered member flyers. Limits of access are strictly member vs. non-member.

Your children can launch model rockets from the model rocket area (there will be range personnel available to help the kids), you cannot until you join the Tripoli Rocketry Association or the National Association of Rocketry. TRA membership applications are available on-site. There is no additional flyer fee beyond national organization membership for low-power only (G-and-under) flyers provided you register.

The rules are In place to provide a safe environment for spectators and flyers alike and to ensure that launch insurance terms are met. They aren't as daunting as they may seem at first. If you're a pyro guy, you understand the limits due to insurance purposes. Come on out, bring your family and be prepared for the same conditions you might encounter during a day at the lake: heat, plenty of sunshine, a few bugs (i.e. mosquitoes and/or ticks), and limited creature comforts. Bring shade, chairs, a hat for each person, water/sports drinks, sunscreen, bug spray, money for concessions, etc.

Stop at a one of the vendor tents or the registration tent and ask questions. Large rocket launches are unique events. I predict you will see things you have never seen before.

HTH, --Lance.

Donnie,

Please read the Spectator Info page on either the AIRFest specific site or the general KLOUDBusters site (https://www.kloudbusters.org). Also, there is some info on range access on the Schedule page at https://www.kloudbusters.org.

Spectators have a parking area separate from the flyers, however all of the flyer parking area is available for roaming, asking the flyers questions, watching the proceedings, etc. Most rocket prep takes place in the parking area under full view. The final prep areas where electronics are armed and igniters installed is beyond the flight line and is accessible only to registered member flyers. Limits of access are strictly member vs. non-member.

Your children can launch model rockets from the model rocket area (there will be range personnel available to help the kids), you cannot until you join the Tripoli Rocketry Association or the National Association of Rocketry. TRA membership applications are available on-site. There is no additional flyer fee beyond national organization membership for low-power only (G-and-under) flyers provided you register.

The rules are In place to provide a safe environment for spectators and flyers alike and to ensure that launch insurance terms are met. They aren't as daunting as they may seem at first. If you're a pyro guy, you understand the limits due to insurance purposes. Come on out, bring your family and be prepared for the same conditions you might encounter during a day at the lake: heat, plenty of sunshine, a few bugs (i.e. mosquitoes and/or ticks), and limited creature comforts. Bring shade, chairs, a hat for each person, water/sports drinks, sunscreen, bug spray, money for concessions, etc.

Stop at a one of the vendor tents or the registration tent and ask questions. Large rocket launches are unique events. I predict you will see things you have never seen before.

HTH, --Lance.

Thanks, Lance. I did indeed browse those areas before posting. Completely understand the need for the rules, I was just asking for clarification more than anything. I'll look at joining the NAR and/or the TRA prior, and will maybe bring out some stuff for the kiddos to launch.

Perhaps more than anything, I was looking for advice on how best to take advantage of this event to really start getting our bearings within this newly-found interest in rocketry. While I'm sure we'd enjoy sitting around watching the rockets fly, it would feel like a wasted opportunity if we didn't get to meet the flyers and learn how this stuff really works. Sounds like we'll be able to do browse to our heart's content as just spectators, so that's good. :)

Thanks again!

EDIT: is the online application and payment the only requirement to become a TRA member? That seems pretty easy, and like it'd be worthwhile to do to get the most out of this event?

Last edited:
Folks,
If you are coming to Airfest this year, by all means bring your tracker! With all the unseasonal rain the rocket pasture has experienced this summer, finding rockets without them might become an exercise in futility! The NE corner of 80th and Dixon is planted in Milo. Two weeks ago it was nipple tall and really, really dense. If your rocket lands in it without a tracker, you will need to either step on it or trip over the shock cord as you can't see your feet standing in it.
Many of the fields will be plowed under between now and the launch so they won't be bad but think a bit about your rocketry luck. Does YOUR rocket land in the bare dirt or in the tall, dense crops. Mine too! That's why I'll put a tracker in everything I'll fly at Airfest.
See you in a couple of weeks,
Bob

Back