Airfest XXI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbonerocketeer

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Who is planning to come? Any early projects? I am bringing M,N,O,P....:cool: Orange Crush is coming again-with the P-in a 72" long case.

Rumor has it that Sharon is flying her Gizmo XL DD for her L3, but I'm sworn to secrecy and can't talk about it. I will bring some old reloads and burn some APCP, not sure what in, but it will probably be black and have split fins....

Wow! Kinda early to dream about Airfest. It's certainly on my calendar if nothing else to hang out and fly some "small" rockets. Looking forward to it and meeting more of these great rocket folks.

Rumor has it that Sharon is flying her Gizmo XL DD for her L3, but I'm sworn to secrecy and can't talk about it. I will bring some old reloads and burn some APCP, not sure what in, but it will probably be black and have split fins....

Make sure to come shop for new reloads to replace those old ones :)

Wow! Kinda early to dream about Airfest. It's certainly on my calendar if nothing else to hang out and fly some "small" rockets. Looking forward to it and meeting more of these great rocket folks.

Class 3 stuff is 90 day out minimum...so I had to start early :)

I'll be there causing chaos & mayhem with something.
Probably a 3 in. 2-stager on L's, Jart & Punisher.

I will be making the trip out for the first time. Looking forward to finally flying from the "dream field". I will have a 3" two stage'r, an Ultimate DarkStar and a few other yellow and black rockets. Kinda feel like a kid, waiting for Christmas.

Wayne? Humble question...Does Sharon need a TAP? I need to TAP somebody...please...:eek:
Can only be there on Sunday but, you can blame Griffin and, Claude for this. Might have to bring my Gizmo XL on a CTI O-3400. I know not the most exciting use of a motor like that but, hey it's AIRFEST and, it's about flying with friends.

52'' rocket on a 49'' O-Motor? Nah, never seen anything like that before! :lol:

Wayne? Humble question...Does Sharon need a TAP? I need to TAP somebody...please...:eek:
Can only be there on Sunday but, you can blame Griffin and, Claude for this. Might have to bring my Gizmo XL on a CTI O-3400. I know not the most exciting use of a motor like that but, hey it's AIRFEST and, it's about flying with friends.

52'' rocket on a 49'' O-Motor? Nah, never seen anything like that before! :lol:

Tim Lehr and Roy Polmanteer are my TAPs. Tim wants a bar napkin with the electronics drawn on it and Roy wants 13 bar napkins with my entire build written in large block letters....I guess they are trying to avoid a repeat of Wayne's 116 page manifesto from last year. :eyeroll:

It is kind of you to offer.

Planning to go!

Appetizer: TBD

Main course will be my trusty Ultimate Wildman on a CTI O-3400.

Dessert will be helping Gus with his Gizmo

Should be fun!

We had our last launch of the season here in AZ. last weekend. So Airfest will be our next launch. Yep, I'm getting excited now! Starting my Ultimate DS build next week, and I have a list of "To Do's" for the trailer. Just wondering how I'm gonna fit an Ultimate DS AND a Gizmo XL dual deploy in with all the other rockets we want to bring....

Tim Lehr and Roy Polmanteer are my TAPs. Tim wants a bar napkin with the electronics drawn on it and Roy wants 13 bar napkins with my entire build written in large block letters....I guess they are trying to avoid a repeat of Wayne's 116 page manifesto from last year. :eyeroll:

Well, there's some serious clout between *both* those names!:D (At least Roy...);) I'll still be there, just in case Tim gets locked in his trailer or someone falls into a large gopher hole in the wheat.

I'm just so glad that we have some other members of the Chicago Rocket Mafia coming this year, besides the regulars that i really do have to make it out there! :eek:

You know the drill Sharon: It's just another flight, go out there and, be calm and, make it work and, everything will go well!
I hope to see it from a far...:eek:

Good Luck!

Tim wants a bar napkin with the electronics drawn on it and Roy wants 13 bar napkins with my entire build written in large block letters....

See that right there, tells ya you're dealing with a couple of gill-hooligan-gypsy-rocket-wandering types, a bit lacking in the nuances of "Tapptizing".
All I want is a bar napkin with a DRINK on it!
Skip the large block letters...replace with block ice.

Regarding "the" L-3 flight, [I purposely did not use "attempt"] I firmly believe some type of "libation" should be included as a payload for celebratory purposes post flight!
Therefore I am proclaiming the following: "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

Boy are you in for it girly......girl! :grin:

See that right there, tells ya you're dealing with a couple of gill-hooligan-gypsy-rocket-wandering types, a bit lacking in the nuances of "Tapptizing".
All I want is a bar napkin with a DRINK on it!
Skip the large block letters...replace with block ice.

Regarding "the" L-3 flight, [I purposely did not use "attempt"] I firmly believe some type of "libation" should be included as a payload for celebratory purposes post flight!
Therefore I am proclaiming the following: "FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

Boy are you in for it girly......girl! :grin:

I think you just gave me an idea for nose weight.......:D

Speak for yourself! I start thinking about next year's Airfest when driving home from Airfest :)

You are right Chuck. Always start thinking of next year as I drive home. Will be there as always and am currently plotting what I will fly. Heck, my van has made the trip down I-35 so many times, it will drive itself down over the Labor Day Weekend, even if I didn't go. May as well tag along and say hi to Bob, Lance and the rest…..ALWAYS a great launch!!!! ….. Andy

I'll be attending this year for the first time. Chris Short convinced/strong armed me into going. ;)

I plan to have my Mariah 54 there for it's maiden flight(s) as well as a Polecat Wocket that is near completion now. I'm thinking a J430 for the Mariah's maiden flight followed by a K1440 if all goes well. The Wocket will fly in a J244...I know it's made for the J90 but I've seen too many videos of them not performing well on those motors, especially if there's any appreciable wind.

There's a very tiny possibility that I'll have my L3 project (10" Thumper) ready by that time...but don't bet any money on it.

Oooh! You're gonna have to let me know when you're gonna fly it!
I wanna be able to see it!!! :cool:
(Hopefully I won't be in transit to KS...)
-Joyce

The Wocket will fly in a J244...I know it's made for the J90 but I've seen too many videos of them not performing well on those motors, especially if there's any appreciable wind.

I would never fly a Woket on a J90 at Argonia. Come on, they define calm as 10mph wind. That thing turns into the wind like there is no tomorrow. The J315R is a cool flight for it. Just keep one thing in mind, you need to reduce the amount of BP to the bare minimum. The volume you are pressurizing is tiny and a stock 54mm charge will blow that mount out of there and if it does not break the shock cord, it will tear the mount out. I only figured out how to drill the delay on a J90 right once out of about five times. I decided it was silly trying to get a consistent delay of less than four seconds and put a timer in the tip and use a break wire to start it. I use 1/2G of BP to deploy the parachute.

Oooh! You're gonna have to let me know when you're gonna fly it!
I wanna be able to see it!!! :cool:
(Hopefully I won't be in transit to KS...)
-Joyce

My plan is to launch it as soon as practical after the range opens Friday am, always dependent on weather of course.

My plan is to launch it as soon as practical after the range opens Friday am, always dependent on weather of course.

I am hopefully going to get out of working Friday otherwise I will be driving down After I get off at midnight ! If I do end up working ad you fly Friday I wish you the best of luck ! Looking forward to seeing you all ! Jim Scott

I would never fly a Woket on a J90 at Argonia. Come on, they define calm as 10mph wind. That thing turns into the wind like there is no tomorrow. The J315R is a cool flight for it. Just keep one thing in mind, you need to reduce the amount of BP to the bare minimum. The volume you are pressurizing is tiny and a stock 54mm charge will blow that mount out of there and if it does not break the shock cord, it will tear the mount out. I only figured out how to drill the delay on a J90 right once out of about five times. I decided it was silly trying to get a consistent delay of less than four seconds and put a timer in the tip and use a break wire to start it. I use 1/2G of BP to deploy the parachute.

You and I are almost on the same wavelength with regards to the black powder. I was thinking 3/8G of BP so it's good to know I'm on the right track. As to the delay, that's one big reason I chose the J244. It has a 3.6 second burn and a 4 - 14 second delay. The trick, as you noted, is going to be getting it drilled right.

FANTASTIC NEWS - Ron and Richard and I will be coming down from the great North....Can't wait....Andy

FOUR members of the Chicago Rocket Mafia are already registered as of today...REPRESENT!:eek:

Gizmo XL, flying on a CTI. (of course) O-3400. All out the top ejection on a tether.

Back