Airfest XXI

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,
Have your son read and understand the TMP materials before he gets down to the launch site. When he passes his TMP, let me "borrow" him for 20 or 30 minutes. I promise I'll give the two of you something to talk about on the trip home!
Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters Inc.

Since I am an NAR guy, do you have a link to the TMP materials?

Exactly, half the fun is watching others show off their craftsmanship and technical capabilities. The other half of the fun is realizing you get to experience hundreds of launches burning thousands of dollars for free.

Bring what you have and join the party.

OK, My son and I are registered and the hotel reservations have been made. I still don't know if everything will be ready in time, but even if they aren't we're coming even if all we can do is watch, we're still coming.

John,
Have your son read and understand the TMP materials before he gets down to the launch site. When he passes his TMP, let me "borrow" him for 20 or 30 minutes. I promise I'll give the two of you something to talk about on the trip home!
Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters Inc.

Bob has taken my aside a few times and I've never been the same since...
It's an experience that never goes away...

Registered last night. Went ahead and registered as a flyer, though obviously I won't be flying as I've never even SEEN anything other than LPR in-person (Level 0 TRA member, lol). Mainly registered so that I can get a little more access to watch the entire process.

Kiddos might bring some model rockets to launch.

We'll only be there on Saturday. Hang out for the day, then catch the burger blast before driving back home.

Can't wait! :)

Will there be any central place to coordinate radio frequencies?

Will there be any central place to coordinate radio frequencies?

The short answer is "No"!

It's been our experience it NEVER works! Guys forget to write their frequencies on the board or change them and don't update the information. In short, it's not worth the effort!
With that said, if you brought a tracking system, you have everything you need to determine a frequency is clear before you activate your tracker! Listen for a bit before you turn in your transmitter and it becomes pretty obvious if that frequency is useable.
Bob Brown

The short answer is "No"!

It's been our experience it NEVER works! Guys forget to write their frequencies on the board or change them and don't update the information. In short, it's not worth the effort!
With that said, if you brought a tracking system, you have everything you need to determine a frequency is clear before you activate your tracker! Listen for a bit before you turn in your transmitter and it becomes pretty obvious if that frequency is useable.
Bob Brown

This is the absolute best practice anywhere.

I always listen on a frequency first. I just wanted to know if I was supposed to register it anywhere. Thanks for the clarification.

Nothing to listen to with the Eggfinder GPS. Hopefully, no one will be using my frequency. If they are, I will know where to find them....:dark:

You can check the eggfinder frequency, in fact the instructions specifically tell you to. You turn on the receiver first and look for the blinking light that indicates a signal before turning on the transmitter.

You can check the eggfinder frequency, in fact the instructions specifically tell you to. You turn on the receiver first and look for the blinking light that indicates a signal before turning on the transmitter.

I was just trying to be funny, might be a little early for that. I know about the check, but what does the blinking light sound like?

I have 4 Com-Spec transmitters so if anyone happens to be on my channel, I can switch frequencies. I put a tracker on everything, having 4 allows me to prep without the need to recover, etc.

I always listen on a frequency first.

Sorry must have been to early in the morning for my sense of humor to have started working. I should have realized you would know that...

I was just trying to be funny, might be a little early for that. I know about the check, but what does the blinking light sound like?

If you're into making your own propellant, I hope to have received a fresh supply of 400um AP in time to bring some with me. I don't have any idea what quantities I'll have time to package up, so if there's something specific you want, send me an email with your quantity for pricing. Right now I've got 50lbs and 11lbs packaged. It's very high quality rotary round 400. You'd be very hard pressed to find any as good as this in the EX world. 98.5% is >297um. No fines. Nothing smaller than 212um.

https://www.lokiresearch.com/images/2015/LR_400APx10_1.jpg
https://www.lokiresearch.com/images/2015/LR_400APx60_2.jpg
https://www.lokiresearch.com/images/2015/LR_400APx120_2.jpg

I might also bring some 90um. It seems most people have a good supply of 200 though so I doubt I'll bring any.

I've got the Arizona teams N-4500 cast and cut up. It's 7,249.8g of Loki Blue in a 40" long 98mm case.

Anyone interested in some larger sized mag? It's -150um+44um (100 down to 325 mesh), all spherical. $18/lb
Let me know, otherwise it'll stay at home.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1440546643.262293.jpg

Paint on the repaired booster section for orange crush....oh and my class 3 waiver is signed and fully approved. The P motor is going to happen. Planning to fly it first thing Saturday morning. Here is a teaser in the O motor..[video=youtube;M_4OmuIOL_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4OmuIOL_E[/video]

This is projected to go 27k on the P, is 187lb on the pad and 120lb at motor burnout.

Chris,,
That was just sick...
That was the most intense rocket point of view vid I have ever seen,, bar none...
And that was Orange Crush on an "O"...
And in a week the same rocket is going up on a "P".....

OKKKKK...

I cain't wait for this launch.......

Teddy

Yesterday I realized that I'll be leaving for Airfest in one week and I couldn't get to sleep last night till 4am thinking about it!
Cant wait to see all the M's, N's, O's, and P's.

View attachment 270735

Paint on the repaired booster section for orange crush....oh and my class 3 waiver is signed and fully approved. The P motor is going to happen. Planning to fly it first thing Saturday morning. Here is a teaser in the O motor..[video=youtube;M_4OmuIOL_E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4OmuIOL_E[/video]

This is projected to go 27k on the P, is 187lb on the pad and 120lb at motor burnout.

Sadly I missed this flight as we were out recovering a rocket; trying to get it out of a tree to be precise lol. Hopefully I'll get to see the P flight.

Sadly I missed this flight as we were out recovering a rocket; trying to get it out of a tree to be precise lol. Hopefully I'll get to see the P flight.

Chuck,
You landed in a tree at Argonia? Seriously? Wow! That's really bad luck!
Bob

Yesterday I realized that I'll be leaving for Airfest in one week and I couldn't get to sleep last night till 4am thinking about it!

I thought it was only me,,, lol...
I'm really excited for this one...
I hope to make a personal best altitude as well...
I'd also like to try to get some really cool pics too...
But that aught ta be pretty easy,,, lol...

Teddy

Chuck,
You landed in a tree at Argonia? Seriously? Wow! That's really bad luck!
Bob

Well the bad luck started when I dumped my main at over 28,000 feet lol. I managed to find the grove of trees southwest of Argonia Road and K-44. Here's the kicker; had the thing drifted about 20 more feet it would have overflown the trees and landed in the field.

P1020799.jpg

Looking forward to seeing everybody!

I thought it was only me,,, lol...
I'm really excited for this one...
I hope to make a personal best altitude as well...
I'd also like to try to get some really cool pics too...
But that aught ta be pretty easy,,, lol...

Teddy

I'm with this crowd, all week long I've been laying awake thinking about my first 98mm "M" motor, Sharon's doing the same for her L3, the Mongoose 75 going over 25k for my highest flight ever, the list goes on and on, finishing with "Grosser", our seventeen year old truck towing a 10,000 lb. trailer for 2000 miles round trip. Even with herbal sleep aid, I can't get more than 4 hours a night. Sure will be fun though, I will probably sleep great while I'm there, exhaustion does that to you...

meat 004.jpgmeat 003.jpgJackie has been preparing for Friday night at the rocket pasture for us and a few friends :wink:
I think each one of these is about 8 lbs and she is making like 7 of them.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Back