...is he gone for good....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...do we stone him before or after? :duck:

Depends if you (and he) are in Washington, Colorado, or Alaska (Oregon doesn't go into effect until 7/1/15).

(Do not read this as an endorsement for the use of any kind of intoxicant (legal or otherwise))

Click this and toubles go down the drain....you won't be bothered with ANY adds and you can monitor or allow certain ones if you desire.

Problem solved, I 've been using for couple years, notice it's a dot org. freebee.

https://adblockplus.org/

I like TB, but I'm glad he was given a week off. Hopefully he'll use the time to reflect that there are many people that have different political views to him. His occasional climate change/green left threads that "he just wants to discuss without being political" and so on make it no surprise that he got himself a rest by being obnoxious about adverts for the wrong team (in his view). He wasn't just complaining about political ads, he was complaining because they were for someone he doesn't like. Make no mistake, TB earned this break. I'll be happy to see him back.

Besides missing TB, I want to add my plea for the administrators to consider a different ad service. Ad Choices is incredibly, I mean abysmally, dumb about what it shows me. A majority of the time it banners up sites that I have either just visited or bought something from, even within the last 5 minutes. Very few present something new-but-related, which is a vastly better ad strategy. I am not at all surprised that someone could get dished up a sequence of ads that would together be viewed as highly irritating. I could write better ad serving code in 3 days.

...guys....

I read it as it was ongoing. I have no comment other than this election there isn't a lesser evil to choose....

I am no expert in this latest round of drama but I am thoroughly disappointed with the current state of affairs. I count ThirstyBarbarian as one of the most entertaining contributors here, a fine rocketeer, and even a friend. This continued conversation feels like a dancing on the grave, especially given the continued political commentary to the opposite sway. If nothing else, remember that we are in California here! We do and feel a little different than most of the country, and it is not all bad. Balance is important, even when you do not agree with the specifics.

He was protesting political ads that show up. He was posting the text of them, as a way to demonstrate the hypocrisy in having no politics rules enforced for member speech, yet the forum admin(s) push politics at us (albeit randomly) in ads.

Personally I respect his action, which was basically the TRF equivalent of civil disobedience.

His "Turd Cruz" thread in the feedback section was a risky gambit meant to garner attention and foster change. Instead he got reportedly two infraction points.

Then he continued by posting in a watering hole thread the text of the ads he was seeing and apparently got banned.

I don't know if there was more to it than that. I may not have all the facts.

I feel the Admin could have stepped in and simply stated that they choose not to censor the ads, or that their ad tools don't provide for censoring politics out of them. But the Admin has been relatively non responsive lately, or at least that's how it seems to me.

Best wishes Thirsty, wherever you are.

Marc
+1

Just posted the text of the ads! What a crock; when they make money from them.
Ain't right!!

Mike

I am no expert in this latest round of drama but I am thoroughly disappointed with the current state of affairs. I count ThirstyBarbarian as one of the most entertaining contributors here, a fine rocketeer, and even a friend. This continued conversation feels like a dancing on the grave, especially given the continued political commentary to the opposite sway. If nothing else, remember that we are in California here! We do and feel a little different than most of the country, and it is not all bad. Balance is important, even when you do not agree with the specifics.

...I prefer to think he's on Sabbatical....to atone for his sins....or is that too religious?....or political?.....or...

Speaking of... When is Jerry coming back?!?
He is sorely missed here on this forum.
Jerry for President... Of the Policeman's Benevolent Ass. of Baltimore...
Jerry is a great driver!

Banned!!!

...I prefer to think he's on Sabbatical....to atone for his sins....or is that too religious?....or political?.....or...

Glad to see this response, feels like the episode is starting to chill out. I definitely like to think of this as a place where we can all get along.

Glad to see this response, feels like the episode is starting to chill out. I definitely like to think of this as a place where we can all get along.

Ummmmmm, stick with rockets and flying thereof and I don't think there will be any issues. Wanna espouse a political agenda or threat, go to a site or blog where it's more tolerated. Go "too far" and one runs the risk of irking an administrator. Problem is, is
one doesn't know how far is "too far"? Ads? If they bug you, do one of two things. Either support the site financially and the ads go away or do what Jim Hendricksen suggests and use an add-on program that will kill them. As far as I know, it costs $$$ to host this site and the ads offset the cost. Kurt

+1

Just posted the text of the ads! What a crock; when they make money from them.
Ain't right!!

Mike

He did more that that; I read the post in question. Love Ted Cruz or hate him; TB crossed the line with his comments.

Besides missing TB, I want to add my plea for the administrators to consider a different ad service. Ad Choices is incredibly, I mean abysmally, dumb about what it shows me. A majority of the time it banners up sites that I have either just visited or bought something from, even within the last 5 minutes. Very few present something new-but-related, which is a vastly better ad strategy. I am not at all surprised that someone could get dished up a sequence of ads that would together be viewed as highly irritating. I could write better ad serving code in 3 days.

I second this plea. I think I saw CWBullet state that Ads were based on the user browsing history. I'm not a gun guy and have never looked at any weapon information online. All it took was the start of the Guns and Rockets thread in the watering hole - which I have never read - and I suddenly had a stream of Concealed Carry adverts. It would seem that Ad software is either incredibly sensitive by detecting a thread title on the Watering Hole page or their software posts ads to me based on general (not user-specific) activity. The latter is analagous mass marketing and not the targeted ad placement that is intended.

I suppose the benefit that we haven't discussed is that the ads do not substantially impede use of this forum. I get no click-throughs or "watch this video to continue" ad nonsense, and for that I am grateful.

There is an organization on the web called the Keyword Liberation Front. Their mission is to overwhelm the NSA by randomly including certain keywords in all of their emails, texts, tweets, Facebook statuses, etc.

Don't for a minute think that No Such Agency isn't monitoring all forums that discuss guns, rockets, and the like.

This forum didn't even give TB a chance to say thanks for all the fish.

The Universe will remember that...

This forum didn't even give TB a chance to say thanks for all the fish.

The Universe will remember that...
Well, if he's truly made like the dolphins, then he's simply waiting for the rest of us at Milliways...

I think Thirsty is more of a Big Bang Burger Bar kind of hoopy frood.

I can see that, but I thought maybe as a Californian, he might be looking for talking cauliflower or something...

I am willing to bet that someone, somewhere, started this forum on their own. To express, and share their knowledge of rocketry. To invite people that knows more than them to contribute, for many more people that want to learn more to join and learn. At which point did it become a non-profit organization? Of a group of people from around the world to share their rocket knowledge? The first post of someone wanting to vent about SOMETHING? And it went from there? A book of rules? Then it becomes a set of rules? Then becomes a neccessary punishment for breaking those rules?
Isn't that up to each individual to decide rather to post upon that statement as they see fit as a FREE FORUM?
Everyone has an opinion, and that is the just of things. The way it will always be. Sticks, stones, speers, etc. People have been fighting over one thing or another since there have been people. It's part of our society.
At which point in time did Advertisements become neccessary to keep this forum alive? And why, or whom made that choice?
Your adds that is seen on this forum is based on you own browsing history. This I know to be true through my own experience.
If you have a young one using the same computer system as you to view this forum, delete your browsing history and cookies before logging off.
This is each individuals responsability.
Personally, I see no reason that a self contained forum like this needs adds unless someone has gone through business college and has discovered that they can get rich quick through it, that would even take part in it, or have anything to do with it. And probably has nothing to do with rocketry.
And as an Admin has stated, he is not making any money off this site as an Admin.
Then whom is?
We, the rocketeers, need to own, Police, and administrate punishment as a group. No ONE person should be able to nay say he is banned. Afterall, we are all human and Earhlings. A bad day for someone being an Admin, could also be a bad day for a poster. We vent. This we know to be true in all of us. I am more guilty of this than many others on here.
I do not pay for Dish or Cable TV. Why? I refuse to pay for advertising. If I want something, I will go looking for it on the Internet.
I use Netflex and other more less expensive ways of wathing TV.
I would rather pay $10 a year to pay the fees and the Admins for their contributions than for unwantted adds.
The reasons for adds is simple, someone gets paid.
Is it us? NO, but someone does.
Is it the people whom keep this forum alive?
Possibly, but from this thread if they don't like the feedback given from a highly respected and liked member from their add.
Is that something as a rocket community we will accept?
What choice do we have once a corperation has their hand in things. Leave?
Then where do we go?
Someone starts another forum, builds it up on his or hers own money, becomes highly reliable and visited.
Then what? A corperation decides they can make money off it due to adds and buys the individual out?
With an absolute un-refusable offer?
We are We.
Each is Each.
Corperation Domination doesn't have to take place if we all pull together and resist.
I love, and admire many individuals here on the forum for the inlightenment they give me to many future possibillities, even though I'm not financially able to move on them. But I'd rather not see ANY ADDS at all.
This forum can be run by the same Admins that say they receive nothing for doing so just as easy without adds.
Only rockety related adds should be allowed, since the rules pertain only to that.
If other adds are allowed pertaining to non-rocketry related items, then the forum is breaking it's own rules and they do so volentarely for profit.
This IS a non-profit forum for the benefit of all around the world for rocketry purposes.
When you come here, you are here because you are interested in rocketry, not your browsing history.
This forum was started on a bases of trust and unity, and has turned into a corperate nightmare of adds and fascism.
All due to the greed of making a profit from each of us interested in talking about, learning about, sharing our knowledge of rocketry.
And that is just WRONG!
Thirsty is a wonderful person, and in no way has deserved any punishment for commenting on such adds published by this forum for his browsing history!
Those that thinks so, is profiteering, and needs to be tared and feathered and put to same in the their town square.
If the corperation that makes money off the adds that each individual's browsing history is based upon, but is yet subject to harsh circumstances for those adds and the comment there of, is a proof that the reliablity of the owners of this forum is just as corrupt as our government. The US government.
Put this forum back into the hands of us all, not a corrupted corperations rule that demands adds and the staisfaction for those adds based upon browsing history of non-rocket related browsing history!

@Woody:

The forum used to be run by and for rocketeers, but it changed ownership in 2014 and is now owned by a guy I think called Austin (who is the Admin) who runs it as part of a for-profit business. He takes money to keep it going and generate profit. If it doesn't generate profit, he will sell it to someone else or shut it down. It's a business. That's why there are ads now.

Marc

This IS a non-profit forum for the benefit of all around the world for rocketry purposes.

WAS. It grew large enough to catch attention of someone that wanted to buy it. I'm guessing a profit was made by the seller. A profit is also being made by the new owners.

Woody, do you go to your job every day and do so without ever getting a paycheck? You seem to be very against anybody making a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back