Chick-Fil-Argent

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided to paint my Argent with a cow design for no real reason. I just didn't want to go with the painting instructions and wanted to do something different. I've never done this before, or even read about it being done, but thought I could do an okay job.

My first step was to find the widest painter's tape I could and tape a few strips down to my cutting mat. If you embiggen the first picture you might be able to see the shapes cut with my hobby knife. I just did random cow spot shapes the best I could, I didn't follow a plan.

CFArgent 01.jpg

A straight cut across the tape in between each and I could pull up one mask at a time and put it on the rocket.

CFArgent 02.jpg

I only cut out about 16 to start and that was enough to do about half of the lower section of the rocket. It seemed like I should go ahead and paint what I'd done and finish in stages rather than leave the tape on too long. Here's the rocket with the shapes only.

CFArgent 03.jpg

After that I had a tough job of masking off all the other white areas. This turned out to be a much bigger pain in the butt than I'd thought it would be when masking around the fins. I don't think the body tube will be nearly as rough.

CFArgent 04.jpg

I burnished all the edges and then sprayed each spot with a coat of white to try and seal up the tape and avoid black getting under. It mostly worked. I didn't get a picture of just the white, but here's one of the spots painted black.

CFArgent 05.jpg

I'd planned on doing two coats of black but it went on really thick so only one was necessary.

The mask came off with not much trouble and there were only two areas where the black paint got under, so I'll go over those with white when I'm all done.

CFArgent 06.jpg

I'll finish the rest of the spots tonight and tomorrow. What do you think so far?

Mushtang, Looks like this build is going to be the cream of the crop!

(You know we're going to milk these cheesy jokes until the cows come home :wink:)

Last night I masked and painted the rest of the spots on the lower body. I think one more round of spots should cover the nose section, seen spotless laying on the table.

CFArgent 07.jpg

Back