Launchpad Distance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunker78

Reaction score
What is typical distance from launchpad to launch controller for mid to high power rockets? I'm trying to figure out how much wire I need. I know most use 12 volts to launch the rockets and everyone uses from car batteries to small 11.5 RC batteries. What's the best route?

If you are reading Kevin's links, you'll note that there is no one safe distance. It varies by motor impulse, rocket complexity, and propellant type. That's why at a club launch, the level three rockets are launching from way down the field, and the LPR/MPR is a lot closer to the LCO.

Last edited:
If you have a field you can launch HPR rockets on that has the safe distances and the site dimensions with a waiver over about 5K ft. you probably need to start a club at that site! Especially if you're on the east coast. Good HPR launch sites are hard to come by, especially in the summer time.

The Aerotech launch controller (it has a name but I forget it) came with, I believe, 40 ft. of wire. That falls right in line with mid-power safe distance according to TRA so I would wager that's a pretty good way to go. I also use a small lead-acid battery. Sure, it's really dense and heavy but it does the job and is portable.

Back