Why Don't They Want Us Going Supersonic???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
Aerotech used to make F72 and G55 24mm Single Use Motors.
These would, according to my sims, make 24mm MD supersonic flights easily achievable by folks like me that are not L1 given the right rocket.
Now, it is quite difficult to achieve that kind of performance given the selection of non L1 motors available.

What gives???:confused:

Does anyone in the know think it is realistic to hope that Aerotech would someday again produce a motor like that?

Just didn't sell enough to warrant making them anymore.

Most products are kept only if sales driven.

Well, it seems that nowadays there would be a demand for them, as I look around the forum and see lots of smaller minimum diameter stuff.
I'll send an E-mail to Aerotech. Maybe others will too, and the cumulative effect will be a 24mm mach 1 capable motor.

Pro24 has many 24 mm reloads that already will do this.

Maybe we could convince CTI to make a Pro24 3G 77F77-14A Blue Streak reload. That would be the Ultimate F.

Bob

Maybe we could convince CTI to make a Pro24 3G 77F77-14A Blue Streak reload. That would be the Ultimate F.

Bob

I want single use motors, so that if I never see the rocket again, I don't have to lose an expensive, (to me anyway) case.

a pro24 3 grain 'case' runs about $20...or about what an su motor runs :).
Rex

got the price from Wildman rocketry. note the price does not include shipping, that bumps the price up a good bit...I would suggest getting a few more things to spread the shipping out:).
Rex

not that I've seen, for CTI the real cost is in the reload, the hardware is 'cheap'.
Rex

got the price from Wildman rocketry. note the price does not include shipping, that bumps the price up a good bit...I would suggest getting a few more things to spread the shipping out:).
Rex

Yeah, and the closure.

I see that Performance Hobbies carries single use Ellis Mountain stuff, so I'll check those out instead.

Oh, that is not too shabby at all! I have some short 54mm cases, where the closure did cost as much.

I wish the 24mm and 29mm reloads had the closure built in like 38mm ones do.

Yeah, and the closure.

I see that Performance Hobbies carries single use Ellis Mountain stuff, so I'll check those out instead.
I doubt it, and even if they did I'm not sure they're still certified. Ellis Mountain has been OOB for about a decade after Ellis died in an aircraft accident.

You originally asked the question "Why Don't They Want Us Going Supersonic???"

I believe I answered you question. There are several Pro24 model rocket motors with the potential of more to come, and likely all of the Pro24 F and G high power motors that will take a lightweight MD 24 mm rocket supersonic. The single use F72 and G55 motors were nonstandard SU lengths and in the time when folks commonly used motor blocks, would not fit in a lot of existing rockets. Rocket Vision commissioned these motors for their high performance 24 mm rockets but the their market was limited and the motor volume was not there to support production. Reloads allow for economic production of this type of motor as there is an established market for both the casings, and the propellant grains, which can be used in many different casings.

So if you want to exceed Mach 1 with a 24 mm MD rocket, you can, but not with an unobtainable SU motor.

Bob

Bob

I'd love an IMax in that size as well

Rocket Vision commissioned these motors for their high performance 24 mm rockets but the their market was limited and the motor volume was not there to support production.

Bob

The AeroTech F32/F72 and G55 motors came out before Rocket Vision.

The F72 was just a F32 motor with Blue Thunder propellant substituted for White Lightning. The goal was to get a full 80 n-sec motor in 24mm diameter.

The G55 and G110 were again similar motors with one having White Lightning propellant and the other using Blue Thunder. Not possible to get 160 N-sec
with 62.5g of propellant. Had to settle for around 120 n-sec.

Of course, there were differences in nozzles.

Sales were low so the motors were discontinued.

That G110 would make a great Mach-buster motor today. :wink:

Performance Hobbies has an Ellis Mountain SU G37, but only with a 6 second delay, and the rocket that I would be using it in would need the 10 to safely deploy the streamer.
I would'nt be flying at a sanctioned event anyhow, so whether it is currently certified or not matters little to me.
I'll likely just hold off on this project for now and wait til' I can afford to get into the 3G Pro24 case.

Thanks for all the responses and info.:)

Wait. 6XL 24mm? Hmm... That's gotta be getting close to small H territory.... That'd be AWESOME!

Later!

--Coop

Wait. 6XL 24mm? Hmm... That's gotta be getting close to small H territory.... That'd be AWESOME!

Later!

--Coop

I don't think they make any 24mm 6xl's just yet....

- but I can tell you a slightly customized standard size 24mm Estes Goblin with a hollowed out nose cone, and TTW ply fins... will go supersonic and 3/4 of a mile high (if the fins stay on) on most of the CTI 24mm 6-grain G motors. The streamer gets wrapped around the motor case for recovery.

Seven of the eight 6-grain 24mm motors require L1.

I don't think they make any 24mm 6xl's just yet....

- but I can tell you a slightly customized standard size 24mm Estes Goblin with a hollowed out nose cone, and TTW ply fins... will go supersonic and 3/4 of a mile high (if the fins stay on) on most of the CTI 24mm 6-grain G motors. The streamer gets wrapped around the motor case for recovery.

Seven of the eight 6-grain 24mm motors require L1.

Very cool on the G-powered Goblin--and yes, I am aware there's no reloads--yet-- for the 4, 5, or and 6XL grain cases listed on the site... just was thinking out loud, considering that some of the G's are near the upper end of the impulse range as they are, so a 24mm H doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

How well they'd sell... I don't know. I'd get a few, because I'd get a bunch of giggles stepping down a 38mm MMT to a 24mm motor.

Later!

--Coop

I still miss the F 101's!
I still have a about a half dozen G 55's from the Rocker Vision liquidation sale on ROL.

JD

Back