Rocketry Warehouse filament wound nosecones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iter

HPR Glider Driver
Reaction score
Do these come with couplers and bulk plates to close the bottom? Or do I need to buy them separate?

Also, what's the typical way to attach retention to the NC? Does the metal screw-on tip offer an attachment point? I know a lot of people put trackers or altimeters in these nose cones, which means they can't glue the bottom bulk plate in.

Ari.

If you just buy the cone ala'cart....it comes with a coupler only.
You can remove the tip and replace the bolt with an eyebolt , tip is threaded for 1/4- 20 thread [standard stuff]....pic is worth 1000 words.....

See these 2 links.....one for putting threaded rod in NC for tracker bay. Click on th "glue less NC" Post # 100 & # 105.

Other for making an av-bay in the NC coupler.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-quot-Stock-quot-3IN-DARKSTAR-CJ-Step-By-Step

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?120615-CJ-s-quot-PUNISHER-quot-build!

Scroll through posts there are several on making the av-bay. Pg 1 & pg 6 show how. This cone is not a spiral wound but the ti is threaded and to make a bay would be the same.

Another spiral wound cone converted to av-bay. Start on last post of pg3 and first several on pg 4.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...o-V-2-new-4in-Dual-Deploy-kit-continues/page3

Last edited:
Wow Jim, you just blew my mind! I was thinking cable cutter, but you're saying I can simply treat the NC as a payload section and pack a main in there.

Mind blown. Thank you for this insight.

Ari.

Just be sure to read specs on coupler length that comes with cone. You may need to ask for one an inch or 2 longer to compensate for the vent band needed to make this work, or long enough to hold what ever you are putting inside.

They will gladly meet your needs. I fit easily a 52 in. chute in the 3in. rocket & a 60 in the 4 in. [topflights]

So the nosecone arrived today. I got a 7" coupler, which is shorter than I expected, but this seems largely irrelevant. The coupler goes only 1.75" inside the nosecone. If I use a matching AV bay bulkhead, the coupler goes in only 1.5".

I wonder if that would be enough to hold the nosecone on straight.

Ari.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430614244.267928.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430614262.223169.jpg

When you insert the coupler into nose to mark for the vent band location, don't forget to slide a bulkhead or avbay lid on top first for proper spacing.

Centering Rings I can't do easily, but I do well on bulkheads . If you have access to a drill press or drill and vise along with a rotary tool for roughing in you can pop them out fairly quick.

Kenny

Man I love that new RW bright-colored fiberglass. Beats a black rocket any day.

Got an orange 54mm NC for a second WMJr kit I got cheap second hand. I really like the coupler and can simply drill and tap for 2-56 screws so the NC can carry a nosecone tracker and be easily opened or "buttoned-up" Pricey but very, very nice.
Gotta remember to add a coupler bulkhead in the future for repeat ordering. I didn't need a bulkhead for the 38mm NC I got for a payload bay. Kurt

Back