WM 2.6" V2 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyrocket

Reaction score
I bought the Wildman V2 rocket at Red Glare. I have finished building the rocket and was wondering how much nose weight (if any) people are adding to the rocket. I have simmed the rocket and I am getting the CP to be at the front of the fins. Based on the sim, I would need to add about 4 oz of nose weight IF my CP location is correct. Can anyone confirm the CP location? Thanks for you help!

Hello
I talked to a guy at a launch on Sat. about his WM 2.6" V2. I think he said he added 3ozs of nose weight.

I bought the Wildman V2 rocket at Red Glare. I have finished building the rocket and was wondering how much nose weight (if any) people are adding to the rocket. I have simmed the rocket and I am getting the CP to be at the front of the fins. Based on the sim, I would need to add about 4 oz of nose weight IF my CP location is correct. Can anyone confirm the CP location? Thanks for you help!

I just finished building mine also, my Rocksim file puts the CP 2mm in front of the fins. I added 5.5 oz of nose weight to mine to give me just over 1Cal if I want to fly a 3 grain G. I may have gone a bit heavy on the external and internal filets.

OK. Thanks for the replies. Looks like my sim is consistent with other sims. I just need to determine what I'm going to fly this on and then put in the appropriate amount of nose weight.

Rocksim put my CP further fwd using Barrowman calcs than it did using RockSim Calcs. I checked other V-2s on RocketReviews and they agreed with the latter.

does anyone have an open rocket file for the wildman 2.6" V2 that is reliable?

Thanks! that link works, right click and "save link as" it is a rkt file but this one works in open rocket. any idea where the actual CP is on this? or can you tell me where it is in rocksim? open rocket has it in front of the CG.

Based on my sim and other information on the forum, CP should be right around the top of the fins. I was hoping not to have to add nose weight, but looks like I will need to add a little bit (a couple of ounces).

What is that link? It looks like a bunch of program code?

It's displaying the guts of the rkt file (which is just an xml file). As Riley says, rt-click the link and SaveAs. Your web browser probably isn't configured to open RKTs in RockSim.

Using RockSim calculations, the CP comes in right at the front of the fins. Barrowman and OR both put it in a weird location - I guess they can't cope with the tailcone...? I checked other companies' V-2s on RocketReviews and they concur with the RockSim calc. As sim'd, it flew like a champ on a G76. I wish I'd had an altimeter onboard so I could compare results.

Neither OpenRocket nor RocSim can properly calculate the CP if the rocket has fin on a transition (tailcone). Barrrowman's equations did not take the possibility of fins on a transition into account. You could probably look at some aeronautical references to find equations that will work for this condition, but there will probably require working some integrals to get your answer.

If the fins on the V-2 have the correct scale size, you should be okay if the rocket balances about 1/2 a body in front of the tailcone prepped and ready for flight. If the fins are oversize, obviously you will have a bit more wiggle room. Flying V-2 models generally require a bit of extra noseweight for proper stability. In fact, if the scientific instruments used on the V-2 flights at White Sands did not weigh enough, lead was added to that flight for stability purposes.

On the WM V-2, the fins are overscaled so that the root comes all the way up to the base of the boattail.

The most important fin dimension on the V-2 would be the fin 's span. For a current example of what I am talking about, look at the current Estes V-2 kit (1926, new 1904, or 3228) the fins on the kit are noticeably oversize. The old Estes K-22 version the option was available to use either oversize or scale fins, but there was a warning that the scale fins would need more noseweight than what was provided in the kit. I scratch built a BT-60 sized V-2 with scale fins and that rocket weighs about 3.5 oz. empty.

Ordinarily, I'd paint 'em first, then fly 'em.
This one, I flew in primer then painted
2014-10-09 05.41.09.jpg

Back