Advice on my next "Big" Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agatheron

Reaction score
It's been a little while since I last posted. A week after we launched my Estes Prowler for the first time, my son was born, so I've been on diaper duty for a while.

Anyway, a few weeks ago my 9 yr old daughter and I were able to get out and do a handful of low power launches, including my Maxi Alpha 3. It's about what I feel safe doing in the field next to my place. Even so, the bug to get the Prowler back out is fairly strong, and I find myself wanting to check out a new mid-power build. I am debating some of the Estes ProII series, such as the Ventris, as well as some of the Aerotech kits. I was thinking it'd be fun to have a rocket that is taller than my daughter. Given that she's growing like a weed, it's hard to keep up. She's about 52" tall at the moment.

So any advice? I'm a competent model builder, so kit complexity doesn't bother me. So far the Prowler and the MA3 are my biggest kits.

Complexity? Ok... How about a Saturn V?

Really though, The Argent is a fun build, or if you're looking for something really different the Velociraptor would be an awesome addition to any fleet.

Big rocket, small field? LOC mini magg. If built very light just squeezes in under 3.3 pounds, and a G76/77/78/79/80 will pop it up about 500'

Big rocket, small field? LOC mini magg. If built very light just squeezes in under 3.3 pounds, and a G76/77/78/79/80 will pop it up about 500'

Unfortunately it's much harder to keep them under 53 oz with motor now that they have 1/4" fins. The 1/4" fins are great for durability though. Mine's 64+ oz without any motor, although it's built with nose weight.

My recommendation: Any of the PSII builder kits (Mega Max or Leviathan are both great, Argent too) or Aerotech G-force. The G-force is a 4" rocket that's 56" long, and hits around 600-700 feet on G motors. There are a couple of modification I'd recommend for any AT kit (use an estes retainer and don't use the baffle), but it flies great. The Mirage would work well too.

Last edited:
Depending on the size of the field and the environment where it is located, I'd be cautious going up in size, weight and power. If it's a residential neighborhood, most mid power rockets will be a bit risky. I decided my Maxi Alpha Three was about the biggest I could fly at my local park. Also, any F or G composite motor is going to attract a lot of attention.

With that said, all the PSII kits are great. The Partizon is about the height of your daughter and could fly on F or G motors. I'll second what SC said about the G-Force --- it's one of my favorite rockets! You'll need G motors to fly it.

The field near my place is 1000'x800' with winds generally blowing from the west along the longer part of the field. I've flown my MA3 there on D motors, but not E, not yet. I'll go elsewhere for doing bigger mid power.

I am curious about the G-Force, but my local hobby shops aren't licensed to carry G motors. There is a Canadian retailer that sells them online though, so I could go that way. It'd be the same place I'd get the G-Force from.

All the PSII kits, except the Mega Der Red Max, can be flown on composite F motors, if your hobby shop carries those. And if you do find an online vendor for G motors that is reasonable, then I think the G-Force is a great rocket!

Another option you might consider in the short term is to make a long removable payload bay for your Maxi Alpha Three. I made one from a standard 14" length of Estes BT80 tubing and an Estes coupler for BT80. I cut a bulk plate for the end of the coupler from a piece of 1/8" ply wood and put an eye bolt in it, then glued the coupler with bulk plate halfway into the end of the payload tube. Now I can fly the rocket in stock mode, or I can fly it in "Colossus Mode," which is about 47 inches tall. I use a quick connect to attach the parachute swivel to the shock cord and to the shock cord leader that goes to the nose cone, so it is super easy to just unhook the quick connect and swap the payload in or out. When I use the payload section, I just tape the nose cone to the top of the payload. That configuration flies well on E12 motors, or composite E20 motors. The E9 can work in low-wind conditions, but it is a bit under-powered.

How about LOC Vulcanite It's only 23 oz and over 53" tall. If you hurry, it will still be taller then your daughter when you launch it. It is a 38mm MMT and can handle a baby J according to the LOC site, but should fly fine on F & G motors until you do your cert.

LOC also has the Athena-3 at 44oz and almost 60" tall or the Cyclotron tube fin 38mm MMT rocket at 37 oz and 57" tall.

Thanks for the feedback so far. At the moment, with my daughter being 53" tall, the mid power choices are either shorter than she is, or taller. I'm leaning towards something that she'll grow to, but I want to give her some say as to which one we get. While I am personally partial to the Partizon in terms of looks, she did go "Ooooo" when looking at the G-Force. :p

Girl has expensive tastes... :)

The field near my place is 1000'x800' with winds generally blowing from the west along the longer part of the field. I've flown my MA3 there on D motors, but not E, not yet. I'll go elsewhere for doing bigger mid power.

I am curious about the G-Force, but my local hobby shops aren't licensed to carry G motors. There is a Canadian retailer that sells them online though, so I could go that way. It'd be the same place I'd get the G-Force from.

All rocket motors.ca Is where I order my G's from. I have placed 3 orders with them now. Excellent service, the orders were all shipped out the day they were ordered.

Welp, I pulled the trigger on a Partizon, as my daughter picked it over any of the others. It'll take a few days to get here, and will be a nice project build. Now to figure out a colour/decal scheme.

While I was at it, I also ordered set of Aerotech 18mm D10 engines, as well as 24mm E15's. I'm curious to see what a bit more power in a smaller rocket looks like. :) Mind you, the E15 is for the Maxi-Alpha 3, so not really smaller...

While I was at it, I also ordered set of Aerotech 18mm D10 engines, as well as 24mm E15's. I'm curious to see what a bit more power in a smaller rocket looks like. :) Mind you, the E15 is for the Maxi-Alpha 3, so not really smaller...

E15? looks like this :) 15 oz or so rocket, maybe 1,000' or so.

14759976140_a8c6b32df3_c.jpg

E15? looks like this :) 15 oz or so rocket, maybe 1,000' or so.

14759976140_a8c6b32df3_c.jpg

Ahh painkiller Micro, just received one today, 1000 on an E15! And I almost bought an F reload with no tracker... Maybe I should rethink that

I launch my micro Painkiller last fall with a F-240, it goes maybe around 1000 big big maximum. But it was with a special nose and a GPS inside and the fin can was injected with foam, so a little more heavy

Ahh painkiller Micro, just received one today, 1000 on an E15! And I almost bought an F reload with no tracker... Maybe I should rethink that

That's totally eyeball.... so 800-1000.... great ride.

Me, I am going with fiberglass all the way. it cost more however fiberglass can take a beating better than others.
If you are really in to cardboard rockets, I love the LOC Precision rockets!
I have been a big wildman rocketry fan, kits are great to work with and they are solid!

So for bigger motors, I am a Cesaroni Tech fan. My dad and I have a huge debate about which company is better.
I think CTI loads are easier to load, but they cost abit more.

My current project is an Ultimate Wildman Rocket
IMG_20150322_155748760.jpg

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product=2890
It's taller than I am :)

On the wildman rocketry thought.. any of the jr kits is a great place to start.
https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product=2891

38mm motor mount, so you can fly a G-J motor..
I did my level 2 cert on a dark star jr kit with a CTI-J410 in it.
That same rocket got stuck in a tree two weeks before hand.. took some work to get it out with no damage to the rocket. not sure if cardboard would take it.

Back