Out of production rocket stuff you'd love to see made again...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'm confused as to the obsession with the Flash streamers. I flew one several times and it was essentially invisible. I flew it as high as 7,000' but never saw any flashing.

B14's, C5's. A good machinist could easily make up a machine to automatically drill the hole or the mandrel made for the nozzle have an extended nozzle protrusion and simply deadpress the cavity into the fuel. This suggested refit would work on good ol' Mable, Estes' old motor press.

Estes Space Shuttles. Both versions. With and without the full pod and boosters.

Estes Black Brant II.

I believe I am meant to NEVER, ever, get more than 1 flight from a BB II. 3 Estes rockets crashed. One FSI, the F100 exploded 10 feet up. Level 1 BT70 29mm mount, Gordon turned me a beautiful cone. It came in hard after the shock cord was burned through. I was out in the desert looking for the nosecone and parachute for about a hour in the hot Idaho desert sun.... I abandoned the search but it was found right after I left the site so I get my Roachwerks' cone back :)

FSI F7's "nine seconds of terror". Apogee F10's are almost as cool but lack the smoke and adrenaline of random catos. Dave Lucas are you listening???

Estes Cherokee D (long version)
Estes Sizzler (1906) (Blowmolded nosecone)
Estes Defender (1924)

FSI F7's "nine seconds of terror". Apogee F10's are almost as cool but lack the smoke and adrenaline of random catos. Dave Lucas are you listening???

The E5's were a lot of fun, too, made a great sustainer with a D12-0 but you had to build light...very light with a solid cone for counterbalance. Make the rockets cheap, too. I never saw the two stage sustainer again.

All of the Motors in the Openrocket database.
Stuff like the Aerotech 24mm F72 SU and the 13mm B and C Motors.

I second the 13mm B & C motors! Or third, or whatever. I wonder if they were perceived to have a negative impact on NAR contests?

Having seen so many cool designs in EMRR, would love to see someone license designs from Thrustline and others, and make a series of repros. Much the same way that Semroc had licensed OOP Estes kits. Probably as limited edition, maybe preorder only.

From a nostalgia point of view, Estes Mini Brutes - my first ever rocket was an Estes Screamer, back in '78 (maybe '77?).

I second the 13mm B & C motors! Or third, or whatever. I wonder if they were perceived to have a negative impact on NAR contests?

I actually think it was a different impact - there are a lot of contest records from those days which cannot be broken with today's motors. B-Alt of 535m and C-alt of 756m are unobtainable with an 18mm diameter MD rocket. There were some suggested pink book changes a few years back which wanted to start a "new" set of records where they recorded the specific motor used - this was partially because of the changes in motors over the years. Of course, like most pink book changes, this one was not accepted.

Kevin

I actually think it was a different impact - there are a lot of contest records from those days which cannot be broken with today's motors. B-Alt of 535m and C-alt of 756m are unobtainable with an 18mm diameter MD rocket. There were some suggested pink book changes a few years back which wanted to start a "new" set of records where they recorded the specific motor used - this was partially because of the changes in motors over the years. Of course, like most pink book changes, this one was not accepted.

Kevin

That's kinda what I meant - If you do this, you outclass everything else. Like what they did with the flex gliders - now their own category because they just pwnd the fixed wing gliders. Ruling out 13mm B and C motors would make things more challenging, I guess?

Hummm.... I wonder what the going price is for this new in the box, ARTS-1 with GPS telemetry transmitter and receiver that I'm foundling right now???

I could be convinced to agree with you in public. Ad refute all those horrible things Neil says about when you are not looking...

I could be convinced to agree with you in public. Ad refute all those horrible things Neil says about when you are not looking...

If you're interested in the complete new unit let me know... I also have two used Arts-1 units, (no peripherals)... I bought Fred S. trailer and rocket stuff and the Arts are part of the stuff I got... I was never into ARTS units and would like to pass these units on to someone who is familiar with there use and operation... Make me an offer.

I blew up 2 or 3 FSI Black Brant II's with the F100. Lonnie replaced them. But what a flight when the F100 worked!

I believe I am meant to NEVER, ever, get more than 1 flight from a BB II. 3 Estes rockets crashed. One FSI, the F100 exploded 10 feet up. Level 1 BT70 29mm mount, Gordon turned me a beautiful cone. It came in hard after the shock cord was burned through. I was out in the desert looking for the nosecone and parachute for about a hour in the hot Idaho desert sun.... I abandoned the search but it was found right after I left the site so I get my Roachwerks' cone back :)

Back