Anyone Have Experience with "The Launch Pad" Brand?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overklock

Reaction score
I'm a HUGE fan of replica missiles. Recently I've discovered the brand the Launch Pad and really want to do one of their build. However, I'm having a hard time finding any kind of reviews for the things. Beautiful as they are, I'd love some feedback.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1430115310.311502.jpg

One thing to know about Launch Pad kits is that they are "builders kits" requiring advanced modeling/building skills. That being said, I have heard mostly good stuff about their kits. I have a Plan Pak for scratch building the Nike Hercules, but that even goes beyond the kits for difficulty level. The RocketReviews only cover the Nike Herc PlanPak not the kit version.

One thing to know about Launch Pad kits is that they are "builders kits" requiring advanced modeling/building skills. That being said, I have heard mostly good stuff about their kits. I have a Plan Pak for scratch building the Nike Hercules, but that even goes beyond the kits for difficulty level. The RocketReviews only cover the Nike Herc PlanPak not the kit version.

This is the kind of info I was looking for. Wasn't aware of that!
I would love to see a build of one of their kits...
And thank you Rex for the link :)

overklock,

There used to be a very active member here, with the user name sodmeister, who was king of the TLP builds. Paul was an excellent craftsman and did a number of build threads of TLP kits.

If you click on the advanced search link in the upper right corner of the forum, click on "All types" and enter "sodmeister" (without the quotes) in the user name, you will get a list of the threads he started. He typically used "TLP" in the thread title when it was concerning one of their kits.

I hope these build threads will give you better insight into the nature of the TLP kits.

Last edited:
My daughter built a TLP AMRAAM won in a launch raffle. It's built for a 2xD12 cluster. It was fairly easy to build (11-year-old with guidance, adults with reasonable experience no problem). The only problem was that it broke an aft fin on landing, possibly due to excess weight from one motor not firing at liftoff. Even with the failure to light both motors, it flew just fine. It's 100% reparable, and will fly again before long.

I've built a half dozen or so of their kits, and reviewed two of them on the Rocketreviews.com website. I like them, as they're light enough to get decent altitude on the 24mm RMS motors. I usually beef up the aft end (basswood TTW fins) to keep the kits away from the repair bench. Beware the 'witch's hat', though. Getting that right takes lots of practice.

I'm seeing a lot of that witch hat thing. What is it exactly?

It's the rolled paper cone you use in some kits to change the shape of the nose cone. It is quite a pain, but it just takes practice. I'm building the Martel right now and have the Perseus and Dragonfly in the paint booth. I started with a BOLO, which is little more than a 4FNC mid-power kit.

It's the rolled paper cone you use in some kits to change the shape of the nose cone. It is quite a pain, but it just takes practice. I'm building the Martel right now and have the Perseus and Dragonfly in the paint booth. I started with a BOLO, which is little more than a 4FNC mid-power kit.

Does it harden? That's really strange to have a piece of paper on top of your nose cone.

Don't beware the "Witches Hat".:facepalm:
Just make copies of it on your printer so that if you screw one up you just cut out another and try again.:)
The other threads that I posted links to have info and links on how to do them up right.

Does it harden? That's really strange to have a piece of paper on top of your nose cone.

Be prepared to do a lot of this type of thing on certain Launch Pad kits. To shave weight and keep the cost of the kits down you will be using a lot of these unique techniques on these rockets.

I personally don't care for them, but a few guys in my club build them and if you are a good builder and take the time, they look great. However, they require a tremendous amount of work compared to an Estes kit. And you may need (or want) to replace certain components as you build the rocket.

Another thing to be careful about is the recommended motors list. A lot of their 2.6 inch kits say (or at least they used to when I built a few) that they can fly on a D12-3. Most of these D12 rockets really need Aerotech or Cessaroni 24mm motors. My Standard AGM is not flyable on an Estes D12-3 despite it being in the recommended motor list. However, it flies great on an Aerotech E18.

So in short, these are NOT easy kits and are not for a beginner, or even intermediate modeler.

Don't beware the "Witches Hat".:facepalm:
Just make copies of it on your printer so that if you screw one up you just cut out another and try again.:)
The other threads that I posted links to have info and links on how to do them up right.

On the last one I built, I filled it with expanding foam to help it keep its shape. It's by far the best looking witches hat I've made.

On the last one I built, I filled it with expanding foam to help it keep its shape. It's by far the best looking witches hat I've made.

That's crazy. Fiberglass resin would probably do well as well.

At the cost of a lot of weight compared to the foam.

I guess what I was getting at was just coating the outside in resin.
That being said, how does one sand, paper? If this paper cone stays on top that is.

Last edited:
I just drizzle it on with the teflon tubing that hobby shop carry for CA. A short piece in the tip makes a precision applicator, a.brush could also be used but would be one time use the teflon tubing lasts a long time.

Soaked as in painted on with a brush? Or physically soaked. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

If you are wearing Nitrile Gloves, as you should be when working with Super-Thin CA, you can just rub it into the cardstock with your finger.
I usually fill the paper hats with some form of epoxy, be it PC Superpoxy which solidifies to be like a plastic, or PC Metal epoxy putty, which can be pressed into the hat to force it to be perfectly round.
Most TLP Kits reqiure a touch of nose weight anyhow.
If you read the reviews at rocketreviews.com, you'll see that they can indeed be built light, but you'll be fixing them after every flight.
I use common sense building practices or even over building on them in most cases, and don't care if they can't fly on the minimum recommended motor.

[video=youtube;FHFeGZLoORE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFeGZLoORE[/video]

With all this good advice I'd say it's time to pull the plug and get your very own TLP kit. Nose cone construction is just one of the unique features and if you're like me you wont really "get" what everyone is talking about until you build one ! They can be had at a number of vendors; here are two I like:

https://www.erockets.biz/launch-pad-model-rocket-kits/

https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/launch-pad-mid-power-kits-113/

If you haven't already, check out ASP for some nice scale model kits: https://www.asp-rocketry.com/ecommerce/ASP-Scale-Rocket-Kits.cfm?cat_id=8

That being said, how does one sand, paper? If this paper cone stays on top that is.

Lightly, but after it has been soaked with thin CA I've had no real problems sanding it. Just keep in mind what it is you're working with,

With all this good advice I'd say it's time to pull the plug and get your very own TLP kit. Nose cone construction is just one of the unique features and if you're like me you wont really "get" what everyone is talking about until you build one ! They can be had at a number of vendors; here are two I like:

https://www.erockets.biz/launch-pad-model-rocket-kits/

https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/launch-pad-mid-power-kits-113/

If you haven't already, check out ASP for some nice scale model kits: https://www.asp-rocketry.com/ecommerce/ASP-Scale-Rocket-Kits.cfm?cat_id=8

Hobbylinc also has excellent prices on TLP stuff. https://www.hobbylinc.com/launch-pad-model-rockets

When filled with epoxy you can sand the paper away entirely if you like, leaving just the perfectly formed cone tip.

Back