BSG 1980 Spaceball Goof

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Over spring break, I watched all the episodes of Battlestar Galactica, and decided that I wanted to check out the remainder of the "original" series I vaguely remembered.

Now I remember why it was canceled... Boy that was AWFUL!!!

In the 3rd episode, the kids are caught up playing baseball, and the pilots who brought them to Earth are sent on a wild goose chase by the new bad guy (who replaces Baltar). As the heroes are trying to repair their sabotaged Viper, they're "floating" in space with fully visible wires. Man, that is BAD!!! I think I'll finish the episode, but I've got no interest in the remaining 7 hours of the series.

Last edited:
BSG 80 was hideous at the time ... Not having seen original BSG in many years, I can only say that I doubt it held up very well.

When the reboot came out, I had a lot of misgivings about it, but having finally seen the whole thing through the magic of Netflix ... I'm glad I finally got to see it. And, I need to get the whole series on Blu-Ray.

I concur with the above commentary on the original BSG and the G1980 series. The original was cool enough for me as a ~12 year old, but it did reek a bit of cheese even then. But I loved it, was sad when it was cancelled, then excitedly tuned in the 1980 series. Set on Earth, for lower budgets. Oh, it was awful. So bad. Even for me, even then.

As to the visible wires: the TVs of the time may not have made them as visible as they are today. This is a problem with a lot of remastered TV from that era. The crappy resolution of 1970s-technology TV blurred a lot of it away. However, the film (and I do mean film, not video tape) that it was shot on captured everything. When that film is remastered onto modern Blue ray or even DVD, suddenly lots of things pop right out at you that were never visible in 1980. However, those suspension wires look so hokey that they might have been visible even then. The mount points almost certainly. The wires themselves probably blurred away.

Still, there's a lot of fun stuff out there. Easter eggs waiting to be gathered. I'm working my way through the Blue Ray edition of the 1960s Batman with my kids. The high resolution format captures everything! It was a great remastering, and the original films were in great shape to start off with, so it's a beautiful job. You can see every paint brush stroke on the cheesy set props. Glorious!

Marc

Not to mention the fleet was under the leadership of a prepubescent John Denver

Actually it was partially under the control of cousin Oliver (Brady Bunch), and a Penguin (Private (Penguins of Madagascar) (James) Patrick Stuart (No relation to Captain Picard/Professor X, Patrick Stewart)).

Last edited:
I concur with the above commentary on the original BSG and the G1980 series. The original was cool enough for me as a ~12 year old, but it did reek a bit of cheese even then. But I loved it, was sad when it was cancelled, then excitedly tuned in the 1980 series. Set on Earth, for lower budgets. Oh, it was awful. So bad. Even for me, even then.

As to the visible wires: the TVs of the time may not have made them as visible as they are today. This is a problem with a lot of remastered TV from that era. The crappy resolution of 1970s-technology TV blurred a lot of it away. However, the film (and I do mean film, not video tape) that it was shot on captured everything. When that film is remastered onto modern Blue ray or even DVD, suddenly lots of things pop right out at you that were never visible in 1980. However, those suspension wires look so hokey that they might have been visible even then. The mount points almost certainly. The wires themselves probably blurred away.

Still, there's a lot of fun stuff out there. Easter eggs waiting to be gathered. I'm working my way through the Blue Ray edition of the 1960s Batman with my kids. The high resolution format captures everything! It was a great remastering, and the original films were in great shape to start off with, so it's a beautiful job. You can see every paint brush stroke on the cheesy set props. Glorious!

Marc

Yeah, pretty much all of these things.

Actually it was partially under the control of cousin Oliver (Brady Bunch), and a Penguin (Private (Penguins of Madagascar) (James) Patrick Stuart (No relation to Captain Picard/Professor X, Patrick Stewart)).

Great FSM, you must be a programmer or a mathematician to successfully use so many parentheses.

Back