The Mach Ness Monster, A 76mm Minimum Diameter Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I settled on two layers of tip to tip carbon fiber on the fins; should be more than enough to keep the fins on. A few bubbles, but nothing a little sanding can't fix. :) Now just to make it pretty! ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435156691.391030.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435156711.904465.jpg

So I've pretty much finished building! Just needs a nice paint job and a layer of clear coat. I did run into a few problems however. I thought I was having issues fitting my motor into my carbon tube because it was a tight fit to begin with and my case is pretty beat up, turns out that was only part of the issue. The main issue was that somehow my carbon tube isn't perfectly straight.. Best thing I could figure was a warped phenolic mandrel or I messed it up driving it home. (I wrapped it at a friends house and drove it home) So I ended up cutting off the fin section, which I had already attached to the tube and buying a commercial carbon tube. I'm happy with the result. Considering how big of an issue that is it ended up being a fairly easy fix. Here are some photos: ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436242254.571082.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436242264.153026.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436242275.106013.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436242297.926567.jpg For laughs and giggles I placed it next to my L2 cert. rocket in the last photo.

Best thing I could figure was a warped phenolic mandrel or I messed it up driving it home.

I made an entire 4" two-stager a few years ago. I took it to a launch to show it off, and I guy asks me how come it's bent. Sure enough, the thing looked like a banana, although I was able to get the motors in just barely. Of the four airframe sections, I turned the second and fourth 180 degrees to make like a snake shape. I don't have that rocket anymore.

I swear that when I started making tubes, the phenolic tubes for mandrels were very straight. It seems like over time they have gotten worse. I got one a few years ago that wasn't very good. I was in a hurry so I cut slots in it to straighten it out. It worked, but I can't recommend it.

Good luck on your flight. The rocket looks great and you have some interesting flights planned. Sorry about the tube though, too bad.

Jim

Mandrel.jpg

I made an entire 4" two-stager a few years ago. I took it to a launch to show it off, and I guy asks me how come it's bent. Sure enough, the thing looked like a banana, although I was able to get the motors in just barely. Jim
Did you ever fly it? I'm considering putting a 38mm mount in my bent tube and flying it instead of just throwing it out. Or maybe using it as a motor casing.

Did you ever fly it? I'm considering putting a 38mm mount in my bent tube and flying it instead of just throwing it out. Or maybe using it as a motor casing.

Sure. It flew fine, but both the sustainer and booster were lost in separate flights due to other problems.

Jim

Sure. It flew fine, but both the sustainer and booster were lost in separate flights due to other problems.

Jim

That's interesting. I totally thought that any kind of slight bend would cause the rocket to cone. That was an amazing build by the way. It's too bad you lost them. I would've been quite upset about it to say the least.

-Clay

That's interesting. I totally thought that any kind of slight bend would cause the rocket to cone. That was an amazing build by the way. It's too bad you lost them. I would've been quite upset about it to say the least.

-Clay

I'm reasonably sure that this rocket is the one that flew to 100K but shreaded at that point due to the Raven altimeter firmware problem. The sustainer was lost (its first and only flight). The booster was lost on the subsequent flight on what remains my worst flight to date (and why I harp on the subject of two-stage safety). I think it was a sign from the rocket gods.

Stu Barrett was over last night (we were talking to an L3 candidate). That flyer wants to make is own airframe, and I relayed your experience and my own to emphasize the need to procure a straight mandrel. Stu mentioned that he has a few motor tubes that are curved. Oh, my ....

Jim

Last edited:
I've finished up painting, here is what it looks like. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436990730.641454.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436990741.967814.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436990754.312423.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1436990763.319858.jpg I couldn't resist adding Nessie to this flight ;)

Here's the video: [video=youtube;SxI1GhdZurI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxI1GhdZurI[/video]

Never think I'd say this, but screw the L3 -- that was a great flight!!!

I never thought I would care this little about not getting my L3. This would've been an amazing cert. flight, but now I have an excuse to buy another motor and fly it again! :D

Mark's flight was more aggressive, but yours was more spectacular.

Yeah I was seriously worried about your tower after seeing this big of a hole. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1438664218.644264.jpg It all held perfectly though! Wish I had a side by side comparison.

Last edited:
Back