Launch Rod Mounts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTH28890

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could buy some launch rod mounts? I am looking for a source for some launch rod mounts that can be put on a sawhorse. Home depot has a folding sawhorse that I think I can put in four mounts on it. The idea mount would be able to rotate 360 degrees and tilt up to 30 degrees from vertical and be able to hold either a 1/8 or 3/16 rod.

If there are no sources to buy such an item does anyone have a good design for one that can be easily built?

Thanks for any pointers.

I'm going to ride your coattails on this thread, JTH.

We're likely going to have to construct a number of such racks for a large scout launch this fall and may want to use similar methods.

We have two of the folding sawhorses for our LPR pads at BattlePark. We put 5 rods in each one. The rods don't tilt or move at all.

I used a 1.5" x 1.5" piece of oak that was the length of the saw horse. The oak was sold at Home Depot in the area where stair railings were sold.

I drilled five 1/4" holes through the oak from top to bottom. These are where the rods go. I then drill a hole from the side, into the vertical hole and screw in a hex-drive threaded insert with 1/4-20 threads.
31880-03-1000.jpg

Use 1/4-20 wing screws to hold the rods in place
screws-wing.png

Two wood screws hold the oak piece to the saw horse.

We usually use three 1/8" rods and two 3/16" rods with pieces of 4 x 4 tile glued to a piece of wood as a blast deflector.

For a club pad, not having it adjustable works just fine. We don't have issues trying to teach people how to use the adjusters every launch and the adjustment mechanism is one less item to get broken that we have to fix or maintain.

LPR Pad.jpg

Harbor Freight has inexpensive replacement drill chucks. Fits anything from MMX to 3/8". You need a decent HW store to find LH thread bolts, however as a solution they work quite well.

Use the sawhorse, add a piece of 2x4 on top. Screw it to the sawhorse, drill holes in it at slight angle, you pick degree. Set it up orientating it away from flight line. Add whatever is handy and appropriate for blast deflection. You can turn complete unit around to accommodate the direction you want launches to go.

note: no hardware is needed, just don't drill all the way through 2x4 and rods will be secure in the wood.

Last edited:
I've been building and maintaining NARHAM's Club and my own equipment for over 40years. During that time we've used several Alt-Azmuth home made launch rod holders.
Below are some photos of the 4 various mounts. two of the four I designed and manufactured in my tiny townhouse basements, others were designed by folks before me or the Red Plastic mount was at one time available for purchase from Centuri Model rocket Company. Persionally I find the two piece 3/4" x 1" alumimum bar Alt-Azmuth attachemnt to be the easiest one to make (system-1 Rack_3rd & 4th pics). One could substitude Exterior grade Plywood for the aluminum bar, the only down side would be they would not last nearly as long;)
Hope some or one of these help.

JEM Rack-2j-sm_4ft Rack in use Honest John Liftoff_05-09-87.jpg

system-4e1_Alt-Az rod holder.jpg

Satellite Sys Pad Head & Alt-Az RodHolder-a-sm_06-90.jpg

Satellite Sys Pad Head & AltAz Rodholder-b-sm_06-90.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your pictures and suggestions. I think we are going to go with this design mounted on a couple of folding sawhorses.

LP Rod Clamp.jpg

Back