Jolly Logic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCC

Reaction score
I was thinking of picking up a Jolly Logic for my mid power rockets. I have a question for those of you that have one. How do you attach it? Do you use the mounting kit they sell? Do you just use Velcro? It looks like you could just zip tie it to the nosecone.

Thanks Curtis

I also do the snap-swivel to nosecone, if the rocket does not have a payload bay.

Granted- I haven't flown any on LPR birds, but I don't really trust a snap swivel all that much. I just use electrical tape wrapped around the unit and the (Kevlar) shock cord. Sure, it obscures the screen but comes right off with no residue. Make sure you have ports for pressure sensing.

Okay one more rookie question. I'm going to attach the Jolly Logic to the eyebolt on my 2.6" DX3 so I will have to put the holes in the lower tube. Where is the best place to put the holes? In the middle?

I clip my A2 to the shock cord, so I put the vents through the upper section/coupler tube, and right above where the chutes are when packed. Works for me.

Granted- I haven't flown any on LPR birds, but I don't really trust a snap swivel all that much. I just use electrical tape wrapped around the unit and the (Kevlar) shock cord. Sure, it obscures the screen but comes right off with no residue. Make sure you have ports for pressure sensing.

Yes, choose your snap swivel carefully, not all are created equal in terms of strength.

If you have a payload bay, that would obviously be the best place to put it. You could also use a kevlar thread/elastic shock cord back-up system with a snap swivel, or clip it to the shockcord, as mentioned below (by the definitely not "somewhatcrazy" member).

If it is attached to the nosecone/eyebolt area, I'm guessing it is going to be above the chute when it is packed in, so it would likely be best to put the holes there, in that region (taking care that you don't cover the holes with the shoulder of the nose cone).

+1.

take care in mounting choices. :facepalm:

14763214417_cf0e94e48d.jpg

I zip tied the replacement to my Optima's nosecone. late delay on a G138T and the body rammed into the nose, knocked off the nosecone and sent the Alt 2 to it's muddy death, never to be found.

I love them, and the data is great....but mounting them I find problematic.

Yes, choose your snap swivel carefully, not all are created equal in terms of strength.

If you have a payload bay, that would obviously be the best place to put it. You could also use a kevlar thread/elastic shock cord back-up system with a snap swivel, or clip it to the shockcord, as mentioned below (by the definitely not "somewhatcrazy" member).

If it is attached to the nosecone/eyebolt area, I'm guessing it is going to be above the chute when it is packed in, so it would likely be best to put the holes there, in that region (taking care that you don't cover the holes with the shoulder of the nose cone).

I have put the holes in, I am a little worried that the chute might plug them. No big deal really as I don't need total accuracy for my DX3. When I build my torrent for level 1 it will be mounted in the payload bay anyway.

I'm not really sure that something soft like a parachute would obstruct the holes (or all of them) enough that the JL altimeter wouldn't be able to read the change in barometric pressure. I could be wrong...

I put one on my super Batray - just zip tied to nose cone with no holes - 1230' - hmm looked higher than that. with holes same motor 1800' ahh better

take care in mounting choices. :facepalm:

14763214417_cf0e94e48d.jpg

I zip tied the replacement to my Optima's nosecone. late delay on a G138T and the body rammed into the nose, knocked off the nosecone and sent the Alt 2 to it's muddy death, never to be found.

I love them, and the data is great....but mounting them I find problematic.

1/2 in. Polyethylene Pipe Wrap Insulation

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacel...ylene-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation-OEP05838/100572787

Jolly Logic and Estes altimeters fit perfectly inside. Ejection G-forces haven't so much as budged mine.

I made a little loop of cord for mine, Kevlar because I had it, then i add it one a quick link or tie it to the shock cord.

Back