L1 Certification Flight Success

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Last Saturdays launch (18 April 2015) was both and exciting and a little disappointing. The Crayons flew (and one crashed) for the first time.

Build thread is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123496-Crayon-Bank-Rocket-build-times-two

Getting the Red one in the air was an interesting series of events ranging frome a GSE failure (pad relay was bad), to me failing to vent the redcap properly and the igniter popping out (thanks to D.King for his assistance and guidance).

Flight 1

When we finally did get Red in the air it was a beautiful flight on a AT 29/40-120 G76G to 500' per the OpenRocket Simulation and confirmed via the MissleWorks RRC3 in the nose cone. It went downhill from there (pun intended) the delay was too long and the ejection charge fired 30 or so feet above ground, the 20' kevlar shock cord and parachute were attached to the NC, the chute started to deploy at about 15 feet, but the 20' shock cord allowed the airframe to slam into the ground basically at full velocity. After action review, the delay wasn't drilled properly due to the fact the bit on my delay drilling tool was loose, so the delay was too long. The rockets boosted fine under the G motors used, but will require electronic ejection in the future with these motors as the delays cannot be shortened enough. Damage was 2 cracked fins and a crimped body tube, due to location of BT damage this rocket will not be flown again (most likely).

Flight 2
L1 Certification Flight

The Pink Crayon things went much better. Motor was a AT RMS H123W to 1200' again nearly perfectly on the sim from OR and confirmed via the RRC3, it was a great flight. Chute deployed properly (thanks to my dear wife the seamstress) it was a 48" twelve gore with 6" spill hole Red and White panels, a beautiful chute, with a descent rate of 21 fps according to my math. The rocket landed about 2500' SE of the launch area in the sod near Frontier Rd.

Flight 3

The Pink Crayon flight 2 was on a AT 29/40-120 G64W once again to 500'. Deployment was again via motor ejection. I realized that my RMS Delay Drilling Tool had an issue and L. Kennedy (I hope I got the name right) was gracious enough to loan me his to adjust the delay. It was almost the same scenario as Reds first flight only this time the delay was shorter and the chute deployed in time to keep the rocket from hitting the ground too hard.

Conclusions

These rockets weighed about 58 to 60 ounces each, motor delays cannot be adjusted short enough if flown on a G motor less than a G138, and require electronic ejection. 1 gram of 4Fg BP was used and that was plenty, especially since shear pins were not necessary. The rockets were definitely built tough enough as the Red one actually held together really well given an impact velocity of over 200 fps. I would definitely fly these again on G motors only with electronic ejection, since they are low and slow its a good show for the crowd.

While I had no intentions of making my cert flight on a Pink Crayon fate plays dirty tricks, all in all it was a successful day. Thanks to all the members here who have contributed to my knowledge base allowing me to be successful.

Rich.

Last edited:
Congrats on the L1!!!

Sorry about the Red crash!

I read through your build thread on the crayons and looking at the final weights, I'm not really surprised at the outcome. I think cls was pretty much right in post #2 when he said "Looks like a solid but slightly heavy build." I'm not sure his recommendation of "high thrust" G motors being enough for these was quite right.

When I think of "G" motors I'm thinking the AT Hobbyline 29/40-120 motors which are mostly below 120 Ns. The FAA limits Class 1 rockets to less then 1500g or 3.3 lbs (3lbs., 4oz., or 52 oz.) I have found that to be a really good limit for the Hobbyline G motors. Of course the diameter makes a difference too. A 2.6 diameter rocket at 3.5 lbs I might fly on a Hobbyline G, but a 5.5" diameter at 3 lbs, no way. Of course that's coming from 12 years of flying the Hobbyline and HPR motors.

You will learn a lot more about motors, weights and what works and what doesn't as you fly more L1 motors and figure out the differences between the HPR and MPR ranges. My recommendation is, at 58 to 60 ounces, don't fly them on any G motor, even with electronic deployment. I would use a baby H like the AT H128W as a minimum for those rockets just because of the weight.

What ever you decide to do with the Crayons, have fun! The L1 cert has opened a whole new level of rocketry for you. Learn and enjoy!

Good Luck

Last edited:
You got the Cert, thats great even on a pinky...better than naked like mine

First: congratulations on the L1 certification! That's great!

Second... now that you have it, you CAN fly those high-thrust G's for use of motor delay... Wins all around!

Later!

--Coop

Back