A Little Experiment With Drogue Streamers and a High Power Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty cool. Nice write up. I like how the camera stayed relatively stable for a decent ground view.

I enjoyed the article, and the accompanying video.

I've used streamers at apogee a few times on HPR rockets. We have a 4" upscaled Phoenix Bird that deploys a triangularly-shaped streamer at apogee (picked up a kite tail, added grommets, and there ya go). I've also got an upscaled Goblin that used a big streamer at apogee (hey, my original Goblin had one, I thought it appropriate that the upscale should, too). I didn't use it on my last project because of space considerations (the 24" drogue packs a lot smaller), but, if things go the way I think they will, I may use one on my next big project.

During design, I usually try to get a streamer in there for a drogue event, but it doesn't always work out. Space considerations are usually the deciding factor. A big streamer doesn't pack anywhere near as tightly as a parachute that will give you the same descent rate, at least from what I've seen and the materials I've used (ripstop nylon)--but they're a lot easier to track during descent... and they look pretty cool doing it, too.

Later!

--Coop

Back