Igniters: Estes vs AeroTech

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I've been beating this around in my head. The Estes composite SU motors are rebranded AeroTech motors. They use the sonic igniters for these all the way through to G. And I've had good results thus far. So my quandary is would they be acceptable for RMS motors? Could they be used for DD ejections? They're cheap and readily available at Hobby Lobby. That's the only common hobby store we have here. There are 3 mom and pop hobby shops but they don't carry any mid power beyond Estes E motors and nothing high power.

I have seen them used for 29 mm RMS with success. I would not use them with 38mm or larger. They might fit a 1-2 grain 38mm, but I would suspect a high failure rate.

So my quandary is would they be acceptable for RMS motors?

Yes & no..... NO on most most all motors, some blue thunder will light, some others if your lucky....yes if you dip them in one of the many dip kits out there for making motor starters.

I have seen them used quite well for starting RMS motors[small 29-38's], but they were fortified by dipping in pyrogen & leads lengthened by adding/soldering longer leads so they would reach up to top grain. So the question becomes...Is it worth the effort & do you want to go out to the pad, multiple times, to replace the motor starter, if it doesn't work.

There are other solutions out there for making/buying motor starters... just as or less cost than Q-2's.

Edit: my above comments were on thinking this discussion was about Q-2's , NOW I realize that part-timers has set in, and Sonics were the discussion at hand.LOL I do not hold a high opinion of them, based solely on what I have witnessed at launches. There are other threads based on very mixed opinions of these.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?36440-Estes-Sonic-Igniter-Pro-Series-II-Igniters-suck!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?30817-Estes-Sonic-Igniters&p=339772#post339772

And will let others continue the debate, you either love them or hate them, kinda like Copperheads. I won't use anything with such a track record, I make my own which are 99.9% reliable.

Last edited:
I was mostly talking hobby line RMS. And perhaps a few 29mm HPRs. Wasn't thinking to use for 29/240 or 28/360. And definitely not 38mm.

Should work then for motors. They will not work for dual deployment.

I have not counted but I would say I have around a 50% fail rate with those. They just don't have a lot of oomph... The aerotech starters have been working great lately.

The Estes igniters for SU composite motors should work just as well for the Hobbyline RMS motors. The Hobbyline RMS reload kits and Aerotech SU motors come with igniters. You don't have to buy them separate like you do for the Estes branded SU composite motors.

As for using the Estes igniters in DD as charge lighters, NO! Most motor starters usually require much more current than altimeters and their batteries will output. I believe the Quest Q2G2 igniters can be use in DD, but I've never tried them.

As for using the Estes igniters in DD as charge lighters, NO! Most motor starters usually require much more current than altimeters and their batteries will output. I believe the Quest Q2G2 igniters can be use in DD, but I've never tried them.

This...+1.

Back