NCC-1701 - TOS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
Boldly static.

https://www.thetrekcollective.com/2015/01/original-uss-enteprise-in-spacedock.html

Dan%2BJohnson%2BSmithsonian%2BNational%2BAir%2Band%2BSpace%2BMuseum%2BStar%2BTrek%2BUSS%2BEnterprise%2Bstudio%2Bmodel%2B2.jpg

Greg

Things like this always make me wonder about the scaling of color (I should look into how that works someday). When I watched TNG, I felt that the ship was painted in different shades of light grey. When I got the model, and read over the painting instructions, I learned that it was mostly "Duck Egg Blue". When painted in the colors per the instructions, I inevitably feel that the ship is blue and doesn't look anything like the ship on the TV or movie screen. I wonder if there is a guide to paint the ship to look like what you see there, and not what the production model is ACTUALLY painted in.

An example of the way the color changes from reality to what you see on screen was clearly demonstrated in the set where Troi crashes the Enterprise D into Vagra II. Watching the behind the scenes, I leaned that they had to make the trees extremely green (read florescent) to get the color right on screen (It's talked about at the 4 minute mark in the following video):

[video=youtube;4yOw_xLJuVY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yOw_xLJuVY[/video]

Last edited:
Thank you for link. I have several of the AMT kits and have not built them because of the color problem.

Neat! It looks a little too weathered for my tastes but still very cool. I always get sucked into the Air & Space Museum for most of the day, and end up with little time to see the rest of the Smithsonian. Thanks for posting!

They drew pencil lines on the original paint scheme. When the 'Franz Joseph' blueprints came out, the lines were thickened. Whether or not that predates the AMT model, with its horrid grid, I do not know. On the heels of the post Star Wars 'everything must be ultra-detailed' and the Aztec ('ugly') scheme on the Refit Enterprise, someone at NASM got to the idea to put that paint scheme on it. The restoration promises to revert it to the mildly weathered monocolor silverish gray.

Back