Another completed Eggfinder LCD but in a differnt box

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I would share my finally completed Eggfinder LCD. The enclosure took forever to arrive, but it was worth the wait. The LCD almost fits perfectly, correct hole dimensions but aligned slightly to the bottom, but hardly noticeable. The 2S 1350 mAh Li-Po is easy to install and with some nylon stand offs and nylon washers for shims the LCD and board mounted perfectly to the chassis. Overall a great box and very little to do as far as modifications. One switch for power the other for the LCD back-light if ever required.

Here are some links for the components:
Switches
Enclosure

View attachment 261602 View attachment 261603 View attachment 261604 View attachment 261605 View attachment 261606

Last edited:
Nice box. I like the fact that the window is the perfect size. I chose the Hammond #1553TBKBAT from DigiKey. They ship SUPER fast. I only added the on/off switch. I chose the 4 double A battery compertment.

Nice box. I like the fact that the window is the perfect size. I chose the Hammond #1553TBKBAT from DigiKey. They ship SUPER fast. I only added the on/off switch. I chose the 4 double A battery compertment.

Funny I scoured DigiKey and never saw that enclosure, but it looks nice and similar to mine.

Besides the prefabricated LCD window, it is also modular. You can chose different sized battery boxes, or none, as well as the colour of your grips, if they have anything other than white and black in stock that is.

The side grip feel comfortable and grippy to hold, but surprisingly not too bulky, and I have small hands. Delivery time from placing the order until the enclosure arrived was close to two months, however I was not in a hurry at that time and figured if I had it ready for LDRS that would work for me.

Last edited:
I have one of these type of cases..but didnt get the one with built in batt door.

Guess it is time to do the integration..after seeing how well yours turned out.

Kenny

I just tested the Bluetooth with Google Earth...very cool. For those that don't know the Eggfinder LCD has a Bluetooth add-on that you can pair with your computer (MacBook Air in my case) then fire up Google Earth configure it to look for a GPS on your system, under "Tools" "GPS", select the "Realtime" tab, I used NMEA as the protocol. Once it finds the Bluetooth device and syncs up then select the location in your "Temporary Places" and it will now display the location of your Eggtimer TRS or Eggfinder TX, assuming it has sync with the Eggfinder LCD. The visually cool part is it lays the coordinates down seamlessly on the 3D map.

Well at least I think it's cool!

I just tested the Bluetooth with Google Earth...very cool. For those that don't know the Eggfinder LCD has a Bluetooth add-on that you can pair with your computer (MacBook Air in my case) then fire up Google Earth configure it to look for a GPS on your system, under "Tools" "GPS", select the "Realtime" tab, I used NMEA as the protocol. Once it finds the Bluetooth device and syncs up then select the location in your "Temporary Places" and it will now display the location of your Eggtimer TRS or Eggfinder TX, assuming it has sync with the Eggfinder LCD. The visually cool part is it lays the coordinates down seamlessly on the 3D map.

Well at least I think it's cool!

That's a really interesting development to be able to pipe the incoming real time data to Google Earth. Would be nice as long as one has an internet connection out in the field with the device they use. Kurt

That's a really interesting development to be able to pipe the incoming real time data to Google Earth. Would be nice as long as one has an internet connection out in the field with the device they use. Kurt

No internet required. Google Earth caches the maps you pre-download.

You just need to set it up before hand. My test yesterday was performed with my Wi-Fi disabled, no internet on my laptop. Beyond Google Earth complaining that it could not connect to the servers when it first opened up, it displayed my maps, including all the detail items I had selected and zoomed out way beyond any reasonable potential drift as far as the radius. If I needed internet, I could also use the LTE on my phone, assuming I had service and Bluetooth it to my computer. But like I sucessfully tested, it's not required.

Indeed, I had no idea Google Earth offered that feature. Now what I have to figure out is I've always captured the EF/TRS output to a Terminal window and saved the entire log, to feed through GPSbabel later, etc. I'd like to do that *AND* have Google Earth plot it real-time, but I suspect it will be fun trying to get two apps to share the serial connection. Have to do some research / experimentation with that.

No internet required. Google Earth caches the maps you pre-download.

You just need to set it up before hand. My test yesterday was performed with my Wi-Fi disabled, no internet on my laptop. Beyond Google Earth complaining that it could not connect to the servers when it first opened up, it displayed my maps, including all the detail items I had selected and zoomed out way beyond any reasonable potential drift as far as the radius. If I needed internet, I could also use the LTE on my phone, assuming I had service and Bluetooth it to my computer. But like I sucessfully tested, it's not required.

If I understand correctly, there is a limit as to how much the local computer will hold in cache. Have noted that with GPS Rocket Locator. Perhaps Google Earth will behave differently but sometimes if there is no internet connection a program won't work.
I'll store some tiles from a local position and see how it behaves over time. Might spoil a person's day if they show up to a launchsite with no access to the internet and find the cached maptiles won't show up. (Hence, it's smart to have an alternative
method to track be it manually inputting the lat/long into a mapping GPS or using some other method (GPSRL)

Oh, I didn't realize the Mac environment was being utilized. That would certainly help if someone wanted to record a flight with Apple devices. Kurt

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, there is a limit as to how much the local computer will hold in cache. Have noted that with GPS Rocket Locator. Perhaps Google Earth will behave differently but sometimes if there is no internet connection a program won't work.
I'll store some tiles from a local position and see how it behaves over time. Might spoil a person's day if they show up to a launchsite with no access to the internet and find the cached maptiles won't show up. (Hence, it's smart to have an alternative
method to track be it manually inputting the lat/long into a mapping GPS or using some other method (GPSRL)

Oh, I didn't realize the Mac environment was being utilized. That would certainly help if someone wanted to record a flight with Apple devices. Kurt

HD Cache is 2048MB or 2GB for the freebie version, not sure about Pro. However you can create a .kmz file for you launch sites. Do a Google for video files on .kmz files, here is one.

[video=youtube;xXSs1m31M7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXSs1m31M7c[/video]

You want to look up Placemark and Polygon as they pertain to Google Earth. It is also important to set your visual options as well, I typically use all of the 3D options to give it that 3D look, bit not much more options, however this depends on your launch site and what you are trying to do.

Also I am not sure that this is any different on a PC.

Back